Cancelled my ticket but have not received any cancellation confirmation e-mail

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 20, 2018
I just cancelled my United reservation over the phone. The reservation was for travel from Delhi to Boston round-trip starting 30th July 2018. The agent was very helpful. She also graciously agreed to waive the cancellation fee of $220 as a special consideration. She assured me that I will see a full credit of $866.11 on my original form of payment (credit card) within 7-10 days.

It has only been one day since I cancelled, so I am not surprised that the credit has not shown up yet. However, I was expecting a cancellation confirmation e-mail from United specifying the amount I am supposed to get refunded. When I look up my PNR number on United website, it says that there is no such reservation. So I know that the reservation has been cancelled.

I called United back to inquire why I have not received any cancellation confirmation e-mail. I was told that they do not send any e-mails after a ticket is cancelled. I should just watch out for a credit entry on my credit card.

This is very surprising for me. I have no proof that I actually cancelled the reservation and that I was promised a full refund. What happens if the credit does not show up? Will it just be my word against theirs? I think United is giving me unnecessary aggravation which they can easily avoid. What can I do now to protect myself?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you see that the ticket is no longer showing- it was canceled. You don’t get emails saying it was canceled.

Did you cancel within 24 hours of booking? If it was longer than that I am actually shocked they said they would credit your card back.

Keep record of the date, time and who you spoke to and watch your account for a credit.

Jan 25, 2016
Neil is correct. UA does not send cxl email even though it says that they do when you cxl online. If you log in to your UA account and go to Manage Reservations there's a Cancelled tab, it should be there but I don't think it will show the amount of the credit.

I am also surprised that they are waiving the fee. Hope you get what you were promised.