Cancelled Flight Rebooking

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 3, 2018
In late March, my wife and I purchased round trip Delta Comfort seats from Seattle to Amsterdam. A week ago, we were notified that the return flight on Nov. 23rd had been cancelled. We were reticketed from Amsterdam to Paris (2 1/2 hours earlier than original flight), then direct from Paris to Seattle. Certainly not pleased with the change, but did find a nonstop flight the same day (Delta 9378, operated by KLM) from Amsterdam to LAX (which was very doable for us). It was almost an exact match for our original flight!. I contacted Delta. The agent wasn't able to help without change fees and ticket price increases. Talked to a Delta supervisor who said he could book us on the AMS - LAX flight and could waive the change fees and increased ticket prices, but couldn't book the KLM Economy Comfort seats. I asked about a refund of the $129 x 2 price of the seat upgrade, but he said he couldn't do that because it was part of the ticket price, not a separate transaction. We did agree that if we could rebook on Flight 9378, we'd deal with the upgrade cost separately. The supervisor transferred us to someone else to handle the rebook, but then we were told that the change fee could be waived, but couldn't waive the ticket price increase because it was more than 300 miles from the original destination (even though the supervisor said it could be done). I was more than frustrated and angry, so I hung up leaving things as they were (after talking to a different supervisor...no one was willing to put me back in contact with the supervisor who said it could be done...I did have his name). I was hoping Delta would be more accommodating because they caused the change from a flight we chose purposefully for time and convenience. I really believed that finding a way to make the change to flight 9378 would have made a difficult, unexpected situation acceptable to us. Not sure what you might advise, but would appreciate your input.

Interesting side note...a week before the original flight was cancelled, I tried to book our daughter on the same original flight home because she had decided to join us for the last two weeks of our trip. When I called Delta, I was told the flight was "full" and they were no longer taking reservations or stand by requests so we made other arrangements for her to fly home. A week later, the flight was cancelled. Timing seemed strange.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was your original return flight non-stop? If you could have found another non stop to Seattle- they should have had to give it to you at no charge.

The reason they are charging you is because you are changing the gateway as they say.

We have company contacts on top of our pages. Read how to write first and then start writing, escalating it up the executive chain weekly. Let us know how do.

Nov 27, 2017
Was your original flight on Delta and the new flight is now through a partner? I wonder if the flight was on Delta if they would have been able to accommodate?

May 3, 2018
Was your original return flight non-stop? If you could have found another non stop to Seattle- they should have had to give it to you at no charge.

The reason they are charging you is because you are changing the gateway as they say.

We have company contacts on top of our pages. Read how to write first and then start writing, escalating it up the executive chain weekly. Let us know how do.
Yes....our original flight was nonstop from AMS, which makes another non stop so appealing and more convenient. I appreciate the suggestion...I checked the website, but not finding the company contacts. Where should I be looking?

May 3, 2018
Was your original flight on Delta and the new flight is now through a partner? I wonder if the flight was on Delta if they would have been able to accommodate?
I had gotten to the point that we could rebook on the partner, but would cost at least $1300 to begin with. My issue is we have a good option to get home, but since our original nonstop flight was cancelled by Delta, we shouldn't have to pay to do that and we would lose our "Delta Comfort" cost, even though KLM does have an "Economy Comfort" upgrade which is about identical to "Delta Comfort".

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
It seems insane that a paying passenger whose flight was cancelled has to jump through expensive hoops just to get the best flight home. The airlines are a bit nutso about these fees and re-ticketing procedures. You're not the one who changed the city you're returning to, it just happens to be the most convenient flight for YOU. I predict that an appeal per our guidance will result in your getting seats on the flights that are the best for you, at no extra cost. Polite, patient and persistent ... I think you'll prevail.

Sep 19, 2015
I have a question -- is the flight to Sacramento on a separate ticket -- or is it all on the same booking? It sounds like it is a separate ticket, because of the concern over the 300 mile difference.

Had you originally booked SEA to AMS to SEA and now you want to change it to SEA to AMS to LAX?

Delta does offer the comfort + at booking -- it is all added in --, while KLM does not -- one has to chose the economy fare and then add the comfort seats.

May 3, 2018
You wouldn’t have to pay if you opted for a flight into the same airport you originally were. Wanting to fly into LAX is why you are being charged.

On top of our pages is a tab that says Company Contacts. Click on that tab (read the info on how to write) and then go to the airlines link.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/
I know...the issue is that for us LAX is just as convenient as Seattle and the LAX flight is a nearly identical match for our original flight! Thanks for directing me to the Contact List...I've sent my first email to Customer Care requesting their help with this.

May 3, 2018
It seems insane that a paying passenger whose flight was cancelled has to jump through expensive hoops just to get the best flight home. The airlines are a bit nutso about these fees and re-ticketing procedures. You're not the one who changed the city you're returning to, it just happens to be the most convenient flight for YOU. I predict that an appeal per our guidance will result in your getting seats on the flights that are the best for you, at no extra cost. Polite, patient and persistent ... I think you'll prevail.
From your lips to Delta's ears!!! :rolleyes:. I'm glad you can appreciate the issue from our perspective....that has been my stance since I began this process.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
From your lips to Delta's ears!!! :rolleyes:. I'm glad you can appreciate the issue from our perspective....that has been my stance since I began this process.
Aha! Delta told me yesterday that my October return flight from Lexington was cancelled and they had rebooked me on a 2-stop trip. 2.5 hours difference from original res. I called them this morning and offered to fly home the next morning on the non-stop. Done. Took about 4 minutes ... I had booked in first class using miles and cash so she had to get a supervisor's approval. I am the lowest status of SkyMiles, so I don't understand why you had so much trouble. I changed the date, but left the city pair intact, so perhaps that's the key? We have a couple of Delta flyers on our forum, they might have more insight.

Jun 27, 2017
We booked flights on Delta in late November 2017 for travel in early July 2018: PHX-FAI going. YVR-PHX returning. Both require a plane change in SEA. There have been multiple changes ... flight numbers, arrival/departure times, types of planes used, Delta flights only to Delta and Compass Airline flights, etc. No less than 8 changes and we're sure more changes will occur between now and July. So far, the changes have been OK - not as good as the original booking, but OK. It is what it is.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Aha! Delta told me yesterday that my October return flight from Lexington was cancelled and they had rebooked me on a 2-stop trip. 2.5 hours difference from original res. I called them this morning and offered to fly home the next morning on the non-stop. Done. Took about 4 minutes ... I had booked in first class using miles and cash so she had to get a supervisor's approval. I am the lowest status of SkyMiles, so I don't understand why you had so much trouble. I changed the date, but left the city pair intact, so perhaps that's the key? We have a couple of Delta flyers on our forum, they might have more insight.
That’s why- same gateways

May 3, 2018
FYI...our issue has been successfully resolved!! We are now booked on a nonstop from AMS to LAX (at no extra cost) and getting a refund of our Delta Comfort upgrade costs that we can apply on the new KLM flight! Really do appreciate this forum. Special thanks to Neil for directing me to Delta corporate contacts. Resolution came after the first/lowest level contact.

Thanks again....and happy travels!
Jake