Cancelled flight for no reason

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 24, 2015
I had a non-stop flight booked from PHL-SFO, departing 6:45pm and arriving 9:55pm. I booked this flight over a month ago and now United randomly booked me another flight, split into two legs. I asked them on twitter why they put me on a new flight (two legs! PHL-ORD 4:36pm-6:05pm and ORD-SFO 7:30pm-10:10pm) and they just said "We regret to inform you that the evening non-stop flight you originally have is no longer operating." Obviously the new times suck.

What is my recourse? I looked on the UA website and the original flight times are not listed.

Aug 30, 2015
So you were originally scheduled to depart at 6:45, that got changed to 4:36. And your arrival is changed from 9:55 pm to 10:10 pm. What recourse are you looking for? In the scheme of things, these are not big changes.

May 1, 2018
Your recourse is to:
  • ask to be changed to a non-stop flight at a different time (there may not be any seats available on other nonstop flights the same day)
  • ask to be moved to a nonstop out of a different airport, like EWR
  • accept the connecting flight
  • request a full refund

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
For the record, I am with you about non-stop versus stops. We will never opt for a stopover if a non-stop is available, regardless of the price.

One more option is to accept the new routing but ask for some miles to be deposited into your account (assuming you have a mileage account with United) or ask for a voucher to be used toward a future flight. The amount to request depends on how far in advance they notified you of the change. If the flight is in a couple of weeks, they essentially have taken away your opportunity to find another non-stop flight of equal cost.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I had a non-stop flight booked from PHL-SFO, departing 6:45pm and arriving 9:55pm. I booked this flight over a month ago and now United randomly booked me another flight, split into two legs. I asked them on twitter why they put me on a new flight (two legs! PHL-ORD 4:36pm-6:05pm and ORD-SFO 7:30pm-10:10pm) and they just said "We regret to inform you that the evening non-stop flight you originally have is no longer operating." Obviously the new times suck.

What is my recourse? I looked on the UA website and the original flight times are not listed.
Arriving within 15 min of your original arrival is essentially an on-time arrival for your original itinerary.
You have the options noted above. PHL is not a big UA hub. EWR and SFO are.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Arriving within 15 min of your original arrival is essentially an on-time arrival for your original itinerary.
You have the options noted above. PHL is not a big UA hub. EWR and SFO are.
Arriving at the same time is great but the new itinerary leaves 2 hours and 15 minutes earlier than the original which could impact the OP's plans for the day of departure.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@frostin Gotta love UA... They take their schedule as a suggestion and not a mandate. I've lost track of the number of times that I've booked a flight months in advance only to have them change their schedule without any real recourse (of course, if my plans change, I'm out big $).

As someone else said, you have 3 choices really accept UA's rerouting, find a different routing or take a refund. It sucks. Lost track the number of times that UA or DL or ... takes me off the non-stop I paid more for and puts me on the connection I didn't want.

Good Luck!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
@frostin Gotta love UA... They take their schedule as a suggestion and not a mandate. I've lost track of the number of times that I've booked a flight months in advance only to have them change their schedule without any real recourse (of course, if my plans change, I'm out big $).

As someone else said, you have 3 choices really accept UA's rerouting, find a different routing or take a refund. It sucks. Lost track the number of times that UA or DL or ... takes me off the non-stop I paid more for and puts me on the connection I didn't want.

Good Luck!
If you book months in advance on any airline you have a significant chance of a schedule change, some of them minor, some major.
I get changes regularly from UA; some are minor time changes in departure/arrival times, some are major such as a trip next month that was supposed to arrive at 11:30 AM but was changed to 7:30 PM. UA allowed me to change the flights and gave me back the reduction in fare.

Sep 20, 2015
And all of the airlines (including UA) are taking a hit on the 737MAX groundings. UA is probably less hit than others because they didn't fly many of them, but they do need to shuffle their schedules and aircraft because of this.