Cancellation voucher

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 4, 2018
We were planning a trip for the summer and came across good airfare from Tampa to Houston on Spirit Air.
My husband initiated booking the flight but was briefly called away from his desk at work.
When he returned the web page had timed out.
We changed our minds and ended up booking a flight on Frontier same weekend- diffferent location.
We went ahead and booked non refundable hotels.
At the end of the month, reviewing my very expensive American Express bill, I noticed the purchased airfare to Houston. We had never received a confirmation email.
My husband looked through his junk email and resurrected an old email that had gone directly to spam.
We called Spirit to dispute this. As you could assume- no resolution.
We called American Express who understood but there is a clause in their policy that this type of dispute must be settled between the airline.
We could not cancel our Frontier flight as we had hotel, so we canceled our Spirit flight and from the $436 ticket we may be eligible for $186 to be used towards a flight that must be booked in the next 30 days.
Can I use this voucher for hotel?
All the flights I look at cost more to change than to lose the total cost as a $75 fee is added to change per way plus difference in airfare.
Any recourse? Any solutions?
I am now late in my American Express bill due to this added useless expense.
Help!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, the time to walk away from an online purchase is not in the middle of a transaction. Spirit did nothing wrong - apparently your husband started the booking process and walked away. You had 24 hours to cancel that flight with no penalty. And the biggest mistake is you booked through Spirit who is one of the least consumer oriented airlines out there. Spirit did send a confirmation but it went into your spam folder - not their mistake that your email provider marked it as spam.

I would have immediately looked at my credit card statement if I found a timed out transaction on my computer before doing anything. He made an assumption that was wrong because he walked away from the computer. American Express will send you notifications of purchases made without your credit card to your cell phone if you sign up for it. Had you had that you would have seen that immediately.

Your voucher will only be good towards another flight, not the hotel unless you book a full package with them.

We have contacts for Spirit in our company contacts. Read what the main page says about how to write to them and start a writing campaign to as if they can extend the credit for 6 months. I've seen miracles with a well written letter landing on the desk of the right executive and getting the help you need. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Sep 19, 2015
Your husband must have input the credit card number and authorized the purchase before leaving the computer. Those things do not happen on their own. And he was doing this From his desk at work.

Much as I loathe the business model of Spirit they did nothing wrong. They sent a confirmation and your email put it as spam.

I am perplexed how you think there was any reason to dispute this. Now all you can ask for is good will from the company.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My colleagues have said it all ... once you enter your payment information, you're toast. I hope you can find a way to use the residual balance on that first purchase. I'm so sorry this happened and hope you sign up for AmEx alerts in the future. I think your husband is fortunate that you haven't strangled him.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your husband must have input the credit card number and authorized the purchase before leaving the computer. Those things do not happen on their own. And he was doing this From his desk at work.

Much as I loathe the business model of Spirit they did nothing wrong. They sent a confirmation and your email put it as spam.

I am perplexed how you think there was any reason to dispute this. Now all you can ask for is good will from the company.
A dispute would be a fraudulent dispute and most likely be lost. Spirit did nothing wrongs

She most likely would not win and it could cause her to be banned from Spirit.