Cancellation of world cruise and transfer to two shorter holidays

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 9, 2019
I booked a world cruise January 2020. £35,000. It was an incentive to retire at 62 years after working over 40 years as a nurse. I cancelled giving 15 months notice. My retirement age has increased to 66 so I need to work longer. Travel agent said I could transfer to having 2 holidays over 18 months for the same price or loose my £5000 deposit as stipulated in cancellation policy of travel agent and carnival (cunard). Also to pay £100 administration fee. No problem having 2 holidays but I am reluctant to spend my savings on 2 short holidays. I have chosen 2 holidays as stipulated but so far can only spend about £25.000 which is excessive enough. We should like to do a world tour on retirement with the same company. I dislike being micromanaged into choosing 2 expensive holidays. Holidays should bring joy and not grief. My options are limited I either gulp walk away and loose £5000 or blow 35.000 on 2 holidays which I am physically unable to do.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What was the deposit policy when you made the reservation? We would need to see the terms of the booking to comment. If the terms were you booked a non refundable deposit- I don’t think there is anything we can help with.

Feb 9, 2019
What was the deposit policy when you made the reservation? We would need to see the terms of the booking to comment. If the terms were you booked a non refundable deposit- I don’t think there is anything we can help with.
Thanks for your prompt response Neil. Have tried to cut and paste from the policy
Cunard

. All Packages are subject to availability at the time of booking. No Contract shall be made until the deposit (or, where appropriate, the full fare) has been paid, whether or not a booking confirmation has been issued, but all money paid to a travel agent shall be treated as having been paid to Cunard. Failure to pay the balance by the due date shall entitle Cunard to cancel the booking and retain the deposit by way of a cancellation charge. Failure to pay any other amount by the due date shall entitle Cunard to cancel the booking and to retain an amount by way of a cancellation charge as set out in clause 38.

ROL. Travel agent

PAYMENT

3.1 You will be required to pay a non refundable deposit or make full payment for your booking at the time of booking. Payment may be made to us or, if we inform you otherwise, directly to supplier(s) of your travel arrangements.

Sep 19, 2015
If the contract says non-refundable deposit then it is likely just that.

You can write to the company and ask for an exception -- but some companies do not like to keep a deposit in the balance sheet for 4 years -- ie the change in retirement age from 62 to 66.

Honestly I would not want to plan a cruise for four plus years later, as there is so much that can change.

I did read that the changes to the pension program has been terrible in its execution and in informing people of the change, which I am sure is adding to your stress.

Again you can politely write to the executives and ask for an exception.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If I'm understanding you, you would like to cancel this current world cruise and rebook another one AFTER you formally retire. Taking two shorter trips would not be as enjoyable. Since you're not depriving the cruise line of business (I think Cunard will be around for many more years), I would think that something might be able to be negotiated in your favor.

First, ask your travel agent to meet with her regional/sales rep to see if you can take the cruise you want when you want ... and apply the current deposit to that cruise. If this is unsuccessful, compose a concise, polite email and use our Company Contacts to request an exception to their rules. Emphasize that you booked the cruise in good faith, but now the retirement age has been extended and you need to continue working until (give them the date). Tell them that you would love to take this 2020 cruise but must heed the call to work. Many people are aware that experienced nurses are very valuable. Be very appreciative of their time and attention. Best of luck, and please let us know what happens.

Feb 9, 2019
Many thanks Christina. I will try that and ask for an exception
If I'm understanding you, you would like to cancel this current world cruise and rebook another one AFTER you formally retire. Taking two shorter trips would not be as enjoyable. Since you're not depriving the cruise line of business (I think Cunard will be around for many more years), I would think that something might be able to be negotiated in your favor.

First, ask your travel agent to meet with her regional/sales rep to see if you can take the cruise you want when you want ... and apply the current deposit to that cruise. If this is unsuccessful, compose a concise, polite email and use our Company Contacts to request an exception to their rules. Emphasize that you booked the cruise in good faith, but now the retirement age has been extended and you need to continue working until (give them the date). Tell them that you would love to take this 2020 cruise but must heed the call to work. Many people are aware that experienced nurses are very valuable. Be very appreciative of their time and attention. Best of luck, and please let us know what happens.
Many thanks for your response..I am going to try the exception route. You word things in such a positive way. You are so correct I will not be depriving cunard from any business..I will let you know . Warm regards.

Feb 9, 2019

Feb 9, 2019
Dear jsn 55 it’s such good news. I heard from carnival today and they will allow me to transfer to 3 holidays which is a better offer than my travel agent of just 2 holidays or loose the deposit. I think your line that iam not depriving cunard of anything really helped. I thank you and appreciate the time you gave to me

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Dear jsn 55 it’s such good news. I heard from carnival today and they will allow me to transfer to 3 holidays which is a better offer than my travel agent of just 2 holidays or loose the deposit. I think your line that iam not depriving cunard of anything really helped. I thank you and appreciate the time you gave to me
INCREDIBLE NEWS! Well done. I am of the opinion that one must just march in and assume that whatever you want will be granted to you. Writing from that kind of positive point is often very successful. I am just thrilled for you, Dolally. We are sailing with Cunard in May around Norway ... I will tell your story to everyone I meet on the Queen Victoria. Please check all the fine print of their offer and make sure you understand it all and it's exactly what you want. I'll raise a glass to you in Southampton. You've made my day.

Feb 9, 2019
Just to update you Neil. I did email ceo mr Kruse at Carival and in contrast to my lovely response from carnival uk I got

“As you have booked through a Travel Agent, they hold your booking contract.

The options available to you would be based on the information your Travel Agent provides.

They do have a dedicated helpdesk within our Contact Centre that can be used for assistance with your booking on your behalf.

Unfortunately, we are unable to discuss options for Travel Agent bookings by email.

Kind regards

Jessica
Guest Services
Cunard Line

They do sound like sticklers. So it was good I contacted 2 coe

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I said go TO bat for you. That means step up to the plate and advocate for their customer.

That’s well known expression we have in the US. Your travel agent is supposed to be your advocate and do what they can for you.