Cancellation due to weather.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 19, 2016
Recently booked a 5 day Caribbean cruise with Carnival.It was supposed to be a gift for my parents who had come to visit us . But on the morning of the sail date (April18th 2016)due to heavy rains and flooding in Houston/Galveston area we were unable to make it to the port on time.We did call the cruise people telling them of the situation making sure they were informed as time went.The weather situation was covered by press and media.
Carnival sent me a cancellation letter saying they would reimburse only the taxes,port service charges and prepaid gratuities.i sent them a mail asking them to review my case and if possible reschedule them for a similar cruise on the 23rd of April.
Details of the cruise:
5day western Carribean cruise.
Sail date: April 18th 2016
Ship: Carnival Liberty
Total charge: $1329.
My question is if it's possible they would reschedule or at least give me a partial/full refund?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Here is the Carnival Executive contacts. Hang up your phone, the Customer Service phone reps no not have any authority to make any exceptions other than quote the rules. IF you had Travel Insurance contact them immediately. IF you booked your cruise & air travel with a credit card contact the card issuer right away as many credit cards have some level of travel insurance as a card benefit.

Carnival contacts:
http://elliott.org/company-contacts/carnival-cruise-lines/

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you buy travel insurance? I don't think Carnival will refund you because the other passengers were able to get there and get on the ship. Trip insurance might cover this but they may say you should have left the night before or earlier. Cruise ships go out regardless and if the ship sailed, they expect you on it. Trip insurance in many cases covers weather events like this.

Apr 19, 2016
Thanks for replying..No I didn't get a travel insurance and we were traveling by car from Austin.Halfway thru we were stuck in a road block due to high waters.let me check with the credit card company..

Jan 5, 2015
Spring, Texas
...we were traveling by car from Austin.
Even in good weather, that's not a short drive. For anyone taking a cruise out of Galveston, I recommend they get a hotel room on the south side of Houston and/or Galveston the night before departure. Not only are you closer to the port, but there are plenty of hotels in the area and they cover virtually all price points.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@Mrs Abraham - I'm so sorry your cruise didn't happen because of the terrible weather in the Houston/Galveston area. The news is still featuring stories about the flooding there.

Please follow the advice in post #3 above by @JVillegirl541 . Use the Carnival Contacts on the link she provided.

Although it's unlikely that Carnival will reimburse or reschedule the bookings (for reasons noted previously: you had no travel insurance, the ship itself was not affected by the bad weather), you'll never know until you try. And it's WORTH a try ...

Please let us know what transpires.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a disappointment, I'm so sorry you couldn't get there. Don't give up on rescheduling, tho. You could get lucky and have a sympathetic person read your email. We can only hope for that. You are asking them for a huge favor, but if the cruise you want isn't sold out, they may just put you in a nice cabin. It's so worth the try.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you call and speak with the folks at the Tripinsurancestore and Insuremytrip they both (I'm sure there are others) have really knowledgeable staff and can help you choose the policy that covers the things you are most concerned about. You would definitely be looking at policies that covered your trip "door to door".

What travel insurance product covers a missed departure due to a road closure?
Here's a clause from a "Travel Insured International" policy that addresses this issue in section b):

COVERAGE D MISSED CONNECTION
If You miss Your cruise or tour departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, due to:
a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the Common Carrier);

b) documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure;
c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, Natural Disaster, terrorism or riot.
We will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount shown in the Confirmation of Benefits, for:
a) Your Additional Transportation Cost to join Your Trip; and
b) Your Prepaid expenses for the unused land or water Travel Arrangements ; and
c) reasonable accommodation, telephone and meal expenses up to $200 per day necessarily incurred by You for which You have proof of purchase and which were not paid for or provided by any other source.
These benefits will not duplicate any other benefits payable under the Policy or any coverage(s) attached to the Policy.

Apr 19, 2016
Here is my update..so I sent a mail to the primary & secondary contacts that jvillegirl541 sent me, in addition I also sent a mail to reviews@carnival.com.Within a week the guest administration coordinator contacted me thru email and said they have made an exception and gave me future cruise credit for the full amount valid for 24 months.So things turned out good.Hopefully we can take another cruise soon.I also want to thank you all for the valuable inputs and advice that taught me a few things.

Jan 5, 2015
Spring, Texas
It is refreshing to hear that Carnival did the right thing and I am glad our contacts worked for you.

But please buy travel insurance that covers bad weather for that next cruise so you don't have to worry about something like this.
Or stay much closer to port the night before you depart!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should still have travel insurance - we had clients who had a car accident on the way to the airport, clients who slipped and broke her ankle two weeks before leaving, client who developed internal bleeding a month before this trip and almost died, and a client who had a heart attack on a cruise ship and had to be air lifted off and in a hospital in S. America for three weeks before being medi-vaced home (over $100,000 in bills). All of them had insurance. If they hadn't, they would all have been in a lot of financial distress from their losses.