Canceled and re-booked on cheaper flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 30, 2016
Hi all!

Okay, I know this is probably a shot in the dark, but thought I would ask you all anyway... We had booked Delta back in August for a flight in January. Of course, now the flights are significantly cheaper (over $100/person). So, Delta canceled our original flight and re-booked us on a flight that is later the same day. Is there any way that I can get Delta to give us a refund for the cheaper rate?? I'm guessing the odds of this happening are slim and none and slim just left town (on a Southwest flight! ;-) but I figured its worth a shot, right?!

Thanks!!

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Hi Maddy,

Is the change in schedule significant? You definitely have an opportunity to contest the change that Delta has made and should request a refund if the change is more than an hour later than the original departure/arrival. Can you give us more detail (without revealing any personal info) about your original departure and arrival schedule and new departure and arrival schedule?

Oct 30, 2016
Hi Maddy,

Is the change in schedule significant? You definitely have an opportunity to contest the change that Delta has made and should request a refund if the change is more than an hour later than the original departure/arrival. Can you give us more detail (without revealing any personal info) about your original departure and arrival schedule and new departure and arrival schedule?
Hi - thanks for your quick response! It is from Minneapolis to Tampa on January 14, 2017. We had originally scheduled for 9:10 a.m. and the flight is now re-booked for 11:30 a.m., the same day. Both flights were non-stop. I had booked directly online with Delta. They changed my seats, which I went online and changed to different seats. I also sent an e-mail to customer service, asking for a refund in the difference of the price. Hopefully, I didn't mess up any chances of getting a refund by doing that!
Does that help?

Thanks for your help!

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I would suggest requesting a refund from Delta for the airfare due to the schedule change. I would cite that the schedule change does not work for you. Search their website to see "their" rules about schedule changes and refunds. Regardless of what their rules say, we often see refunds granted without question when the change is more than one hour. I, myself, have received a refund due to a schedule change of more than one hour on Delta. They may offer to place you on a different routing but I would stick to the 're-scheduling does not work for you' without mentioning a less expensive fare elsewhere. In most cases, we advise of doing all correspondence by email but in this case, I would call them. If/when you call them make sure to get the agent's name and any other documentation that can support the refund. I assume you have not purchased the lower fare tickets with Southwest yet? This is where the fare game is a risk........I would not suggest buying new tickets until you have confirmation of a refund from Delta but in the mean time the fares could escalate, though not probable.

Oct 30, 2016
I would suggest requesting a refund from Delta for the airfare due to the schedule change. I would cite that the schedule change does not work for you. Search their website to see "their" rules about schedule changes and refunds. Regardless of what their rules say, we often see refunds granted without question when the change is more than one hour. I, myself, have received a refund due to a schedule change of more than one hour on Delta. They may offer to place you on a different routing but I would stick to the 're-scheduling does not work for you' without mentioning a less expensive fare elsewhere. In most cases, we advise of doing all correspondence by email but in this case, I would call them. If/when you call them make sure to get the agent's name and any other documentation that can support the refund. I assume you have not purchased the lower fare tickets with Southwest yet? This is where the fare game is a risk........I would not suggest buying new tickets until you have confirmation of a refund from Delta but in the mean time the fares could escalate, though not probable.
Hi Patina,
The fare (believe it or not!) is actually cheapest on Delta, so I would be perfectly happy if they just gave me the difference between the fare I paid and the cost of the fare now. Since I already sent an e-mail should I wait to see if I get a response or should I send another email saying that the change doesn't work for me (but then I would probably re-book the same flight! :rolleyes:) Did I screw myself by changing my seats already and sending an e-mail to customer service asking for a refund of the price difference? Should I just call the main customer service line tomorrow? Or is there another number I should call?

Thanks again!

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I think your option of waiting to hear what their response is, is a good one. In the end, you want to cancel your original fare and book a new fare which would not be possible if the schedule wasn't changed.....you would be stuck with the original fare. Something to consider if/when Delta responds: would you be satisfied with a travel voucher for future travel? If so, they will be more likely to concede to your request since they are not giving a "refund". If you haven't received a response from your email within 48 hours I would call the main customer service number to handle the cancellation and refund. If you get to that point, I would not muddy the waters with the fare difference but focus on the refund and book the new ticket separately. Make sure you get confirmation of the refund via email, I would not trust an agent's word. Unfortunately, we have seen too many agents say whatever they need to get a customer off the phone even if they did not have the authority to do so. Watch the fares in the mean time so that you are not caught out though!

R

Realitoes

Depending on how significant the schedule change is (as far as change in times I believe with Delta it is 90 minutes or more), you normally have two choices 1) one accept the new schedule, 2) request a refund.

If the ticket is cheaper right now, you should be able call in and request a refund of your current ticket based on a schedule change and buy a new one at the cheaper fare. Keep in mind that the refund may take a week or longer to process. If you prepaid luggage/seats/priority boarding, etc, you might want to first check that they are refundable - because you will probably lose them otherwise. The fare rules of the new ticket will dictate the possibility of future voluntary changes and associated fees. Something to consider, especially if you have a round trip.

The key is they probably won't give you a cash refund of the difference without canceling and re-purchasing. What they may do though is give you a voucher towards a future flight for the difference if you ask. Just make sure you get it in writing and understand when, where, and how it can be used.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
@Maddy My last Delta flight was an hour late and Delta proactively texted stating it would issue a refund for the ticket. Delta will do this for you if you don't accept the flight change. Then you can rebook at the current, cheaper price. Since you are happy with the new flight, it would seem simpler for Delta to just refund the price difference but airline ticketing is convoluted. I would just call and ask them before the fare increases again.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As my colleagues have said, the only way to go this is to call and tell them the new schedule doesn't work, and you want to cancel. Then you can rebook.

You can ask the rep. before you cancel if they can credit you the difference in price but the answer is usually no. Then youvab tell them the flight doesn't work and you want a full refund. But don't wait too long and check pricing the day you ask to make sure prices haven't changed. Delta sometimes has a one or two day same price that may not still be in effect the day you go to book.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My colleagues are correct ... we always advise handling these things in writing, but your case can be resolved easily on the phone. The schedule change doesn't work for you, you want to cancel that tix. Then you buy a new tix at the lower fare. Just be sure there are seats available on the flights you want to book.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Yik! Remember you are likely cancelling your entire ticket and not just this one leg! So check the pricing on the new fares for the entire trip and seats available.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I've noticed with Delta that sometimes when you have to change a flight, when you select a different flight, it will actually show the difference in fare and refund the difference. I definitely think it's worth asking, even if they only refund it in vouchers, especially since it was their change not yours.

Oct 30, 2016
Hi all!
First of all, thanks so much for the great advice and responses. I did call Delta today, and honestly, they were very, very nice. I asked for a full refund, and they were happy to cancel my ticket and give me a refund. I got a confirmation e-mail before I hung up the phone with Delta. By the time I called today, the price for the same flight on Delta had increased over $100 than what I originally paid. So, I re-booked with Southwest, and saved about $75, overall. Not as much as I was hoping, but every little bit helps!
Again, I really appreciate all of your help!
Thanks!!