Cancel for any reason and visa applications

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 12, 2016
Morning All,

I have a friend that is applying for a tourist visa to Canada, it would help if we could prove health insurance and airline tickets were purchased. But if the visa is not approved then the change fees would probably make the ticket worthless. So my question is, do you think cancel for any reason insurance would cover the airline ticket if the visa were not issued?

Thanks

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Morning All,

I have a friend that is applying for a tourist visa to Canada, it would help if we could prove health insurance and airline tickets were purchased. But if the visa is not approved then the change fees would probably make the ticket worthless. So my question is, do you think cancel for any reason insurance would cover the airline ticket if the visa were not issued?

Thanks
Depending on the dates of the planned travel, you can also buy a fully refundable ticket and then cancel it and purchase a non-refundable ticket when the visa is issued. That way you would get a full refund if the visa was not issued.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Morning All,

Thanks
If it’s Cancel for Any Reason it should but you must call the company you are considering and ask. We aren’t licensed insurance brokers so we can’t state definitively yes or no. But you usually do not get
100% back with CFAR, you only get a portion of it back.

Make sure your friend understands that Canada is very strict on allowing people to visit - if he has had any type of legal problems, they may not issue a Visa. For US citizens, a DWI or DUI from years ago can result in not being allowed to enter Canada.

Dec 17, 2018
If it’s Cancel for Any Reason it should but you must call the company you are considering and ask. We aren’t licensed insurance brokers so we can’t state definitively yes or no. But you usually do not get
100% back with CFAR, you only get a portion of it back.

Make sure your friend understands that Canada is very strict on allowing people to visit - if he has had any type of legal problems, they may not issue a Visa. For US citizens, a DWI or DUI from years ago can result in not being allowed to enter Canada.
SERIOUSLY??? YIKES! I had no idea (not that I have any DUI's or any legal problems... but... OMG... it seems like everyone I run into these days has had at least one DUI, so I don't even judge people based on that...)

Sep 19, 2015
SERIOUSLY??? YIKES! I had no idea (not that I have any DUI's or any legal problems... but... OMG... it seems like everyone I run into these days has had at least one DUI, so I don't even judge people based on that...)
In many countries a DUI is a serious criminal offense -- not like here where one hears of drivers with 6 previous convictions and minor license suspensions killing someone.

Nov 12, 2016
Canada is not the "open arms" country they pretend to be. They "may use a DUI as a reason not to let you in, while in fact there are other discriminatory factors at play.

Nov 12, 2016
Depending on the dates of the planned travel, you can also buy a fully refundable ticket and then cancel it and purchase a non-refundable ticket when the visa is issued. That way you would get a full refund if the visa was not issued.
That is an excellent idea, thanks.

Jan 6, 2015
CFAR would, in most cases, protect 75% of the non-refundables. A new non-refundable flight can sometimes be a thousand dollars more than the original. You can simulate that by checking flights that are closer to today's date . . .