• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 6, 2018
I've booked a flight to Hong Kong 9/13/18 - 9/25/18, on Hong Kong Airlines, through Expedia and purchased trip insurance (link to policy, http://bit.ly/2NQLvMD). The policy states, "The Company will reimburse the Insured a benefit, up to the Maximum Limit shown in the Schedule or Declarations Page if an Insured cancels his/her Trip or is unable to continue on his/her Trip due to any of the following Unforeseen events: ...the Insured or Traveling Companion is involuntarily terminated or laid off through no fault of his or her own provided that he or she has been an active employee for the same employer for at least 1 year. Termination must occur following the effective date of coverage. This provision is not applicable to temporary employment, seasonal employment, independent contractors or self-employed persons..."

I have not been terminated however, I work in the mortgage industry and business is beyond slow, companies are laying off employees and in an effort to avoid layoffs, my company has issued massive pay cuts and let us know no one was to take any time off (for vacations, leaving early, etc.) for the time being as we need to be present to generate business. I have been employed with this company for 5 years and really need to keep my job. Side note, it will be quite difficult for me to afford this trip now as I was definitely not expecting such a large pay cut.

What are you thoughts on the insurance company (AON) refunding or crediting back to expedia)? When I visited the site to file a claim, https://www.aontravelclaim.com/#/whatYouNeed/, there was no employment option under Trip Cancellation, only Medical, Death, Jury duty, Traffic accident, Appearance in court, and Home made uninhabitable.

Please advise.

Thank you!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You most likely have your claim declined. We sell these policies and it is specific for a layoff, not salary cuts or the scenario you describe.

We are not adjusters but based on the experience I have had helping clients with claims- they only cover a layoff.

Sep 19, 2015
It something is not listed as covered I would expect it not to be covered. Not a lawyer or insurance adjuster but my thought is no.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What an awful situation, I'm so sorry. All I can think of is to have a frank discussion with your supervisor to see if there's any way you can make the trip.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
What an awful situation, I'm so sorry. All I can think of is to have a frank discussion with your supervisor to see if there's any way you can make the trip.
I think it is the cost of the trip that is a problem in addition to taking the time off.

Dec 19, 2014
Since you have not been "involuntarily terminated or laid off through no fault of his or her own", and you are still employed, albeit, you have a pay cut, the insurance will NOT pay out.

At this time, my recommended strategy is to try and salvage what you can.
Cancel any accommodations or services that will still allow you to cancel (ie hotels, etc)
A polite letter to the airline, asking for one time goodwill exception for a CREDIT for future air travel may be considered. Hopefully as your job situation improves, you could take the trip in the future.

Jul 13, 2016
Depending on the penalties on the ticket, you may be able to cancel and retain the funds for a future trip, with a change fee penalty. However, it would have to be on Hong Kong Airlines, and typically travel must be completed within one year of the issuing of the ticket.

Sep 6, 2018
Thank you all very much for your input. I find myself in a catch-22...if I go on the trip, I will be terminated however, if that happens, it will technically not be involuntary since I elected to travel knowing the consequences.

I did try to change the dates but, it would cost less to purchase a new ticket.

I have free accommodations as I'm visiting a friend. The hardship comes from not making any money while I'm away and of course, not having a job to come home to. Anyways, looks like I'm going to have to eat the ticket or pray that I come down with chicken pox or something a few days before my travel date. :/

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can ask if you can cancel the ticket for a future credit less a cancellation fee. It might be your only option. The credit will only be good usually for a year from the date you purchased.

Did your company approve your vacation when you first booked it?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Flights are already paid for, food's cheap and hotel budgets can be bare-bones. If the alternative is to lose the air tix, I'd try nearly anything to make it work.
The problem is his company is telling him they’ll terminate him if he takes the vacation. That’s why I asked if they had approved the trip when he scheduled it.

“find myself in a catch-22...if I go on the trip, I will be terminated however, if that happens, it will technically not be involuntary since I elected to travel knowing the consequences.”

The issue is he would have to be laid off before he goes on the trip, not as a result of taking the trip.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The problem is his company is telling him they’ll terminate him if he takes the vacation. That’s why I asked if they had approved the trip when he scheduled it.
Well
“find myself in a catch-22...if I go on the trip, I will be terminated however, if that happens, it will technically not be involuntary since I elected to travel knowing the consequences.”

The issue is he would have to be laid off before he goes on the trip, not as a result of taking the trip.
Well, surely it's worth some dialogue with management ... unless there's a formal memo out stating the termination threat. I would use every strategy possible to try to save this trip. Don't we always preach "it's worth a try, all they can say is no"?

Dec 19, 2014
Well, surely it's worth some dialogue with management ... unless there's a formal memo out stating the termination threat. I would use every strategy possible to try to save this trip. Don't we always preach "it's worth a try, all they can say is no"?
Depends on how "toxic" the work environment is... and it sounds pretty toxic.

Even if the company "approved" the trip, the approval can be rescinded, without running afoul of labor laws.

Sep 6, 2018
The trip was approved but, this was before our industry started really feeling the downturn in our market. The work environment is not toxic but, at the moment, it is very desperate. Extreme measures have been taken in an attempt to avoid any layoffs and since my my performance directly affects other employees, my taking a leave could be detrimental to others and snowball to effect the entire company. :(

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you tried speaking to your supervisors and explain the monetary loss you will face? It’s reakky unfair that after you have paid this money with prior approval that they are now rescinding this.

Call the airline and ask if the airline would give you a credit less a cancellation fee for a trip within a year of the date you bought the ticket.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I agree with Neil's latest suggestion. If you haven't asked the airline yet it's worth a call to ask for a refund, the worse they can say is "No". Also, as others have said, tell your manager that you booked the trip when you had approval and while you understand the need for everyone to pitch in, you paid for the vacation when it was approved and having the vacation will help your productivity when you return.

Sep 6, 2018
I have to clarify, I am free to take the trip it's just that I won't have a job when I return and most likely neither will at least one other person because of lack of things for them to work on due directly to my absence...the reason for the pay cuts was to avoid letting anyone go for as long as possible. My taking a trip will just make it easier on them to let me go which is what they wanted to do in the first place (not me personally but, any employee), to ease the burden. No one cares about an approved trip when they're trying to keep the company alive.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Perhaps you should speak to a lawyer to see if you have any rights to sue if they terminate you for taking the trip.

Otherwise - your only option is to call and cancel your tickets and see if you can get a credit less the cancellation fees to use within a year from the date you booked.

The insurance will not cover you because you haven't been terminated according to what you have shown.

I don't think we can offer any other solutions for you and we have answered your question. If you have more questions about the insurance, you should call the insurance company directly. They are the only ones that can give you the correct information.