Can I/Should I apply for EC 261 compensation?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 1, 2018
Hello, I live in the Bay Area. Last week, Norwegian cancelled my direct flight from Oakland to Barcelona about 30 hours before flight time "due to technical issues." I was notified by text message. They offered me 'free rebooking' or a full refund. When I looked on-line, there were no other flights available on Norwegian that same day. As last minute fares are quite expensive, I was able to pull together points and book an award ticket on another airline, with one stop, and while it took 7 hours longer, I arrived in Barcelona about the same time if my Norwegian flight wasn't cancelled. In the beginning, it looked like Norwegian had cancelled my entire reservation - including my return ticket, but with a phone call and a on-line form, I was able to keep my return ticket and Norwegian refunded my ticket for the cancelled flight.

I do like Norwegian and their premium economy cabin and for now, they are the only direct flight from the Bay Area to Spain. I fly there 2-3 times a year. My question is - do I qualify for the 600 euro compensation under EC261? Would it be unethical for me to ask for it? Will Norwegian 'blacklist' me for asking for it?

I was able to recover from the cancellation, but it was really stressful, took several hours and interrupted my plans on my last two days before flying. Please note that even if I do qualify for the 'compensation' I still may not ask for it.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions about this. Thank you.

Apr 1, 2018
Why do you think it could be unethical? Even though you recovered, it was at a cost.
I've never done this before and I don't know the actual purpose. There is so much bad behavior in just about every aspect of flying and I just want to make sure I'm not being a jerk by applying for compensation if none is due. I do appreciate your response. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2016
Hello, I live in the Bay Area. Last week, Norwegian cancelled my direct flight from Oakland to Barcelona about 30 hours before flight time "due to technical issues." I was notified by text message. They offered me 'free rebooking' or a full refund. When I looked on-line, there were no other flights available on Norwegian that same day. As last minute fares are quite expensive, I was able to pull together points and book an award ticket on another airline, with one stop, and while it took 7 hours longer, I arrived in Barcelona about the same time if my Norwegian flight wasn't cancelled. In the beginning, it looked like Norwegian had cancelled my entire reservation - including my return ticket, but with a phone call and a on-line form, I was able to keep my return ticket and Norwegian refunded my ticket for the cancelled flight.

I do like Norwegian and their premium economy cabin and for now, they are the only direct flight from the Bay Area to Spain. I fly there 2-3 times a year. My question is - do I qualify for the 600 euro compensation under EC261? Would it be unethical for me to ask for it? Will Norwegian 'blacklist' me for asking for it?

I was able to recover from the cancellation, but it was really stressful, took several hours and interrupted my plans on my last two days before flying. Please note that even if I do qualify for the 'compensation' I still may not ask for it.

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions about this. Thank you.
It's definitely not unethical in the slightest. The EU261 compensation was DESIGNED to be a penalty on the airline above and beyond the obligation to either refund or rebook, as a way to provide airlines additional incentive to deliver passengers as promised. Collecting the €600 in this case is exactly what the EU intended. Collect your €600, and feel no concerns at all.

The only case in which I might feel a bit dubious about collecting EU261 compensation is one in which the airline proactively provided me a materially better experience than what I had paid for. For example (assuming you were in economy on Norwegian), if they had contacted you 30 hours before departure and said "our flight is cancelled, but we've got a seat held for you in business class on another carrier that will take the same or less time to get you there," then I might just let it go. Absent that, collect what you're due.