Can I get a refund?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 19, 2018
Wow air- wow....have I learned! We booked a flight on Wow Air from LAX to KEF for 10 days return travel in January 2019. On another separate ticket we booked a round trip flight to KEF to LGW also on Wow Air during those 10 days. We planned to return to KEF to LAX. Wow air cancelled our return ticket KEF to LAX! WOW offered a full refund on the iceland ticket, or an earlier return date on KEF to LAX. We were able to cancel the ticket KEF to LGW . So we took the earlier date return and shortened our traveling.
We made hotel reservation in London that we found our are non refundable. Any advice on how to get a refund on the hotel in London?
I am not sure which forum to post in, my apologies if this is incorrect.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you booked a nonrefundable rate- it’s non refundable. The only way to get a refund is if you bought travel insurance. Put in a claim.

If you didn’t buy travel insurance- call the credit card you used to buy the trip and see if they offer any type of travel insurance with your credit card.

Dec 19, 2018
Thank you for your response! I have travel insurance with WOW air and they said it does not not cover hotels issues. I did contact the credit card and they started a dispute, however I called and asked about the travel insurance and they said they start with a dispute.

Sep 19, 2015
WOW has serious financial problems.
The last attempted merger was called off. WOW has to return some of its planes as they cannot afford payments and have to reduce the schedule. And WOW is selling other planes to raise cash.

If you booked non refunadable rooms the hotel has no obligation to refund you. It is not the hotel’s fault that WOW is in precarious financial shape. If the hotel says no to a refund there is nothing you can do.

I am not even sure if most travel insurance would cover this as WOW is not in bankruptcy but is cutting flights. I am not sure if this is trip interruption as the trip has not started.

It is too late now but did you consider getting a refund on WOW and booking with a carrier that is not in serious financial trouble?

Dec 19, 2018
Thank you for the reply. I am aware of the Wow problems now. We purchased these tickets many months ago. We were just notified this week of the flight cancellation and we did consider booking with another carrier, but financially it is not an option now.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for your response! I have travel insurance with WOW air and they said it does not not cover hotels issues. I did contact the credit card and they started a dispute, however I called and asked about the travel insurance and they said they start with a dispute.
If you didn’t buy a policy that includes the hotel, it wouldn’t cover the hotel- you needed to buy a separate policy for the hotel.

Your credit card company gave you terrible advice to dispute the charge- you will likely lose the dispute because the hotel did nothing wrong- you chose a nonrefundable rate. I’m very surprised they advised this. I suggest you call back and spend to a supervisor and ask about whether or not you have insurance in the card.

If you don’t, you are probably out of luck.

Sep 19, 2015
I am surprised that the rep told you to do a credit card dispute — what bad advice. Honestly it is not fair to the hotel. Are you planning on staying at the hotel where you are currently disputing the charge?

No one forced you to book a non refundable rate. The hotel did nothing wrong and is not the cause of this. You entered into a contract with the hotel and now want to break it. Is that an ethical thing to do?

WOW has caused a lot of grief and caused many people additional expenses. It has been badly run, expanding rapidly and operating on credit without enough revenue.

If you bought WOW’s cancellation protection it does not cover hotels. Or was it a different policy?