Can any body help me _ against over charging by a HongKong Hotel booked on BOOKING.COM

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 12, 2019
My Travel Dates/Holiday visit to HongKong
Checkin 31 Dec' 2018
Check out 05 Jan’ 2019

1) Used Booking.com to reserve 01-DoubleBed-Room for stay at Hotel Silka Seaview, HongKong
Upon Arrival at Hotel Sold out and therefore, Hotel Refunded full amount
(Note Booking Reference Nbr 1xxxxxxx8 Pin Code xxxx / Room Booking Amount (on Website) Charges Reversed Amount is HKD 4,950

2) Used Booking.com for room reservations for stay at Reliance Guest House
Erroneously booked 2-DoubleBed Rooms (instead of my requirement of 01-Double Bed Room).
Cancelled the entire transaction within-the-next-minute-or-two
(Note Booking Reference Nbr 1xxxxxxxxx Pin Code xxxx / Room Booking Amount (on Website) HKD 5,806.80
Charges Billed by Reliance is HKD 5,806

3) Used Booking.com for fresh room reservations for stay at Reliance Guest House
Booked 1-DoubleBed-Room
(Note Booking Reference Nbr 11xxxxxxxx Pin Code xxxx / Room Booking Amount (on Website) HKD 2903.40
Charges Billed by Reliance in two debits (transactions) i.e. (HKD 1,484 + HKD 2,000 = HKD 3,484)

4) Total Amount charged point 2 & 3 is HKD 5,806 + HKD 1,484 + HKD 2,000 = HKD 9,290

5) At Hotel (Reliance Guest House):
At Check-in, Single Bed Room Provided (Very Small Bed) Two persons could barely squeeze) and we had no space to even keep our Stroller and Hand Bags. Water clogging in the bathroom..
Next Day : Double Bed Room was provided // Yet the room amenities were (Single Faucet to bathe and to wash/clean after passing stool) still with same set of problems; cleaning of the room was done once during our 5 days stay. And the smell in the room was so pungent

6) For your information, we have been in regular touch with booking.com officials but all our efforts and communication are futile as NO consideration for our plea.

7) We have been charged for 3 Double rooms for 5 nights.

Presently have blocked Credit Card and given instructions to Bank Not to Pay/Release the Room-Reservation Amounts in favour of Booking.Com/Reliance
Amounts Blocked HKD 5,806 + HKD 1,484 + HKD 2,000 = HKD 9,290

Prayer
a) I request a RELIEF FROM THIS COMMERCIAL SITUATION and writing to you in distress. Request for reversal of the first booking (Point no 2.. two room booking, Booking Reference Nbr 180xxxxxxx) CHARGES HKD 5,806.

b) We went through this hell but still don’t want to be harsh and would still take the penalty of one night (for one double room)… but if they credit the amount of HKD 5,806 booking which was erroneously made (and canceled) it will be appreciated.

c) As per Point No. 2, the billing amount was HKD 2,903 but they charged us HKD 3,484 so the balance difference of HKD 583 SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED AND SHOULD BE REFUNDED.

Please oblige us by seeking an amicable/reasonable settlement for this booking.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards
Nitin Agarwal

* Please oblige/advise us your email, where we could send the exchange with relevant authorities.

Edited by a moderator to remove booking numbers & attachments that contain personal information

Last edited by a moderator:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There might be something we could help with, but your narrative is long and complex. May I suggest that you make a concise listing of the facts only so we can have a look at your situation.

Jan 12, 2019
(a) ABOUT SILKA BOOKED .....
XXLD BY HOTEL (Hotels Error) ... we suffer the consequences of booking in Hurry
(b) ABOUT ERROR BY ME (in hurry from Hotel Lobby) for BOOKING RELIANCE
(should we suffer) ... WE ARE BEING CHARGED FOR THREE DOUBLE BED ROOMS

and
(c) SEEKING REASONABLE SETTLEMENT .... READY TO PAY REASONABLE PENALTY FOR SECOND ROOM (as we have occupied One Room)

Mar 17, 2015
When you booked used booking.com, did you book a non refundable rate? You are going to have to do some artful begging in hopes of getting some money back if you did. You need to write to the execs at booking.com to see if they will refund the amount, you may also have to write to the hotel.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Jan 12, 2019
Did you book nonrefundable rates? If you did, it doesn’t matter if you noticed it a nano second later. Non refundable is just that- non refundable.
Dear Sir ( Mr Neil Maley) If NonRefundandable rate puts me on the matt, ...... then ...WHO SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE for ....... the Cancellation of Room Reserved (through Booking.Com) at Hotel Silka. It was a confirmed and fully paid (NonRefundable) Room-Reservation at Hotel Silka. Upon reaching Hotel Silka HongKong,.... we were told that they can not offer us the room AS THEY ARE OVER SOLD. They refunded our monies (to our credit card). They left us stranded without a Hotel......... It was thus in hurry and in panic i booked again (through Booking.com) TWO DOUBLE ROOMS (at Reliance International Guest House) .... and then cancelled it the very next minute ......... to correctly Rebook ONE DOUBLE ROOM (at Reliance International Guest House itself).
Thus i am being charged for THREE DOUBLE Rooms

I look forward to _ from consideration Booking.Com _ to be thoughtful and be a bit supportive .....
WHY SHOULD THEY BE ONLY TAKING MY MONEY ... AND NOT RE-COMPENSATING ME OF THEIR MISTAKE.

I look forward to pay even for one-night-retention-charge for the second-room (wrongly) booked in panic and in hurry _ by me.
Regards

Jan 12, 2019
There might be something we could help with, but your narrative is long and complex. May I suggest that you make a concise listing of the facts only so we can have a look at your situation.
Dear Sir (JSN55)
We had booked Hotel Silka. Upon arrival at Hotel _ we were told, that they are over-booked. Hence they refunded us the money.
We were left stranded without a room

In hurry and a bit of nervousness (booked Hotel Reliance International Guest House) 2Double Room _ but cancelled it the very next minute,...to re-book 1Double Room (at Hotel Reliance Internatioanl Guest House itself).
Thus we are being charged for 3Double Rooms by Hotel Reliance International.

Hotel Silka and Hotel Reliance International _ were reserved through Booking.Com
We are seeking thoughtful consideration from Booking.Com and from Hotel Reliance International _ to charge us for 1DoubleRoom and the reasonable penalty of 1-Night Retention of the second Double Room,...(which was booked and cancelled in a minute)

Looking for reprieve from the billed charge for 3-Double-Rooms, Regards

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The problem is you booked a non refundable room. It doesn't matter is you canceled the room within a nano second - once you hit the book key, you are charged and as you found out - there are no refunds. You have to throw yourself at the mercy of booking.com and the hotel and beg for a refund.

What you should have done was call booking.com from the first hotel and asked them to find you another hotel. That was their obligation when the original was canceled.

You also have found out the nasty truth about using these discount websites - when you book through them, if a hotel is overbooked - your reservation is the first one canceled. They keep the clients who have paid the most for their rooms - and cancel the rooms from the discounters.

All you can do it go back to booking.com and artfully beg for a refund. I gave you the contacts and the protocol to follow in post 8. When you write, you need to tell them that if your reservation hasn't been canceled by the hotel, you wouldn't have been in this predicament - state that you rushed to try go find another hotel and that was how the error was made.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Dear Sir (JSN55)
We had booked Hotel Silka. Upon arrival at Hotel _ we were told, that they are over-booked. Hence they refunded us the money.
We were left stranded without a room

In hurry and a bit of nervousness (booked Hotel Reliance International Guest House) 2Double Room _ but cancelled it the very next minute,...to re-book 1Double Room (at Hotel Reliance Internatioanl Guest House itself).
Thus we are being charged for 3Double Rooms by Hotel Reliance International.

Hotel Silka and Hotel Reliance International _ were reserved through Booking.Com
We are seeking thoughtful consideration from Booking.Com and from Hotel Reliance International _ to charge us for 1DoubleRoom and the reasonable penalty of 1-Night Retention of the second Double Room,...(which was booked and cancelled in a minute)

Looking for reprieve from the billed charge for 3-Double-Rooms, Regards
OK, now I understand. Thank you for laying out the information for us. You booked 2 double rooms at Reliance through an online agency in error. You tried to cancel immediately but you had booked the cheapest rooms, which was a non-refundable rate and cannot be cancelled. Then you booked one room. So the agency processed your credit card for two rooms, then processed your res for one room and sent your money to the hotel. The hotel held 3 rooms for you. Do you have confirmation that the original two rooms were cancelled?

The hotel would need to return your money to the online agency, who would then refund it to you. Contact the agency with a concise, polite list of the facts and a request for a refund of the two rooms booked in error. We see issues like this every day. People are booking the cheapest rooms without paying attention to the posted information, cancelling and booking again using their phones or little computers with small screens. As in your case, you are turned away when you arrive at the oversold hotel.

Reservations made through a third party are the first ones to be cancelled in this instance. You're in a hurry to find a bed for the night. The transactions are processed by computers who process exactly what the customer enters. In a case like this, the only foolproof way to book another reservation is by calling or visiting the hotel directly ... that's the way to avoid the problems you are encountering. My colleagues have given you guidance on how to request help from the online agency. Good luck, and please let us know the outcome.