Call from ASCI for Sprint debt - never done business with Sprint

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 28, 2015
New York
They just called again. They said if it isn't me, the. I have to file a police report or else they are reporting it to credit agency .

I have never cosigned anything. But this could be related to someone tries to take out a T-Mobile using my name they they refused. I thought I had credit protection with AllSafe or whatever that Target company they hired was.[/QUOTE

Tell them to get lost. You don't have to do anything. You don't have an account with them and sign up for the do not call registry. I got calls for years for a similarly named person who lived God knows where.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Also, obviously this isn't really sprint. Just block the number. legitimate companies do not work this way. Companies report delinquencies electronically at predetermined dates. Sometimes they will warn you IN WRITING, sometimes not, but they report if unpaid anyway. Re: utilities, cell phones, etc, I have never in my life seen this appear on my credit report. What would they report, some stranger with the same name who lives elsewhere- this would never be validated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why would you want your credit reports frozen? I feel like you are gettig advice that seems all over the place bc there is confusion as to what exactly happened. If you are happy with result then I am happy for you. If No collection was reported and no credit card was breached- I don't see the point in freezing. I would just move on. I once found a 5k charge on my Amex that wasn't mine. Called, cancelled the card, Got the new one in the morning. Forgot about it until this moment.
Sprint sounds ridiculous. I would avoid and block Sprint from charging any of your cards. They sound very shady.
My wife's debit card info was stolen after she used it to buy gas at a gas station a few years ago. By freezing her credit reports, she didn't have to worry about anyone filing for a credit card or any other type of credit for several years. A call had to be made to her to authorize any credit inquiries. It was well worth the piece of mind after having her bank account drained and TD Bank taking every minute of the time they are permitted before having to put the money back in her account.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Why would you want your credit reports frozen?
Freezing credit gives peace of mind as accounts cannot be opened without you getting a phone call to confirm validity. Especially if your information is out there [long story I could tell you sometime] this is a good tool.
Since we are in a place in our lives where we don't expect to need to open new accounts very much we like the security. IF you needed to move or need to open several new accounts, you can always unfreeze for a certain amount of time.
When I needed to open an account at a new bank, it was super cool when the banker said she needed to call and as I sat there, my cell phone rang, I answered and we had a mini phone conversation, face-to-face!

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Freezing credit gives peace of mind as accounts cannot be opened without you getting a phone call to confirm validity. Especially if your information is out there [long story I could tell you sometime] this is a good tool.
Since we are in a place in our lives where we don't expect to need to open new accounts very much we like the security. IF you needed to move or need to open several new accounts, you can always unfreeze for a certain amount of time.
When I needed to open an account at a new bank, it was super cool when the banker said she needed to call and as I sat there, my cell phone rang, I answered and we had a mini phone conversation, face-to-face!
This makes sense. I think it is still a band aid though. I'm still amazed that a cell phone company opens an account and allows 3k in charges without a credit card or any identity verification. It has been eons since I opened mine with ATT, so I may be out of date. I'm also unclear about why they think it is this guy, if a different address was provided. Was his social used? No credit card was. I think he would be better off replacing his credit cards and signing up for alerts so that he knows if anyone has applied for credit with his social.
@CoolIPG451 check the inquiries on your report. If there are no new inquiries, then you are in good shape.

Feb 6, 2016
Why would you want your credit reports frozen? I feel like you are gettig advice that seems all over the place bc there is confusion as to what exactly happened. If you are happy with result then I am happy for you. If No collection was reported and no credit card was breached- I don't see the point in freezing. I would just move on. I once found a 5k charge on my Amex that wasn't mine. Called, cancelled the card, Got the new one in the morning. Forgot about it until this moment.
Sprint sounds ridiculous. I would avoid and block Sprint from charging any of your cards. They sound very shady.
I haven't frozen my credit. I just put a fraud alert so it would be hard to open any new accounts. The perpetrators opened a Sprint account in my name (I am a Verizon customer). The perpretrators did not charge any of my credit cards. Those are all safe.

Feb 6, 2016
The reason I froze them, or put fraud alerts, is because it seems they know my social security and tried to open new accounts. Now they can't, without a phone call to me. I did check my credit report and there was a new inquiry from Sprint, which Sprint now plans to remove. There was also one from T-Mobile, who denied the credit because they were not able to identify me sufficiently. No credit cards were compromised. They DID have the right address - but we had already moved and the house was (and still is) vacant, so they shipped it there and picked it up right after it delivered. Police told me that is the M. O. Regarding why a phone company would send phones without any credit information - that is why the police told me this is happening to Sprint more. T-mobile wouldn't grant them the credit it seems.

May 17, 2016
You need to send a written letter to ASCI [which means you need to call them back unfortunately to get an account number]

Dear ASCI:

re: Acct #

I deny that owe you or your principal anything.

I have never done business with Sprint, or you.

I demand an copy of any document through which your principal claims that I owe them money, along with billings, applications and other documents through which you or Sprint claim a debt is owed.

I wish a written assigned of the claim from Sprint to you, if applicable.

I will refuse to pay anything and demand that if you claim I owe you or Sprint that you sue me immediately so the matter can be resolved.

I insist on all of my rights under the Fair Credit Billing and Collection Act.

VTY - Name

Now- to be absolutely certtan, you NEVER agree to cosign a phone contract for a child, girl friend, ex-spouse or girl friend, friend, relative or anyone else? Just because you did 'do business' does not mean you may not have signed a debt for someone who defaulted?

Don't know what state you are in but the statute of limitations can run 3-6 years -
Great letter with a great outcome! If you don't mind, I am keeping a copy of the letter in the event this type of thing ever happens to me (hope it doesn't!).

My wife's debit card info was stolen after she used it to buy gas at a gas station a few years ago. By freezing her credit reports, she didn't have to worry about anyone filing for a credit card or any other type of credit for several years. A call had to be made to her to authorize any credit inquiries. It was well worth the piece of mind after having her bank account drained and TD Bank taking every minute of the time they are permitted before having to put the money back in her account.
And here is the THE story why you should never - ever - ever use a debit card. EVER.

Except inside a bank branch [not at the outside ATM] to get money.

banks are on the hunt for suspicious activities which might indicate fraud. All of sudden draining a bank account which routinely has a high balance means that something suspicious is occuring - but banks do not care because it is not their money. . . . .

They care about credit card fraud because it is their money. Whose money gets stolen first? That tells everything you need to know about using a debit card.

There is NO reason to EVER use a debit card. EVER. From a security perspective.