Cable that remains not buried

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 5, 2019
I have a cable which I believe belongs to Spectrum Cable running across my yard. It terminates in a tombstone on the east side of my yard and goes to a house 3-4 houses west of my house. It has remained unburied for over 4 months. I have called Spectrum and the City of Colleyville, TX trying to get it buried. Last evening my wife was walking to our mailbox and tripped over the cable. Her injuries were not too serious this time. She has had multiple back surgeries and is not the most stable person around. I'm afraid she (or someone else) will be seriously hurt on the cable. I would like to have it buried. If anybody can tell me how to get it buried, I would appreciate it.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I would call the local police on a non-emergency number, explain the situation, and ask them who can help you with this. Your wife has back issues, you can't have tripping hazards in your own yard.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You can escalate this issue to them using the contacts provided on this site
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/charter-communications-charter-spectrum/

Beginning at the lowest level below, present a brief outline of your case and
give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level.
I agree with your theory, but our OP is not sure who the cable belongs to. I think the police could help find out which local government department might be able to find out and advise the cable's owner that it needs to be buried. Seems to me that they can do it much faster than an ordinary citizen.

Apr 3, 2016
If the lawn mower ran over it, I bet it would be buried fast (just joking). The town or local dig-safe organization may be able to tell you exactly what utility it is.

Mar 14, 2018
Well across my property and not buried? Ya it would be gone in a flash and I bet that would get someone’s attention. The cable is trespassing and a danger. Cut the thing and call it good. JMHO
Not a good idea. First, the cable may be running through an easement and have a right to be there. Second, it's quite possible the cable is used for phone services (eg VoIP) and in some states it is a crime to interfere with a person's ability to make emergency calls.

I suggest you call your city's utility office. They should be able to tell you if an easement exists and who owns the cable.

Jun 12, 2019
I have a cable which I believe belongs to Spectrum Cable running across my yard. It terminates in a tombstone on the east side of my yard and goes to a house 3-4 houses west of my house. It has remained unburied for over 4 months. I have called Spectrum and the City of Colleyville, TX trying to get it buried. Last evening my wife was walking to our mailbox and tripped over the cable. Her injuries were not too serious this time. She has had multiple back surgeries and is not the most stable person around. I'm afraid she (or someone else) will be seriously hurt on the cable. I would like to have it buried. If anybody can tell me how to get it buried, I would appreciate it.
Former claims adjuster and current City employee here. Contacting the police on a non-emergency number is an excellent idea. I would also contact the City's department that handles Safety and Risk management to inform them that your wife tripped on an exposed cable and may need to file a claim. This would trigger them to find out if the City owns the cable. If the City does not own the cables, they should direct you to the entity that is responsible. If the City does own the cable, ask to file a claim. This would expedite the repairs as the City was put on notice of a dangerous condition. The human resources department handles safety and risk issues and can be found here:

https://www.colleyville.com/government/departments-a-l/human-resources

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
I'm really surprised the city's Public Works department didn't take this more seriously. The OP's situation is potentially really litigious. (Is that a word? Sue-able.) Contacting the police is the best way to go at this point.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I'm really surprised the city's Public Works department didn't take this more seriously. The OP's situation is potentially really litigious. (Is that a word? Sue-able.) Contacting the police is the best way to go at this point.
Yes, a real word.
Definition of litigious

1a: DISPUTATIOUS, CONTENTIOUS in a litigious mood
b: prone to engage in lawsuits an increasingly litigious society
2: subject to litigation not known to be litigious when purchased— James Muirhead
3: of, relating to, or marked by litigation a litigious situation

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Well across my property and not buried? Ya it would be gone in a flash and I bet that would get someone’s attention. The cable is trespassing and a danger. Cut the thing and call it good. JMHO

We don't advise anyone to do this! We recently had a case where the cable company charged the homeowner several thousand dollars to repair a line they accidentally cut that ran through an easement on their property. Apparently it was a mainline and knocked out service to many of the surrounding homes.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The OP per his post has made multiple attempts to get assistance and that’s
We don't advise anyone to do this! We recently had a case where the cable company charged the homeowner several thousand dollars to repair a line they accidentally cut that ran through an easement on their property. Apparently it was a mainline and knocked out service to many of the surrounding homes.
maybe not, but I was simply saying if this was at MY home and I had made multiple attempts to get this fixed. I did not advise anyone to do this...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Yes, a real word.
Definition of litigious

1a: DISPUTATIOUS, CONTENTIOUS in a litigious mood
b: prone to engage in lawsuits an increasingly litigious society
2: subject to litigation not known to be litigious when purchased— James Muirhead
3: of, relating to, or marked by litigation a litigious situation
This is one of my favorite words to pronounce. It's such a great example of what a ridiculously complex language English is. La-tidge-uh-nus.

Jun 24, 2019
I would look at the title policy received on acquisition of the home to see what easements exist. That does not give the owner of the cable to leave it loose on the ground, but it will let OP know who may be responsible.

Jan 6, 2015
In the mean time, you can use the same spray that cable companies use (orange) to mark the section in your yard. Cheap, and it will be clearly visible . . .

Jan 17, 2019
Typical Comcast. A number of years back they ran a cable across our back yard to a neighbor's house and left it unburied. I complained, and they said they had an easement and had no obligation to bury the cable because we had an underground sprinkler system in our yard that night be damaged if they buried the cable. Said we would be responsible for fixing our sprinkler system if it was damaged when they buried the cable.

Took almost 6 months and several complaints to Comcast and to the city, but they finally buried it.