Cabin Downgrade when travelling on FF Award Ticket

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 12, 2015
I have redeemed miles from a U.S.A. Carrier's loyalty program for business class travel on one of their Foreign (EU) Carrier loyalty partners.

If I have followed all check-in policies/procedures and are later involuntarily downgraded to economy class - what can I do?

Can I invoke IATA Rule 735D or the EU Passenger Rights program? Precisely what section or verbiage of either program can I reference in my conversations with the Agent? Do you have the links for both sources?

Is the Foreign Carrier obligated to secure re-accommodation in Business Class on a later Online service or will they consider placing me on another Carrier's service (another Airline Partner or not)?

If the Foreign Carrier offers financial compensation - how do I go about securing the difference between a full unrestricted Business Class fare and a discounted Economy Class fare (as I would never have purchased a full unrestricted Economy Class fare)?

Bottomline - if we are downgraded - there is the potential for my travel partner and I to have to visit our physicians when we return home due to some medical issues (non life threatening - but painful). We would not be making the trip unless we were travelling in a business class seat.

Thanks for any kind advice.

Mar 23, 2015
So, it sounds like this hasn't happened yet....Do you have good reason to anticipate that it will? Just keep checking your itinerary and seat assignments, frequently, etc...I know there are a lot of FF ticket horror stories, but *knock wood* we've used them many times and never had an issue, even when redeemed for FC seats. Good Luck. Enjoy your trip and try not to worry about something before it happens, or you'll make yourself crazy! :)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It also depends on the ticket class too. Some ticket classes are not true business or first class tickets. If you can tell us the airline and the ticket class you booked we can make sure you have a true business ticket.

Sep 12, 2015
It also depends on the ticket class too. Some ticket classes are not true business or first class tickets. If you can tell us the airline and the ticket class you booked we can make sure you have a true business ticket.
Thanks for the offer. As another Member mentioned - the downgrade hasn't actually occurred yet so I prefer to not mention the FF program or Foreign Partner Carrier. Feel it would be unfair to do so when nothing bad has happened. I've just hear anecdotal horror stories about downgrades over the years - hence my inquiry. Do appreciate everyone's considerate responses - thanks to all.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks for the offer. As another Member mentioned - the downgrade hasn't actually occurred yet so I prefer to not mention the FF program or Foreign Partner Carrier. Feel it would be unfair to do so when nothing bad has happened. I've just hear anecdotal horror stories about downgrades over the years - hence my inquiry. Do appreciate everyone's considerate responses - thanks to all.
I understand. But sometimes the fare code is the key to understanding the type of ticket you have and whether it can be downgraded

I hope you have no issues.

We booked tickets from LAS - EDI via LHR in business class on British Airways using AA miles. Booked it from a Platinum account - were able to make seat reservations in advance - we selected the upper section of the 747 and very good seats therein.

Arrived at LAS and were accommodated in BA departure lounge, and were provided the exact seats that we had booked in advance - plane was mostly full.

We returned yesterday from Paris on AA iron with zero problems being accommodated in the class of service purchased via FF miles. Except for A HUGE SSSS TSA HASSLE - and the associated BS -"Do you have any weapons?" Uh, yeah, sure, I'm intending to hijack the plane and I figure before I get on I'll tell you.

"How long have you owned your cell phones?"

Have they been out of your control?

"You mean since we bought them?"

Geniuses creating this stuff -

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Paul, my heart goes out to you ... I travel with a man who looks at upcoming flights just like you do. Makes life difficult for you. I/we've been travelling on upgrades and FF tix on several airlines for many years. Not once have I had an issue. As advised, you just stay on top of your itinerary, you check it every week (or more often if you wish), check the times, the equipment, your seats, everything, every week. At the first sign of a problem, you are on the phone and you are so sweet and charming with the agent that he wants to give you the whole plane. You'll be fine as long as you're ever-vigilent.