Buying travel evacuation service and/or travel insurance

  • Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 16, 2019
I'm traveling to Greece in a couple of weeks and will take another trip to Ecuador in July. Should I purchase both a medical evacuation membership and travel insurance either of these countries? Do travelers typically buy both types of coverage? A web search seems to suggest that buying both an evacuation service and insurance is a good idea. Here is an article I read: I'm am considering platinum level travel insurance from a highly rated insurance company that that covers up to $1,000,000 for evacuation/medical transportation. A quote from that insurance company is $269. A quote from MedJet's most basic plan is $180 for 21 days. MedJet services sounds more comprehensive. If I purchased both together it's expensive, based on the quotes . If I bought both which would pay first, the insurance or MedJet? I don't want to buy to little or too much coverage.

I'm confused and would be grateful for any guidance. Thanks in advance for any input.
Jan 6, 2015
There are online insurers that sell comprehensive (vs. basis) policies that cover medical and much more. Call them and their agents can help you decided on the best one for your needs.
Apr 3, 2016
You might definitely need it for Ecuador. Friends of mine spent the winter there and proof of medical insurance was needed before you could enter the country.
Likes: VoR61


Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've had MedJet for years (a real help with a medical emergency evacuation in 2015) and I also have coverage through my Chase credit card. MedJet evacuates you. Regular travel insurance reimburses all kinds of expenses for interrupting or cancelling a trip. Health insurance pays the hospital and doctor charges. But I believe that some trip insurance policies have all this included. If I need more coverage, I buy my trip insurance from Dan Drennan in Omaha, I like to speak to a real insurance agent with my questions. I just tell them what I need and they sell me the best policy at the best cost.