Buyer Beware: Do NOT Use JustFly.Com

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2018
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping to prevent someone else from going through the time consuming, bank account draining, frustrating process of trying to use JustFly.com to book flights for travel.
I booked a flight on 8/2/18 to go to Zion National Park (flight to Las Vegas from Boston) on Labor Day Weekend. The flight cost $362.73 plus $38.00 for trip insurance. Due to an injury(I tore my meniscus), I wanted to re-book on Columbus Day weekend instead. I tried to use the trip insurance but basically I, or someone in my party, had to die in order to be able to use that. I was told I would be charged $75.00 to have a travel credit issued and that re-booking would not be an issue but would cost $275.00 in rebooking fees. I called on 9/10 to re-book and I was told that I could only fly to and from the same airports on the same airlines. I re-booked the flights for 10/4-10/9/18, and I was told that my return flight was from Los Angeles at 1pm and would land in Boston at 10:55(note that they did not tell me a.m. or p.m.) I corrected the customer service rep and said "I am not coming home from Los Angeles, I am coming home from Las Vegas.. And I am not happy with an 11 hour flight but I guess this will do". I was told that there were re-booking fees that added up to $363.60. I was not happy about this and reluctantly agreed. I did not receive the new travel itinerary until the following evening when I realized that my flight did not land at 10:55 the same day, but the next morning and my flight was 30 hours long. As if that was bad enough, they had my return flight coming from Los Angeles. I called on 9/12 to tell them that they made an error on my return flight and I was told that I would need to pay a fee to change this flight. I argued with them for a couple of hours on the phone until they finally agreed that they would do an internal investigation and I would receive a call back in 24 hours. I called Justly on 9/17/18 to get the run around yet again. They had no returning flights from Vegas that are under 20 hours on October 9th. I asked if there were any flights the day before on October 8th and they replied that I would have to pay a re-booking fee. After some complaining and talking to someone different, they said they would waive the re-booking fee for this but the only flight was leaving October 8th at 5 and landing the next morning at 10:55am. I cannot sleep in Minnesota's airport, so I denied this offer. They will not let me change my travel dates without additional charges that I refuse to pay. This phone call was when they admitted that they listened to the tape, and that they made an error on the return flight only. They made an error. I tried to get a full refund to no avail. I asked for a refund for the second flight to no avail. I asked for a new travel credit altogether since I never would have agreed to fly home from a destination that I was never flying to, and they will not do that. Today, on 9/21/18, they charged my credit card for the entire second itinerary after having removed the pending charges. I called one final time to see if we could resolve this, and I was asked, "If you had a problem with the travel itinerary, why are you just calling us now?". After speaking to a manager (name unknown.. all of the people I've spoken to have names that I cannot pronounce.. except one named Jack) and explaining that I would not be flying to Las Vegas without having the correct return flight and since the return flights don't work, the flight GOING to Las Vegas should be credited back to me, I was told that since I verbally agreed to the flight and there was no error on their part for the flight to Las Vegas, I have to pay a $125.00 rebooking fee. They said they would credit me for the incorrect return flight once I pay for the incorrect return flight which was removed from my account today. I do not even trust that this company can get me to and from the correct place and at this time, I want my money back for the re-booked flight and I don't even care about eating the price for the first flight.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018
We can’t post photos here. Do you have a link to the insurance policy we can see?

Did you have a doctor complete the paperwork to file a claim?
Hello,

I did not file the paperwork even though my doctor agreed to. I just agreed to take the "275.00" hit for rebooking. It's not really the insurance policy that is the issue, it's that I am unable to re-book my flight now even though it was re-booked with an error on their part.

Here is the insurance policy: https://justfly-us.eclaims.csaclaims.com/

My meniscus is still torn and I suppose I could still have my doctor fill this paperwork out but I am not sure how much good that would do at this time.

Thank you for your response.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you do not us your insurance, you are going to have all of these fees to change your tickets. You are canceling and rebooking and there are fees for that.

You stated in your letter : “I tried to use the trip insurance but basically I, or someone in my party, had to die in order to be able to use that.“

That’s not true- you didn’t try to use the insurance st all- the way insurance works is you have to file a claim and you need your doctor to fill out paperwork saying you were unable to fly.

If your injury was bad enough that you couldn’t fly, you cancel the trip, file the paperwork your doctor completed stating you couldn’t travel and get a refund.

It sounds more like you just decided to change your itinerary.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Read through your policy, I am certain it pays for change fees. Even if you only get one set of change fees reimbursed, it's better than nothing.
The paperwork he needs his dr. to complete will day his injury is so severe he can’t travel period. So they’re is nothing need for change fees. If you just want to change your flight- if you can still fly- so you are lying by filing a claim saying you have to cancel due to the torn miniscis.

If you have insurance, you have to cancel your trip, file the paperwotk and wait to be reimbursed. If you want to travel a month later you have to buy a new trip.

Then there are no rebooking fees.

Nov 20, 2015
Since he's already rebooked, he is covered for change fees only. He won't be lying- he couldn't fly then, but he can on the new dates(assuming his doctor agrees). It's in the policy on Page 18 under trip cancellation. The insurance saves money by only having to reimburse the fees instead of refunding everything.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Since he's already rebooked, he is covered for change fees only. He won't be lying- he couldn't fly then, but he can on the new dates(assuming his doctor agrees). It's in the policy on Page 18 under trip cancellation. The insurance saves money by only having to reimburse the fees instead of refunding everything.
He has to actually file the claim. Which requires getting the doctor to fill out paperwork saying he couldn’t fly with the injury.

There is no other way around trying to be reimbursed

Jul 30, 2018
Like our fabulous Neil has stated, you should definitely file a travel insurance claim and get reimbursed for your trip expenses. You had the foresight to purchase this product so why not use it? This is your only way to end your justfly.com nightmare. You have aready spent countless hours going no where fast with the justfly call center. A much better use of you time is asking your doctor to fill out the forms so you can file your claim.

A high percentage of folks come to this forum seeking help following a travel snafu because they failed to purchase travel insurance that would have covered their losses.

If you are still looking to book your trip for Columbus Day weekend you should do so soon. Prices will rise significantly as the time draws nearer. If you do, please make your arrangements directly with the airlines and not an online travel agency!

Sep 21, 2018
If you do not us your insurance, you are going to have all of these fees to change your tickets. You are canceling and rebooking and there are fees for that.

You stated in your letter : “I tried to use the trip insurance but basically I, or someone in my party, had to die in order to be able to use that.“

That’s not true- you didn’t try to use the insurance st all- the way insurance works is you have to file a claim and you need your doctor to fill out paperwork saying you were unable to fly.

If your injury was bad enough that you couldn’t fly, you cancel the trip, file the paperwork your doctor completed stating you couldn’t travel and get a refund.

It sounds more like you just decided to change your itinerary.
Hi Neil,

AGAIN.. I am not arguing the fees for changing my flight.. I am arguing the fact that I paid these fees, and they've booked me to return from a place that I was never going. PER JUSTFLY'S POLICY: I can re-book for up to a year on the SAME AIRLINES going to and from THE SAME DESTINATIONS. Now I've paid the re-booking fees and I am now set to travel TO Las Vegas and BACK FROM Los Angeles. I've called several times with the call time average being 1.5 hours. They cannot offer me a return flight even though this was an error on THEIR PART and they have admitted that.

They've offered me a return flight from Vegas on October 9th at 5pm, returning on October 10 at 11a.m. They said they would "as a one time good gesture" waive the 75.00 rebooking fee if I wanted to travel on October 8th, but again, the return flight is 11:59pm and returning in Boston at 11a.m. with a multi-hour layover in Minnesota. I am travelling alone and would like to avoid sleeping in an airport.

I argued that I never would have booked the trip if I could not have an adequate return trip back (aka under 12 hours, no overnight layover), and they are unable to offer that on the return flight date. This could just be me, but I feel as though they should be able to re-book the WHOLE TRIP at this point since they return trip is not possible on this date with that airline. I told them I did not want to lose the trip and that I would like to re-book the whole thing using the travel credit I paid for previously. I was told that I cannot re-book the flight TO VEGAS because there was no error with that.. except THERE IS AN ERROR WITH IT - HALF THE TRIP IS BOOK FROM A DIFFERENT STATE ALTOGETHER.

Again.. I realize I missed my opportunity with the trip insurance - so we can just stop blaming me for not using the insurance since i've stated several times that I knowingly did not file the claim (I was also told that I would not get any money back if I filed the claim because the flights are non-refundable).

Sep 21, 2018
The paperwork he needs his dr. to complete will day his injury is so severe he can’t travel period. So they’re is nothing need for change fees. If you just want to change your flight- if you can still fly- so you are lying by filing a claim saying you have to cancel due to the torn miniscis.

If you have insurance, you have to cancel your trip, file the paperwotk and wait to be reimbursed. If you want to travel a month later you have to buy a new trip.

Then there are no rebooking fees.
Also, I am a woman.

I could not fly Labor Day weekend and take a trip to a National Park to hike when I had a freshly torn meniscus. I have since gone through physical therapy and got fitted for an ACL stability knee brace that allows me to do physical activity.

Sep 21, 2018
Glad you added about booking directly. There are enough complaints about JustFly no one should use them.

Please Google “complaints about xxxxxx (company name) before you book anything. If it seems too good to be true- it usually is.
I did this after the fact and realized my error. I had always used Expedia or Travelocity only, but someone told me about Kayak so I was using that app which referred me to Justfly for booking. I booked on August 2nd during the day, and tore my meniscus that night at soccer. I called on August 3rd to discuss, and the insurance company sent me the multi-page document. In hindsight, I should have dropped this off my doctor and washed my hands of this. However, from what I am learning, I would not have gotten a reimbursement - I would have had change fees waived.

Sep 21, 2018
Justfly has a terrible reputation many bad reviews even a BBB warning (cough cough).
I have written to the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General.

Again, I tried to work with the company, I spent hours of my life on the phone. I have called every single day since re-booking on 9/10. I have heard so many different things from so many different people. Each time I call, it's like they don't record anything on their end and I have to explain my situation to a new person and I ask to speak to a manager, and I ask that the line be recorded before I even start to explain myself.

Last weekend I noticed that the pre-auth on my card had disappeared and I no longer had the flights "pending" in my bank account and my account was fully credited. I called my bank to inquire and it said "They left the pre-authorization open but they stopped it from going through".. Well, yesterday I had 400 dollars taken out and I had called on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week saying that I do not approve of them charging my card for a trip going to and coming from two different places.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Also, I am a woman.

I could not fly Labor Day weekend and take a trip to a National Park to hike when I had a freshly torn meniscus. I have since gone through physical therapy and got fitted for an ACL stability knee brace that allows me to do physical activity.

Again- you had insurance. If you had canceled your trip, had your doctor complete the paperwork and send in an insurance claim. You then book a new trip.

You wouldn’t have had all these fees. You would have been reimbursed by the insurance company for your original trip.

For the wrong flights- use our company contacts and write to the Executives at Justfly.

You would pay the rebooking fed and any difference in pricing from the original flights but you shouldn’t be paying another fee for Justflys error. Except the company is so bad- I am not sure even the executives can help. Read the warning on our company contacts below.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/justfly-com/

As a service to our readers, we post the names, numbers and email addresses of executives responsible for customer service at major companies.

If you’re having a problem with a company, please consider using our proven strategies for a resolution.

If listed, start by writing to the senior customer service contact (listed under executive contacts). Tell them the issue and give them a week to respond. If they don’t respond or refuse to help, write to the next executive shown. If necessary, repeat weekly going up the chain of executives one at a time.

Do not start by writing to the CEO and do not write to all contacts at once. This could severely limit your ability to resolve your issue.

Sep 21, 2018
Again- you had insurance. If you had canceled your trip, had your doctor complete the paperwork and send in an insurance claim. You then book a new trip.

You wouldn’t have had all these fees. You would have been reimbursed by the insurance company for your original trip.

For the wrong flights- use our company contacts and write to the Executives at Justfly.

You would pay the rebooking fed and any difference in pricing from the original flights but you shouldn’t be paying another fee for Justflys error.
If I had not even included the insurance part of my original post, the same problem would still stand.

I thought that posting in here was supposed to help me somehow. Do you work for Justfly.com? I am feeling the same frustration as I feel when I call them.

I did not use the insurance. I agreed to pay the fees for a flight to and from the same destination. Since I am not getting that, why should I have been charged? They have an error on my return flight and now they are unable to get me a return flight under 15 hours, therefore I should be able to re-book the flight BASED ON THEIR ERROR.

Not to mention that I have spoken with both airlines directly and they would change this and re-book my flights for free, but there is a block on the ticket from Justfly.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have written to the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General.

Again, I tried to work with the company, I spent hours of my life on the phone. I have called every single day since re-booking on 9/10. I have heard so many different things from so many different people. Each time I call, it's like they don't record anything on their end and I have to explain my situation to a new person and I ask to speak to a manager, and I ask that the line be recorded before I even start to explain myself.

Last weekend I noticed that the pre-auth on my card had disappeared and I no longer had the flights "pending" in my bank account and my account was fully credited. I called my bank to inquire and it said "They left the pre-authorization open but they stopped it from going through".. Well, yesterday I had 400 dollars taken out and I had called on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week saying that I do not approve of them charging my card for a trip going to and coming from two different places.
Call you bank and dispute those charges- are you using a debit card or a credit card? You have less consumer protection with a debit card than a credit card.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If I had not even included the insurance part of my original post, the same problem would still stand.

I thought that posting in here was supposed to help me somehow. Do you work for Justfly.com? I am feeling the same frustration as I feel when I call them.

I did not use the insurance. I agreed to pay the fees for a flight to and from the same destination. Since I am not getting that, why should I have been charged? They have an error on my return flight and now they are unable to get me a return flight under 15 hours, therefore I should be able to re-book the flight BASED ON THEIR ERROR.

Not to mention that I have spoken with both airlines directly and they would change this and re-book my flights for free, but there is a block on the ticket from Justfly.
Actually if you had filed a claim and booked a new trip you wouldn’t be in this predicament. As long as your doctor certified you couldn’t travel the insurance would have reimbursed you for the trip and you would have booked a new ticket- no fees involved at all.

From the policy you bought- you should be covered:

Covered Events: 1. The Sickness, Injury or death of you, your Family Member, your Traveling Companion or your Service Animal. The Sickness or Injury must first commence while your coverage is in effect under the Policy, must require the in-person treatment by a Physician, and must be so disabling in the written opinion of a Physician as to prevent you from taking your Trip (either because your condition prevents your travel, or because your Family Member, Traveling Companion or your Service Animal requires your care);

Status
Not open for further replies.