Budget/Sedgwick letter for $25,000

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 6, 2019
Hello and thank you so much for your services. This forum is truly a blessing. Here is my story:
Rented a car for 2 weeks for my wedding and honeymoon from Budget(denied insurance). On my way to the wedding (second day I had the car) in another state the car started quickly slowing down to the point where I had to stop on the side of the highway. Not knowing what to do I called Budget and told them the situation. They told me they could call a tow truck to come pick up the car and take it to the nearest Budget location. At the location I was able to pick up another similar car at no charge. That second car worked fine until I returned it at the appropriate date. When I returned it they gave me a discount of 1 day because I basically lost 1 day without the car. This was August of 2018. Now just received a letter on Jan 30th that I owe the following (rounding up):
Fair market value 30,000
Loss of use 2,000
Admin fee 200
Storage/towing 550
Sale amount/esv 8,500
Total: (around) $25,000

I don’t understand how they can do this. I have read a few of your threads and the one with the steps to follow, but I feel like my situation is a bit different than a lot of these. Please help me.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Your situation is not different than the post we have about how to fight it.

Was the car an automatic ? How many miles were on the car? Sedgwick is going after the wrong party- they should be going after the car manufacturer.

The car failed and it’s not your fault. Use the post we have on how to write and state that you in no way were responsible for the failure of the car and you will not pay this claim. You can ask for all records of the maintenance done on the car since Budget took possession of the car.

Stop dealing with Sedgwick and start with our Corporate Contacts as we detail in the thread on how to fight the claim.

This has got to be the most ridiculous try by Sedgwick to scam a renter I’ve seen here.

Feb 6, 2019

Was the car an automatic ? How many miles were on the car? Sedgwick is going after the wrong party- they should be going after the car manufacturer.

The car failed and it’s not your fault. Use the post we have on how to write and state that you in no way were responsible for the failure of the car and you will not pay this claim. You can ask for all records of the maintenance done on the car since Budget took possession of the car.

Stop dealing with Sedgwick and start with our Corporate Contacts as we detail in the thread on how to fight the claim.

This has got to be the most ridiculous try by Sedgwick to scam a renter I’ve seen here.
Yes automatic, low miles around 18,000. Don't remember exact. Thanks so much Neil, will try and let you know.

Feb 6, 2019

Should I write to "customer service"first or the primary contact?

Thanks again.

Sep 19, 2015
So the oil ran low and there was engine failure? This sounds like there was a problem or leak with the car and the rental company gave you a bad car.

Well this sounds like a ridiculous claim against the OP.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Should I write to "customer service"first or the primary contact?

Thanks again.
Start at Customer Service. Did you notice any lights on the dashboard indication low oil?

The claim just gets more ridiculous as it goes on. Are consumers expected to do oil changes in their rentals now too?

In your letter state there was no low oil light on and you are not responsible for maintaining the car and changing the oil or adding oil and you are not responsible for this damage.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
But right now you can respond to them in writing: deny that you damaged the car and politely request proof of the damage. These people are just scum; they count on scaring people into doing what they want them to do.

Jul 7, 2018
And this is why I returned a car I was renting when the change oil light came on. I had 2 weeks left on that rental and I didn't want to be held responsible if there was an issue. So glad I did.

Their reply:

Thank you for contacting Budget Customer Service with your inquiry.
Sedgwick, The Claims Center and Viking Client Services are authorized
representatives for Avis Budget Car Rental primarily in matters of
damage claim collections. Please follow the instructions within the
letter they have mailed to you. Their direct contact information,
mailing address and phone number, are provided in their letter to you.
If you no longer have their correspondence you may phone 1-800-551-5998
for assistance.

We apologize for any inconvenience as our Customer Service group is
unable to directly assist in these matters. Any questions on this issue
should be addressed directly with the processor who sent you the letter.

Sincerely,

Michael Wayne
Representative | Email Customer Service
Budget Rent A Car System, Inc.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Now you write to the first executive we show listed fir Budget. In your letter state you received a canned response from Customer Service and are asking the executive for assistance.

Wait a week and if they don’t reply, repeat with the next executive. Repeat weekly until you get through all the Executives.

Received an email this morning from ABGInsuranceEscalations@avisbudget

"Please see the attached letter confirming closure of the rental vehicle damage claim. Let me know if you need anything else.

Kind Regards"

The letter states the following:

"Sedgwick provides claims administration services for Budget. Sedgwick is not an insurer or an insurance company.
After further review it has been determined that you are not liable for any damage to the rental vehicle referenced in the claim above. Please be advised that this claim has been closed."

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! This site has been a blessing. I was obviously not planning on paying the 25,000, but I thought/knew I would have a lot of headache and wasted time fighting it. Thanks to your responses and posts I have been able to keep that to a minimum. I can sleep with one less worry tonight! Will donate to the cause.

Keep up the good work.