Budget Pre-existing Damage issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 29, 2019
I found your forum after doing some research on an issue I am in the midst of with Budget. I rented a vehicle and like all newbies I drove off the lot without even looking at the vehicle. Upon arriving at my hotel I found a large scratch on the passenger door. I immediately called Budget customer service who directed me to return the vehicle. So I drove back to the airport and explained the situation to the attendant on duty. They proceeded to print me out new paperwork and marked it as pre-existing. They offered me a new vehicle, but I didn't care about the scratch as long as it was noted as pre-existing.

Two days after returning the vehicle I received an email from a Manager at the location stating that I failed to report the damage on the rental. I responded (via email) that the damage was pre-existing and sent a copy of the paperwork I was provided by the attendant on duty. The response back was a thanks for the prompt response and an apology for the inconvenience. They went on to say that they would continue to investigate where the damage originated.

My initial assumption was that the issue is resolved and that I should not worry about anything else, but then I got to wondering what would happen if they are unable to find the origin of the damage, would they return to me even though my paperwork says it was pre-existing? That would seem like a long shot, but after reading some of the horror stories on the web I am starting to get a little worried.

What are your thoughts?