Budget etoll convenience fee at manual booth

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 26, 2018
I Would be gratefull of your thoughts on the following which, although it only represents a relatively small amount of money, could be a systemic problem which affects a lot of people similarly.

I have been charged the $19.75 etoll convenience fee plus $1.20 on a recent Florida rental. I queried this with my rental broker and they confirmed with Budget that this was on 10/26/2018 at 9:36 am. I remember this journey specifically as I had entered the toll road and paid a £1.25 in quarters at an unmanned toll point on entry then within 1 mile came to another toll station. I queued at a manual booth and had $2 in my hand and offered this at the booth. The Toll collector looked across at me and said "you are good to go" and didnt take my money. I assumed by this that the payment I had already made at the entry toll station had been linked to my licence plate so did as he said and continued my journey, making further payments at several more manual toll stations on the rest of my journey.

A week after returning the car Budget invoiced my cretit card directly for $20.95. My rental broker is unable to raise this matter for me with budget so I would appreciate any contact numbers/emails I can chase this on, particularly as it seems to be an issue with Florida DoT systems rather than Budget, or if I am "chasing the wind" in trying to get a resolution?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is well known when renting a car in Florida. Unfortunately the car rental companies never tell you this- if you don’t know about buying your own Sunpass and that you can turn off the transponder in the car- this is what happens.

We have company contacts for Budget on our Company Contacts Page. I would suggest you write to them and complain that the rental office never told you about the toll passes and that they should do every renter knows their options. Ask for a refund- the worst they can say is no and the best is that they refund and get hold of the location you renter from and educate the agents.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
This is well known when renting a car in Florida. Unfortunately the car rental companies never tell you this- if you don’t know about buying your own Sunpass and that you can turn off the transponder in the car- this is what happens.

We have company contacts for Hertz on our Company Contacts Page. I would suggest you write to them and complain that the rental office never told you about the toll passes and that they should do every renter knows their options. Ask for a refund- the worst they can say is no and the best is that they refund and get hold of the location you renter from and educate the agents.
Not a Hertz car. Avis/Budget

Nov 26, 2018
Neil,
Thanks for the advice, had I known the transponder could be turned off I would certainly have done so! As you suggest I will advise Budget of the circumstances and see how they respond. Given the convenience of etolls I must admit for the $20 I think I will use it next time and not have this issue to worry about!!

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
It's way better to use an eToll than to have to fumble for change and in some cases wait in long lines. For me it's worth it. Alternatively if you visit a place regularly you may be able to order one or if you have a transponder that works in the place you are visiting, you could take it there (just don't leave it in the car and do remember to ensure the provided transponder isn't active).

Aug 13, 2016
With a recent Avis rental in Denver, I was charged for an e-toll for 470 which runs north of the airport. On that particular day, my rental car was in a parking lot in Englewood, CO well south of Denver. The representative had no explanation and issued a credit.