Budget continuing to charge for returned rental car

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 3, 2018
I've rented a car from Budget at the Dallas Fort Worth airport a number of times over the last few months. I fly in on Sunday night and fly out Friday evening every other week. Last week, I picked up the car Sunday evening and, as before, returned it to the returns area on the top level of the rental car center parking structure. As has been noted by others, you don't typically see an agent check your car in, you drop it in a check in area and go about your day. Normally I get an email receipt in less than 30 minutes. After an hour, I called the "customer service" number on the Budget app and said I hadn't received a receipt. They said it would be taken care of and I'd see a receipt in 72 hours. On Saturday, I checked, no receipt and the rental still showed open on the app. So I called back. This time, they said they are the reservations team and couldn't help me. I needed to "return to the location" to get it resolved. I'm two states away at this point so that's not an option. I found the 972-615-4400 number for the location and called. I was given a case number as they investigate. Monday morning I awoke to find an additional $282.51 billed to my DEBIT card, not even my credit card used to rent the vehicle! I called back and was told the investigation is ongoing. There are cameras all over that facility. Additionally, I have to assume the car has some kind of GPS tracking. They have to know the car was returned and on time. It is now Tuesday and still no resolution.

Sep 19, 2015
Take your debit card off the rental info for the future as there are less protections for debit cards.

Sounds like someone just missed checking in the car.

Should be easy to prove that the car was renturned and that you got on a flight that night but what a hassle for you.

Dec 3, 2018
To bring everyone up to speed and close this thread out, Budget finally closed the rental this morning. I don't know if anyone from Elliott corresponded with them, but I did remove my debit card on Monday and called everyday since to check status and let them know I'm not rolling over on this. They did show the rental return at 3:15 PM CST on Friday the 30th. My lesson learned. I will grab an agent by the ear and drag them to my return before leaving the area in all future instances.

Sep 19, 2015
Steve glad it was resolved— someone made a mistake and did not process your return properly.
Yes I think one has to make sure that an agent checks in the car even if it means getting to the rental place earlier. Such a hassle.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
To bring everyone up to speed and close this thread out, Budget finally closed the rental this morning. I don't know if anyone from Elliott corresponded with them, but I did remove my debit card on Monday and called everyday since to check status and let them know I'm not rolling over on this. They did show the rental return at 3:15 PM CST on Friday the 30th. My lesson learned. I will grab an agent by the ear and drag them to my return before leaving the area in all future instances.
So happy those bozos finally figured it out, Steve. The rental car companies are getting completely out of hand with the scammy behviour. I think they prey on business people, hoping that the bogus charges aren't noticed. It's just disgusting, and it's happening with the guy who rents a few cars out of his office parking lot to the top "name-brands".