Budget Charged Me for Damages that I didn't do

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 30, 2019
I'm glad I found this site. I rented a jeep for my family for 2 days in Colorado in June 6th and 7th. I paid in full for the rental and tolls. Today I received a letter stating that i would be charged for damages that incurred while I had the rental. There was no information on what the damages were. I checked my bank account the charges are pending on same day I received letter. I emailed the email on the letter with no response and I called the 1-800-984-9123 and spoke to Jan. She informed me that the rover that looks the car over upon return does not write down damages. The regional manager checks that and bills for the damages. She stated I had bumper damage. I asked for pictures and she said they do not take pictures before or after the rental.
Any suggestions on how I can keep from getting spammed like this?

Mar 18, 2019
This forum has a really great post detailing all of the things you need to do. Read the post carefully and thoroughly, including all the posts that are linked from it. (Especially the "Disputing the Claim" section).

Follow the instructions carefully. This forum tends to have good luck when people follow the advice. Feel free to post your proposed letter here if you want some advice on the content.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-car-rental-damage-claim.9703/

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes that’s true. Which is to your advantage. Because if you took pictures at pick up and drop off you have more then they do.
And if you tell them to show you pictures and they can’t it makes it harder for them to say you did it.

If you follow the steps in post 2 it results in the charged being dropped almost every time

Sep 30, 2019
I just spent an hour on the phone with them and they didn't have pictures and I did. There was a small quarter sized dent in the front bumper and they billed me for the bumper. Luckily I had time stamped photos of the bumper when I picked it up showing the Lot Number where it was.
She stated my refund would take 72 hours to process so we will see.
Thanks for everyone's help

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I just spent an hour on the phone with them and they didn't have pictures and I did. There was a small quarter sized dent in the front bumper and they billed me for the bumper. Luckily I had time stamped photos of the bumper when I picked it up showing the Lot Number where it was.
She stated my refund would take 72 hours to process so we will see.
Thanks for everyone's help
They have probably billed multiple previous renters for this same pre-existing dent, and will probably continue to do the same hoping some will pay.

Oct 7, 2019
The claim I received was for a car I rented over 150 days ago. I do not have any photos anymore or any paper work. I am waiting for copies from Payless. Will I be screwed if I do not have the photos anymore?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
The claim I received was for a car I rented over 150 days ago. I do not have any photos anymore or any paper work. I am waiting for copies from Payless. Will I be screwed if I do not have the photos anymore?
Sounds like you are commenting on your issue for the first time? If so, start a new thread stating the details of your case and we can advise you how to appeal.

Sep 10, 2017
If the rental company can't produce photos then what proof do they have. This is why I take pictures and videos of rental vehicles before and after. For a Jeep you would think they would've had more dents than other makes?