Bruening Glass Works

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 14, 2019
Bruening Glass Works is a company located at 20157 Lake Rd in Rocky River, OH 44116. Owner is Marc Konys. Phone number: 440-333-4768. Their website is brueningglass.com. The company specializes in repairing various types of glassware.
I sent them a fine Venetian glass flower vase, which has real sentimental value (and is a beautiful piece) on 07/17/2019, to repair a broken stem. The company received the vase on 07/24/2019. I prepaid the repair cost of $195.00 by VISA. (I have a statement showing the payment was received.) I was told by Marc in a phone conversation that it would take 6-10 weeks to repair and return the vase.
Not having received the vase by the indicated time, I called Marc on 10/17/19 and again on 10/23/19 and left a voicemail message for him to call me back with the status of the repair. Not having heard back from him, I subsequently sent him four email followups on 10/24, 10/29, 10/31, and 11/05. To date I have not heard back.
I checked out the firm on line (which I should have done before I mailed the vase) and discovered much to my chagrin that there have been numerous complaints about Marc and his company from people around the country, who have sent him valuable pieces and in many cases have never received them back (repaired or not repaired). Many of those complaints were filed with the Better Business Bureau.
I would like to know if I have any recourse at this time. (I live in California and do not plan on visiting Ohio anytime soon.)

May 1, 2018
This seem like a small operation so there is no one else to escalate to if the owner isn't willing to play ball. I think the only real option you have is to sue the company in Ohio.

As Neil mentioned, you should file a complaint with the Attorney General about this scammy business, but the AG won't get your vase back directly.

Mar 23, 2015
That's not how criminal law works. The OP knowingly and willingly sent the vase to the repair shop. If the shop fails to return the vase, her recourse is to sue for the value of the item in court.
You are correct; however, Rocky River is a small town and it's possible that if the OP called the police there they MIGHT, as a courtesy go to the business and say "Hey we've received this complaint..." Worst case scenario, the police do nothing. Best case, they do a courtesy visit to the business. *Shrug* Before I did a small claims court case for $195 I think I'd try a phone call...

Nov 14, 2019
Neil, you are correct. The vase was a gift from me to my mother back in 1968 when I was in the Army. It had real sentimental value.
By the way, I checked the website of the Ohio Attorney General. Apparently, there have been dozens of consumer complaints filed with that office over the years concerning this company. However, the company continues to operate. Don't know why.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil, you are correct. The vase was a gift from me to my mother back in 1968 when I was in the Army. It had real sentimental value.
By the way, I checked the website of the Ohio Attorney General. Apparently, there have been dozens of consumer complaints filed with that office over the years concerning this company. However, the company continues to operate. Don't know why.
Because the AG has been powerless to shut them down.
Try your credit card company at least to get your money back.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
It is probably technically too late to file a dispute for the credit card transaction, if they stick to their rules.

Feb 3, 2017
Maybe write them - email/whatever - to say you plan to file a complaint with the AG and that you also intend to sue, say you will give them 10 (or 15) days to return your item before you go forward with both those actions.

They may or may not respond in some way but at least they will know you are not just going away.

Actually, I would type it up (simple, straight-forward language) and send it to them via certified mail so you receive back a signed receipt of their receipt of getting your correspondence.

And, yes, definitely check with your bank to see if you still have a chance at a charge back.

Feb 3, 2017
Oh, boy, just read some of the BB complaints, most echoing this situation.

One thing I would take away from such a situation for the future is not to pay in advance for such work. I have, at times, had to put a deposit down for certain types of repairs but that has always been at a brick and mortar business that I can physically go to but would never pay full price before the work was complete.

I am guessing you did not have a nearby option which is a shame. I do hope there will be a way to make this man do the right thing. Good luck.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What an awful situation. This case strikes me as one with an individual who "thinks" he has a business but is unable to operate it properly. I'd just keep at him and eventually he'll repair the vase. Whether he'll ever get around to shipping it back to you is, of course, another story. Your priority is to retreive the vase your mother gave you. Report a theft, complain to the AG, file a dispute with Visa; they may pressure him so he puts your vase on top of his to-do list, email him every two weeks ... anything to get your valuable vase returned. Even if it's in pieces, you want it back.

Mar 23, 2015
So, I was reading the Google Reviews and this is the text of one of them, for what it's worth. (If it's not allowed, remove it.)
"If I had seen these reviews I would NEVER have sent my Crystal decanter to be repaired. I sent it to Bruening glass works in October...kept getting promised it was almost finished, then no answering of calls, emails, [...] I ended up calling the Rocky River Police department. I was transferred to the Detective who handles all of these complaints...yep they get calls ALL THE TIME. Turns out, the owner is just a terrible business man...The detective told me he would drive to the shop and tell him to return it asap. THE NEXT DAY I GOT A CALL FROM BRUENING THAT IT WAS FIXED AND WOULD BE SHIPPED! (Two days later, I received my decanter back, totally restored and in beautiful condition!! So, if you sent this guy something, and he is not responding, call the police dept. and get ahold of the detective. SO, if you are considering using him, don't. If you did and can't get your items back, call the police dept. "

So, apparently, calling the police in Rocky River is actually an option!