Brother Printer Problem--2nd time!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Thank you. Even though it is another state, it is closer than the other New Jersey places. I appreciate your help. I plan to go to Costco with my receipt and speak to them. I will keep you posted on the result.
Take a couple of printed pages as samples of the problem. You might just run into someone at Costco that knows all about printers ... It's possible.

Aug 9, 2017
Why continue buying Brother printers if you continue to have problems with them? I would suggest looking at another manufacturer if you have to buy another.
IMO, better to research a specific model under consideration on places like Amazon prior to purchase.

I would not rule out Brother just because a singular model in the lineup has shown itself to be unreliable. Why do I feel that way? Because you can have a bad experience with almost any manufacturer. I have a Brother that has been very reliable for about 3 years. I also had (note the past tense) a brand often known to be very good and associated with a long ago calculator manufacturer in the USA. On occasion it would print but not scan or copy. The OEM support was near useless yet the problem was well known on the web. The solution, also on the web, was to turn off the printer, raise the right edge about 4 inches, and drop it. It then would work fine, often for weeks, sometimes only hours. Once the ink cartridges ran low, I replaced it with the same brand, but I carefully researched reviews, many on Amazon.

Nov 29, 2018
IMO, better to research a specific model under consideration on places like Amazon prior to purchase.

I would not rule out Brother just because a singular model in the lineup has shown itself to be unreliable. Why do I feel that way? Because you can have a bad experience with almost any manufacturer. I have a Brother that has been very reliable for about 3 years. I also had (note the past tense) a brand often known to be very good and associated with a long ago calculator manufacturer in the USA. On occasion it would print but not scan or copy. The OEM support was near useless yet the problem was well known on the web. The solution, also on the web, was to turn off the printer, raise the right edge about 4 inches, and drop it. It then would work fine, often for weeks, sometimes only hours. Once the ink cartridges ran low, I replaced it with the same brand, but I carefully researched reviews, many on Amazon.
I had researched it and found this printer was highly recommended. I had the same problem twice. I checked the Internet and other people complained of the same problem. Brother wouldn't do anything for me. I think this is unfair. I have had bad luck with HP but still bought that brand. I just didn't like Brother's attitude.

Aug 9, 2017
I had researched it and found this printer was highly recommended. I had the same problem twice. I checked the Internet and other people complained of the same problem. Brother wouldn't do anything for me. I think this is unfair. I have had bad luck with HP but still bought that brand. I just didn't like Brother's attitude.
Glad Costco worked out!

You and I are doling research in differing places. That printer, on Amazon, has 16% finding fault and giving it a "1" and most of them finding some form of fault with the fuser roller. 16% is one out of six buyers and there are 1600+ reviews; not a good track record!

Some people don't like Amazon reviews, but personally I find Amazon reviews to be valuable. I would have not purchased a product that had 16% in the "1" category. I also like to check the dates on poor reviews. If the number of bad reviews for a specific defect drop after a year or so, it could very well mean the manufacturer corrected the defect in a later design.

Nov 29, 2018
Glad Costco worked out!

You and I are doling research in differing places. That printer, on Amazon, has 16% finding fault and giving it a "1" and most of them finding some form of fault with the fuser roller. 16% is one out of six buyers and there are 1600+ reviews; not a good track record!

Some people don't like Amazon reviews, but personally I find Amazon reviews to be valuable. I would have not purchased a product that had 16% in the "1" category. I also like to check the dates on poor reviews. If the number of bad reviews for a specific defect drop after a year or so, it could very well mean the manufacturer corrected the defect in a later design.
You are right. I went with reviews from PC Magazine and places like that. I bought it when the model was new so I'm not sure this defect was noted at that time.