Brother Printer Problem--2nd time!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 29, 2018
I bought a Brother HL-3170CDW color laser printer. While under waranty the rear red print roller became damaged. As a result the paper was wrinkled and parts of the print were missing. The printer was replaced. Now on the replacement printer the same thing happened. I called and was told it was not under waranty so I had to bring it to a repair place on Staten Island, NY to service. I live in New Jersey. The printer is heavy. I am elderly. I checked on the Internet and found there were other complaints about that red roller being damaged. Seems to me there should be a recall. I only use regular paper. I am a home user and am not hard on the printer. I have many toner cartridges (about $50 each) that I bought that I cannot return and will be stuck with.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
How annoying. We can steer you in the right direction. I'm late for an appointment but my colleagues will respond soon and I'll come back to you ASAP.

Sep 12, 2015
If you bought it at Costco, you might try talking to them. I've found that they are really terrific about taking back items, even if it's out-of-warranty. Given that you've already had a previous problem, I think there's a good chance they'll replace it for you.

Nov 29, 2018
Hi Shirl, yes we are on - we are trying to find US contacts rather than the Head office contacts in Japan. Give us a few days and we will get some to you.
Hi Shirl, yes we are on - we are trying to find US contacts rather than the Head office contacts in Japan. Give us a few days and we will get some to you.
Thank you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you bought it at Costco, you might try talking to them. I've found that they are really terrific about taking back items, even if it's out-of-warranty. Given that you've already had a previous problem, I think there's a good chance they'll replace it for you.
Just what I was going to suggest ... I've heard wonderful things about Costco customer service.

Aug 9, 2017
I don't have that exact model, but do have one within the same series. If you open the back of the printer (to look at the roller) makes ure the gray levers are in the "A" position. The "B" position should only be used envelopes.

If you print in duplex mode (both sides) verify that your "regular" paper is between 20# and 28# bond.

Nov 29, 2018
I don't have that exact model, but do have one within the same series. If you open the back of the printer (to look at the roller) makes ure the gray levers are in the "A" position. The "B" position should only be used envelopes.

If you print in duplex mode (both sides) verify that your "regular" paper is between 20# and 28# bond.
The problem is the red roller in the back deteriorates and the surface flakes off. This puts creases in the paper and blocks some on the toner. It is not something that can be replaced without bringing it in for service. I am a home user and don't abuse the machine. If I print envelopes I do it through the back. Thanks for trying!

Aug 9, 2017
If Costco won't replace then you may have some alternatives to going to Staten Island. I don;t know your zip code but the Brother service search shows two places in NJ that can service printers. These two were found using the zip code of Clinton NJ and a 25 mile search. I'd call them first before taking the machine in.

Reliance Computers Inc
69 Main Street
South Bound Brook NJ
(732-748-9686)

RE Business Solutions
1340 US Highway 206
Skillman NJ
(800) 533-9949

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You also may wish to find out if the printer cartridges you have will fit other Brother color printers as it may not be worth the cost of repairing the printer you have versus purchasing a new and different model from Brother. It is also possible that the cartridges you have may fit other brand color printers.

Nov 29, 2018
If Costco won't replace then you may have some alternatives to going to Staten Island. I don;t know your zip code but the Brother service search shows two places in NJ that can service printers. These two were found using the zip code of Clinton NJ and a 25 mile search. I'd call them first before taking the machine in.

Reliance Computers Inc
69 Main Street
South Bound Brook NJ
(732-748-9686)

RE Business Solutions
1340 US Highway 206
Skillman NJ
(800) 533-9949
Thank you. Even though it is another state, it is closer than the other New Jersey places. I appreciate your help. I plan to go to Costco with my receipt and speak to them. I will keep you posted on the result.

Nov 29, 2018
You also may wish to find out if the printer cartridges you have will fit other Brother color printers as it may not be worth the cost of repairing the printer you have versus purchasing a new and different model from Brother. It is also possible that the cartridges you have may fit other brand color printers.
That's a great idea. They are compatible with other Brother printers. Maybe I can sell them and get some of the money back on ebay. Thank you.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Why continue buying Brother printers if you continue to have problems with them? I would suggest looking at another manufacturer if you have to buy another.
She said "I have many toner cartridges (about $50 each) that I bought that I cannot return and will be stuck with. ". If these cartridges work in other printers she may be able to use them.