Broken wheel on new carry on bag.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 11, 2019
Upon arriving on the dock where the Silver Seas crew had left my luggage upon disembarkation I discovered that one of the four wheels had been broken off. This was a brand new expensive bag that was in perfect condition when left outside my suite the previous night. I would like either compensation for it's repair or a new bag. A bag with three wheels is practically useless for travelling. Please advise.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Upon arriving on the dock where the Silver Seas crew had left my luggage upon disembarkation I discovered that one of the four wheels had been broken off. This was a brand new expensive bag that was in perfect condition when left outside my suite the previous night. I would like either compensation for it's repair or a new bag. A bag with three wheels is practically useless for travelling. Please advise.
In the meantime while you are pursuing the above, take your bag to a manufacturer approved repair location and have it repaired. This type of damage is usually easy and not expensive to repair.

Assuming that the bag is repairable, asking for a new bag will not succeed since a replacement wheel will have no negative impact on the bag's functionality.

Apr 3, 2019
Typically, most luggage comes with a manufacturer's warranty (2 to 10 years or even lifetime)- depending on manufacturer. This may be covered under warranty as most wheels should not break off during normal use. I would look at the hang tags/paperwork provided with initial purchase of luggage and follow instructions for warranty repair or service.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What steps have you taken so far? Seems to me that a claim with the cruise line would be your first option. Have they turned it down?

Apr 27, 2018
I work at a luggage store and we do luggage repair as well. The store I work at would charge $40 dollars for a new wheel. Most manufacturers do not cover this, but if it was purchased in the past year some, like Tumi, Victoronox, and Ricardo will cover it. If you have Briggs & Riley or Travelpro Platinum series you are covered no matter what

Apr 27, 2018
Typically, most luggage comes with a manufacturer's warranty (2 to 10 years or even lifetime)- depending on manufacturer. This may be covered under warranty as most wheels should not break off during normal use. I would look at the hang tags/paperwork provided with initial purchase of luggage and follow instructions for warranty repair or service.
Most manufacturers will not cover this... it is not a defect.

Aug 9, 2017
Depending on the suitcase, it isn’t difficult to replace to replace the wheels yourself. Check th interior of your suitcase and examine the interior lining for a zipper. If you have the zipper then unzip and that will provide access to the corners where the wheels mount, usually with just a few screws. Get the diameter of the wheel and then Google “luggage replacement wheels” (without the quotes) and look for the diameter and type of mount. For the common brands of suitcases the wheels are often readily available.