Bringing food from the USA to Mexico and then back again?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 6, 2017
Does anyone know the answer? If I bring "turky jerky" in sealed packages to Mexico--would USA customs be a problem if I had any I didnt eat and brought it back to the USA? (it looks like the Mexico customs would be ok with bringing it to Mexico) Same question for dried fruit? I assume the packages have to be sealed...thanks Steve

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I believe as long as everything is sealed it’s not a problem. I always bring snacks in a carry on and usually the same uneaten ones back home and no one ever questioned me. From the Cancun airport website:

“As a rule of thumb you are allowed to bring into Mexico whatever you need for the time period you will be staying in Mexico. You are not allowed to bring food, fruits and/or products that are not "company" packed and sealed.”

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This from CBP may answer your question:

www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/cbp-reqs-mexico

Prohibited/Permissible Agricultural Items

"Do not take U.S. fruits and meats to Mexico-You cannot bring them back."​

I don't know if jerky is considered a "meat" under these circumstances, but the same site says to ask CBP . . .
It’s packaged and sealed. I believe the CPB means unsealed items. I’ve taken jerky myself and never questioned. But I’ve actually eaten it and not brought it back either.

Sep 19, 2015
Does anyone know the answer? If I bring "turky jerky" in sealed packages to Mexico--would USA customs be a problem if I had any I didnt eat and brought it back to the USA? (it looks like the Mexico customs would be ok with bringing it to Mexico) Same question for dried fruit? I assume the packages have to be sealed...thanks Steve
You can try to ask the CPD before departure about the specific food and reentry.

SteveG, with US customs and agriculture the problem comes in not declaring the food items. In general the US will not fine someone who declares the food and if it is not allowed back in the country, the item will just be seized. So always declare. One may be delayed a bit upon entry as the item is examined, but that has not caused me any problems -- I say this as someone who recently brought in packaged dried spices from Italy and declared them.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Just eat whatever you fly out with so you don’t have to worry about bringing it back.

You don’t want to mistakenly not declare something and be accused of wrongdoing. We had a post here a while ago of someone who was refused Global
entry when they applied because of a customs issue that occurred when they came back to the US if I recall correctly.

Dec 19, 2014
Why would you do this? Bring what you think you need and discard the rest before you return to the US.

If you must bring something back then declare it (and be prepared for enhanced screening and potential delay clearing customs

But, processed foods that are sealed are permissible.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I took some plants (a religious Jewish item for Sukkot) to the UK and back and I declared it at US customs even though it came from the USA. It's not worth the trouble for not doing so, especially if you have Global Entry like I do and want to keep it.

Sep 19, 2015
foreign meat products are of concern to CBP so once the

“The importation of fresh, dried or canned meats or meat products is generally not allowed from most foreign countries into the United States. This includes products that have been prepared with meat.“

The OP is not bringing in a foreign item—but the unopened package may warrant inspection.

I do not know what the cost is of Turkey jerky but is it worth the time and hassle to bring it back vs throwing it out if not eaten?

It was worth my time for the Italian spices because they do taste different— so it is a personal decision