Bookit.com "call for deal"

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 8, 2015
Booking flight and hotel for FLL Oct 10-13. Bookit has a $635 "special" only by calling... the next room rate is $830. My spidey sense started tingling.
I have a problem with giving out all my information via the phone, and there are too many issues waiting to happen in the transfer of information. How is it cheaper by almost $200 by talking to a rep, as compared to booking online?

Any opinion? Am I just being paranoid?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
My advise would be to RUN!!! Go online and look at the actual cost with the airline and the hotel. Go to the websites of both, stay as far as possible from 3rd party booking engines. If something at all goes wrong and you need assistance you are out of luck. Typically the savings if any at all are not worth the aggravation and loss of money when things go wrong.

Another thought would be to drop by your corner travel agent and have them price it out for you.

Bottom line if you read this forum at all, it's full of nightmare stories of booking with the likes of Expedia, Orbitz, Bookit, etc....

B

bodega3

Booking flight and hotel for FLL Oct 10-13. Bookit has a $635 "special" only by calling... the next room rate is $830. My spidey sense started tingling.
I have a problem with giving out all my information via the phone, and there are too many issues waiting to happen in the transfer of information. How is it cheaper by almost $200 by talking to a rep, as compared to booking online?

You are being paranoid. Who is looking at what you type in on the other end? I bet if you called a real travel agent you might even find something better.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
What hotel? Is that the nightly rate? Does it include flight? No one cares about your personal info on the phone. Don't worry about that. The only concern I would have is whether you are truly getting the deal you think you are. Price out the components separately and see for yourself.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Do you also realize they often give you lousy flights to keep the price low? If you check connections they are usually either too long or two short.

Use them for checking prices only and then go to the airlines site and look or better yet, call a travel agent.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Also a possibility that someone is spoofing the website and will take your money and disappear... A phone call?
Worth calling and see what you think.
I wouldn't give them my credit card Info though..
I think it's good to be paranoid, if you get that sense.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What hotel? Is that the nightly rate? Does it include flight? No one cares about your personal info on the phone. Don't worry about that. The only concern I would have is whether you are truly getting the deal you think you are. Price out the components separately and see for yourself.
AAGH, I think people are perfectly normal worrying about their ID and credit card information over the phone as well as the Internet. We need more paranoia when booking travel these days!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Listen to spidey, Captnpat! By all means call the OTA, get the flight itinerary, the name of the hotel. Price it all out. Look at it as a disinterested party. Is the flight itinerary complex? If connections, are they realistic? Never mind legal, you need realistic and do-able. What does TripAdvisor say about the hotel?
Internet bargains do happen, but my colleagues are so right: if there's a problem, an online TA won't help you, and neither will the airline or the hotel. If you have a really strong credit card and the prices pencil out, you might consider going for it. Of course, f the OTA won't give you the specifics when you ask, bye-bye. This is interesting, please let us know how it goes down.