Booking.com price change

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 30, 2019
On 18.01.19 I booked a room for the Mad Hatter Hotel in London for one night - 11.03.2019. The price was 49,50 £, but non-refundable and was immediately taken from credit card. Since I found the good accommodation, I also booked plane tickets to London.

12 days! later I received an e-mail from booking.com:

Dear ***,

We tried calling you to discuss an error in the rate for your booking with The Mad Hatter Hotel, but were unable to reach you.

The actual rate for The Mad Hatter Hotel is 95 GBP, and not 49.50 GBP as mentioned in your booking confirmation.

We're sorry for any inconvenience and the property would like to offer you 95 GBP per night.

Please reply to this email and let us know as soon as possible if you accept this offer. If you have any questions or concerns, just let us know.

I would be happy if booking.com would simply honor their contract. I travel all around the world and this is my principle - I always try to find good accommodation deals and 49,50 € per night for a good double room is possible everywhere. Based on that contract I made my next decisions concerning this trip. Besides, I think that 12 days is too long for them to discover a mistake like this. If this were an obvious mistake, booking.com systems should have alerted a lot sooner.

In a perfect world booking.com would also compensate my time for writing this complaint. I have been their loyal customer for years, but currently very disappointed.

What should I do?

Nov 27, 2017
Have you responded to booking.com? I would let them know that you have already made plans based on the accommodations and have been a loyal customer of booking's. Ask them to honor the rate that you have a confirmation on. Keep it polite and let them know you would like to continue to be a loyal customer.

Sep 19, 2015
On 18.01.19 I booked a room for the Mad Hatter Hotel in London for one night - 11.03.2019. The price was 49,50 £, but non-refundable and was immediately taken from credit card. Since I found the good accommodation, I also booked plane tickets to London.

12 days! later I received an e-mail from booking.com:

Dear ***,

We tried calling you to discuss an error in the rate for your booking with The Mad Hatter Hotel, but were unable to reach you.

The actual rate for The Mad Hatter Hotel is 95 GBP, and not 49.50 GBP as mentioned in your booking confirmation.

We're sorry for any inconvenience and the property would like to offer you 95 GBP per night.

Please reply to this email and let us know as soon as possible if you accept this offer. If you have any questions or concerns, just let us know.

I would be happy if booking.com would simply honor their contract. I travel all around the world and this is my principle - I always try to find good accommodation deals and 49,50 € per night for a good double room is possible everywhere. Based on that contract I made my next decisions concerning this trip. Besides, I think that 12 days is too long for them to discover a mistake like this. If this were an obvious mistake, booking.com systems should have alerted a lot sooner.

In a perfect world booking.com would also compensate my time for writing this complaint. I have been their loyal customer for years, but currently very disappointed.

What should I do?
49.50 is not possible everywhere for a good central double room with a bathroom.

So you are flying in for 1 night in London at this hotel?

Where do you live? I ask because consumer laws vary.

In general a hotel does not have to honor a mistake rate and that is even more so when there is a 3rd party booking engine involved.

Booking.com may offer a goodwill voucher.

Jan 30, 2019
I go for 3 nights from Estonia and to be honest, I searched for good hotel options and this was one of them. Each night at a different hotel, not very convenient, but helps me to save a lot this time. This hotel was available at this price through all major booking sites including the hotel's own site.

Anyway, I responded to booking.com and received an answer from them saying that they "renegotiated" and the initial price stays in force. All is well!

Dec 19, 2014
I'm all for hotel's being able to correct a mistaken rate, however, booking.com is in the wrong on this one.
1) The OP booked a prepaid rate
2) The notification wasn't made within a reasonable time (12 days is not reasonable)
3) The rate of 49.50 GBP is not completely unreasonable depending on the season. I just did a random search of rates and am seeing rates as low as 82 GBP. Its not as if the OP booked a rate of 9.5 GBP.
4) My biggest issue is the 12 day delay in notification.

The hotel is not at fault here. This is 100% on booking.com. Glad to hear that they did the right thing.

Make sure you keep a copy of the response from booking.com. Forward that email, screen shot it, and put it on a backup server. It is still possible that when you check into the hotel, they may not honor the reservation (ie booking.com never paid for the room, or another snafu). If so you will need the paper trail