Booked through Trivago and Sent to Travel-Up

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 23, 2018
Sorry if this ends up in two places. First timer here. I booked a cancelable hotel reservation for a Florida hotel through Trivago, which sent me to Travel Up. I only paid a small deposit of $45.00. I received a confirmation email telling me that I’ll receive my “hotel voucher” once I pay in full. I got cold feet and called the hotel directly to ask about the voucher. The representative told me that if I booked through Trivago and was sent to a third-party site, it’s probably a scam and I won’t have a reservation when I get there. I didn’t even tell the representative that I started with Trivago. I told him that it was a reservation with Travel Up. He’d never heard of it. It’s a UK company and I didn’t realize that when I booked. The reviews for Travel Up are a mix of good and bad and mostly about airline reservations; not hotels. Should I cancel and dispute the small deposit with my credit card company?

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@KimmyKat Here's what I would do... double check that your confirmation states that the rate is refundable. If it does, pay the rest, get your voucher and then call to confirm with the hotel that they have the reservation and you are set. If they don't have it, you cancel the reservation for a 100% refund and book somewhere else. If you don't get your money back, you have the grounds for your chargeback.

Mar 23, 2018
@KimmyKat Here's what I would do... double check that your confirmation states that the rate is refundable. If it does, pay the rest, get your voucher and then call to confirm with the hotel that they have the reservation and you are set. If they don't have it, you cancel the reservation for a 100% refund and book somewhere else. If you don't get your money back, you have the grounds for your chargeback.
Thank you. I was also thinking about waiting to see if they produce a reservation at the quoted rate. I have until May 31 to pay the balance and until June 4 to cancel with only the $45.00 deposit as penalty. Of course, I might have to fight for that remaining balance.. I sent a message to TravelUp. I just received a reply that they are sorry that the hotel told me what they did, but they can assure me that my “booking is 100% confirmed”. I’m going to keep crossing my fingers that this is a legitimate reservation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Trivago is simply an aggregator. They pull listings and you choose the deal you want to go with. You will always book with a third party, never Trivago. Their commercials even state that. It’s not a scam in how Trivago works but I would question Travel Up. Have you called them?

Mar 23, 2018
Trivago is simply an aggregator. They pull listings and you choose the deal you want to go with. You will always book with a third party, never Trivago. Their commercials even state that.
Thanks. Yes, I know. I’ve used Kayak (and previously Sidestep) many times. I had never used Trivago. The reservations agent at the hotel simply said that if I booked through Trivago and ended up at a third-party vendor,, I wouldn’t have a reservation. In hindsight, I realize that it doesn’t make sense. I think the reservations agent may just be tired of people booking through other services. I didn’t tell him anything and I didn’t even say that I booked through Trivago until he said it. The problem is that Trivago didn’t send me to Expedia or Hotels.com or anything I recognized. It sent me to the UK company called TravelUp. Then the reservations agent scared me with his comment. I’ll see what happens.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That’s not true. Most of the time when you book through a third party they don’t send the names to the hotel until a few days before your arrival. The third party has the rooms held in their name and them send names until right before you arrive.

The clerk is giving you incorrect information. Call Travel Up and find out what is going on.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They appear to be legit. Go to their website- in their terms and conditions they mention these certificates and have a link for you the contact them with questions:

Depending on which products or combination of products you choose to book, your terms and conditions will vary, as will our obligations to you. The type of arrangement you enter into will be stated on the booking confirmation and any ATOL certificates we issue. Should you require confirmation of the arrangement you have with us, please contact us HERE

http://www.travelup.com/en-us/terms-and-conditions

http://www.travelup.co.uk/customer-support

Mar 23, 2018
They appear to be legit. Go to their website- in their terms and conditions they mention these certificates and have a link for you the contact them with questions:

Depending on which products or combination of products you choose to book, your terms and conditions will vary, as will our obligations to you. The type of arrangement you enter into will be stated on the booking confirmation and any ATOL certificates we issue. Should you require confirmation of the arrangement you have with us, please contact us HERE

http://www.travelup.com/en-us/terms-and-conditions

http://www.travelup.co.uk/customer-support
Thanks, again, Neil. TravelUp did reply to my email within a couple of hours. See my prior reply to @johnbaker. I'm hanging in there with them for now while I continue to watch other locations and prices. Worst case is that I'll be out $45.00 for canceling. I still have time to deal with any problem since my trip is isn't until mid-June. TravelUp does have a lot of complaints, but they are all related to airfare and mostly related to cancellation or changes, which are more likely to be a problem needing an immediate response. As a UK company, they are selling air travel and air/hotel packages to UK residents and there are some very good deals. I'm a US resident. I must have happened across a hotel-only booking that was offered via Trivago and in US. dollars (I double-checked). They do not offer air travel in the US.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You have to be careful with Trivago because all they do is compile listings with all different prices - you never book through them. This post should be a warning to others about how it works- you could get stuck with a company with terrible reviews

Sep 27, 2017
If your Spidey sense is telling you that this might be a bad idea, then eat the $45, and go ahead and book with someone reputable, preferably a brick-and-mortar agent for complex stuff or directly with the hotel for simple stuff. The general rule of thumb around here is 'look, but don't book' with third party sites/ online 'travel agencies'.

You might feel a bit remorseful now, but you'll have plenty of time to forget it in time to have peace of mind as you journey to a wonderful vacation, instead of being on pins and needles wondering if you'll have a room once you get to your destination.

Mar 23, 2018
Well, here’s what is happening right now. I’ve had a few back and forth interactions with TravelUp over the past six weeks and I even checked with Trivago, who told me that TravelUp is one of their trusted vendors, yadda yadda and they also told me to let them know if there’s a problem. In the past week I had to ask TravelUp how to pay, when to pay, what happens next, etc. My time was running out. TravelUp has been extremely responsive. They respond to every inquiry within a few hours or less. I didn’t listen to Neil. I went ahead and asked how to pay and I paid today. I got a voucher. I’m waiting for TravelUp to tell me what the heck I can do with this voucher. In the meantime, I called the hotel and the reservations desk says that I have no reservation. They said that TravelUp books through others who book through others . . . . And that sometimes a good reservation slips through. Now there is one last hope and that’s that when I was in the payment process, something said that my order would be delivered Monday, May 28th. Yes, this was sort of an experiment once I got going. I’m fine booking something else and I’ve been watching other hotels. There is still availability at my intended hotel and elsewhere. It’s just a lot more money. I know, I know, if it sounds to good to be true . . . .

I’ll update again when I know where this ends.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I hope int he future you don't use Trivago. You lose control of what and with whom you are booking because they are only farm these out to other companies - which can be problem companies with poor ratings. Was it worth all this stress? As I said, TravelUp looked legit and they have answered all your questions so I think you should be okay. I don't know what you mean when you say "I didn't listen to Neil". I told you to contact them and so far, it seems that they are fine.

Usually the voucher is what you take to the hotel and present to them at check in. Isn't that what it says?

Mar 23, 2018
On March 24, (prior post) you said not to book through Trivago. I kept going with the path I was on. I heard your advice and I ignored it. TravelUp is still answering my questions and maybe that’s where they will finally come through. I put them on the spot now. I was sent a voucher with my name and what looks like a reservation and there are some codes, but the hotel didn’t want to hear them. It doesn’t say to present it. It doesn’t say that anywhere. From what the hotel reservations desk is saying, there are people who simply show up with a voucher and it won’t be honored. Could it be a hotel problem? Maybe. It’s a AAA Four Diamond hotel. I would think they’re used to third-party bookings. Was it worth the stress? I’m not sure. For someone who wants a decent, but not exactly “too good to be true” deal, it seems legitimate. I had the time to watch rates and decide if it was worth a try. I do think it’s really important to confirm any reservation directly with the provider. This particular reservation is the only reservation I booked this way. I booked another hotel directly. I booked air directly with Delta. I booked a car with Hertz through a AAA agent. For me, it’s the only loose end and I was willing to play with it, so maybe I can take the stress. By the way, I’m an attorney. We don’t know everything. That’s why I came here.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@KimmyKat Neil was trying to be helpful in recommending booking directly. That is almost always the best advice. If you are willing to take the risk, then there is no problem with booking through a non-direct method. We see the horror stories from third-party bookings on a daily basis. You have made an educated judgement to book with this company. You did your research and were comfortable with the transaction. But that is usually not the case.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You had already paid the $45 so by that point it was already too late.

In the future - don’t use Trivago. They simply an aggregator. You are lucky that you ended up with a good company but you have no control over who you are sent to for booking.

We never recommend using third party companies- we usually advise to book direct.

Oct 10, 2016
Huntley, IL
I never use an OTA. I usually book directly through the hotel and use a brick-and-mortar TA for cruises, etc. I booked a long weekend directly through the Westin in Downtown Phoenix. I then decided I wanted to upgrade our room, which was done with no problem. When I called to upgrade it, the agent told me that if I had booked through an OTA, there would be no way she could change the reservation. One idea is to check the prices on whatever OTA you want to use, find a good rate, and then call the hotel to see if they will match it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I never use an OTA. I usually book directly through the hotel and use a brick-and-mortar TA for cruises, etc. I booked a long weekend directly through the Westin in Downtown Phoenix. I then decided I wanted to upgrade our room, which was done with no problem. When I called to upgrade it, the agent told me that if I had booked through an OTA, there would be no way she could change the reservation. One idea is to check the prices on whatever OTA you want to use, find a good rate, and then call the hotel to see if they will match it.
That is in interesting statement by the hotel. We recently took a group to Florida on a cruise. I had secured a good group rate at a hotel including parking for five days. One of our party decided they thought it was "too expensive" and booked the hotel next door with Travelocity - hotel only.

When we arrived at the hotel and checked in, we purchased transfers to the ship for all the group that had booked the hotel with us. I sent the shuttle information to the other couple to see if they could get on the same shuttle.

The hotel refused to allow them to park at the hotel or use the shuttle. They said if they had booked directly they could have added the fee for parking and the shuttle. Since they booked through an OTA, they wouldn't allow them to park at the hotel or use the shuttle. They had to leave their car at the pier. They saved $40 on the hotel by using Travelocity and is cost them $82 to park at the pier.

That was the first time that I had heard of a hotel doing that to someone who booked through an OTA but hearing your story about not be able to be upgraded tells me that hotels are striking back at OTAs by not providing anything more for those who book through them. Plus you risk getting a lousy room. (We were all on the top floor of our hotel with a view of the beach - our friends were on the second floor overlooking the parking lot).