• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Book-It Not advising Customers

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
FOR OUR OTHER READERS The whole issue with the "language of hotels" regarding suites, ocean front, ocean view, steps from the beach ... it's been going on forever. I don't know what bookit is, but assume it's an online booking service. That's what they do, take your booking. They add no value to the transaction, and often cause problems. Their customer service is usually not very good. Before you book, it's important to do the research so you know exactly what you want. You have to see photos of the exact room category you want, you might even call the hotel before making the booking. Reviews from other travellers need to be read and evaluated. This is a perfect example of what we advise, day in and day out: always book directly with the hotel. Know what you're booking. Once you arrive and stay there, it's usually too late to make corrections.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes Neil, this is the category I was booked into. The card company, after months of letter writing, pictures, documents and so forth have closed the case. I believe I am at the end of the line.
Then BookIt did nothing wrong because the hotels own website says that it is oceanfront. I took that description straight from the website. Book It did nothing wrong - it is the hotel that is misleading. So regardless of what they told you at the resort - the hotel advertises that room as oceanfront. Thats why you lost the charge back. But I have had this same complaint from clients so we know to warn them that these are not true oceanfront - they are the closest rooms to the beach because they are set back.

Resorts often want to blame others for their own problems. I can’t tell you how many times a supplier has said “ your travel supplier did this” or your “travel agent didn’t this”. All it would take a is look at the hotels own website and you could have said to the reps. that blamed BookIt that their own hotel website mislabels the room.

When this hotel was built, Mexico stopped allowing rooms to be built directly on the ocean - this this was how they had to build them. Yes, it's misleading, I agree. We had a honeymooner call us in tears and that's how WE learned years ago about this resort.

Feb 12, 2020
Then BookIt did nothing wrong because the hotels own website says that it is oceanfront. I took that description straight from the website. Book It did nothing wrong - it is the hotel that is misleading. So regardless of what they told you at the resort - the hotel advertises that room as oceanfront. Thats why you lost the charge back. But I have had this same complaint from clients so we know to warn them that these are not true oceanfront - they are the closest rooms to the beach because they are set back.

Resorts often want to blame others for their own problems. I can’t tell you how many times a supplier has said “ your travel supplier did this” or your “travel agent didn’t this”. All it would take a is look at the hotels own website and you could have said to the reps. that blamed BookIt that their own hotel website mislabels the room.

When this hotel was built, Mexico stopped allowing rooms to be built directly on the ocean - this this was how they had to build them. Yes, it's misleading, I agree. We had a honeymooner call us in tears and that's how WE learned years ago about this resort.
Neil the hotel acknowledges the problem but what I can’t seem to get across is the fact that the property sent a letter to all of the vendors addressing this issue and telling them to make their booked clients aware of this. Bookit received notification from the resort but did not tell me, and allowed me to continue making payments, and then arrive at the resort and be disappointed. When Bookit knew for months their is an issue do they not have an obligation to advise me of the situation and allow me to choose if I wish to still go? They did not want to loose the booking and made the decision to not tell me.

Feb 12, 2020
FOR OUR OTHER READERS The whole issue with the "language of hotels" regarding suites, ocean front, ocean view, steps from the beach ... it's been going on forever. I don't know what bookit is, but assume it's an online booking service. That's what they do, take your booking. They add no value to the transaction, and often cause problems. Their customer service is usually not very good. Before you book, it's important to do the research so you know exactly what you want. You have to see photos of the exact room category you want, you might even call the hotel before making the booking. Reviews from other travellers need to be read and evaluated. This is a perfect example of what we advise, day in and day out: always book directly with the hotel. Know what you're booking. Once you arrive and stay there, it's usually too late to make corrections.
You are right! First time I have used this company, obviously the last. I’m certain I asked a dozen times, in many different ways, OCEANFRONT, still lost out.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Neil the hotel acknowledges the problem but what I can’t seem to get across is the fact that the property sent a letter to all of the vendors addressing this issue and telling them to make their booked clients aware of this. Bookit received notification from the resort but did not tell me, and allowed me to continue making payments, and then arrive at the resort and be disappointed. When Bookit knew for months their is an issue do they not have an obligation to advise me of the situation and allow me to choose if I wish to still go? They did not want to loose the booking and made the decision to not tell me.
They need to change their description - that is what feeds the system the OTAS use. They have to fix it on their end regardless of what they are telling you.

Reactions: VoR61 and justlisa

justlisa

Feb 12, 2019
But the hotel itself is still calling the room Oceanfront. They may have sent Bookit something, but I bet you dollars to donuts all it did was prompt someone at Bookit to ensure that the wording on Bookit's website matches what is on the hotel's website. Which it does. Which is likely why Chase sided against you.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
But the hotel itself is still calling the room Oceanfront. They may have sent Bookit something, but I bet you dollars to donuts all it did was prompt someone at Bookit to ensure that the wording on Bookit's website matches what is on the hotel's website. Which it does. Which is likely why Chase sided against you.
The OTAs cannot change the descriptions- they feed from the hotel directly.

Feb 12, 2020
They need to change their description - that is what feeds the system the OTAS use. They have to fix it on their end regardless of what they are telling you.
The OTAs cannot change the descriptions- they feed from the hotel directly.
If Bookit is aware of ANY potential issues, before all monies are paid, and or before a guest arrives, do they not have an obligation to advise their customer? Knowing a client will NOT be satisfied and that there WILL be a problem but choosing to not disclose?

VoR61

Jan 6, 2015
the United States

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If Bookit is aware of ANY potential issues, before all monies are paid, and or before a guest arrives, do they not have an obligation to advise their customer? Knowing a client will NOT be satisfied and that there WILL be a problem but choosing to not disclose?
BookIt is an online booking engine where you pick what you want and buy it. Its purely do it yourself. It’s up to the user to know everything about what you are booking. It does not give you advice - it books what you pick. Your real issue is with Excellence- they own the misleading description and their computer system is what feeds the room description at each OTA and travel agency. They cannot override Excellences own room category.

I can’t tell you how many times employees are these resorts and on cruise lines throw the blame on an agency when a customer is angry to get them out of their hair. They outright lied to you about how BookIt and every other OTA gets their descriptions. Had you know that their own website lists that room as oceanfront- you could have thrown that back to them and listened to them try to explain their own companies description.

A real travel agency who have trained agents that book the property or have been there are the ones who would have been able to tell you what to expect at that property.This is why real travel agencies are thriving. We tell you what to expect.

The problem is all Excellence- not BookIt.