BMW 528i Defective Drive Train Malfunction

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 22, 2019
Hi

I'm having an issue with BMW North America paying the full cost to replace my engine due to an defective drive train that went out and tore up my engine in which they have offered to pay half on s new engine however the drive train is a defective part in which they paid for other consumer new engines for the same defective part . This has caused me stress & hardship and I need my automobile .. I have to pay for a rental car for amost two months trying to get BMW to take full ownership or replace
My car due to I was not aware BMW 538i defective drive train manufacturer malfunction would damage your engine.
When it go out with no warning at all
I contacted BMW , and it going two months now and no resolution.

Regards
MM

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
What year is the car and what is the mileage? Did you buy the car new? If you purchased the car used, what was the mileage when you purchased it? Who performed the regular maintenance, a dealer or another shop?
Without this infromation, it is not possible to offer any advice.

Apr 22, 2019
I purchased the car in 2013 from Fields BMW with 18,000 miles and the car has always been serviced at BMW dealerships in which I have BMW rep info, the issue is BMW knew about this issue in ,2012 and 2013 and never
Communicated to the consumer , and
It's not normal for a drive train to go out and tear up a whole engine. There is lawsuits because of this issue , you get no warning of this issue and if the drive train go out on the 538i there is possiblity your engine will be damage because of this issue. BMW has paid for several consumer engines because this issue and consumers had over 100,000 miles on their car in which I don't .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You purchased the car in 2013 but what year is it? And how many miles?

Have any of these lawsuits been successful? If BMW hasn't been covering any of the repairs for this issue you also might have to retain a lawyer and sue them since the car is out of warranty. You don't say how many miles or the year. Mileage doesn't always matter - but age of the car does. If you have had is serviced at the dealers, what did they say about this issue? They saw no signs during your servicing?

We have company contacts on top of our page. Find the contacts for BMW and read this post on how to write and then begin your writing campaign. Let us know how you make out.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Apr 22, 2019
Yes the lawsuits has been successful and they have paid for other consumers engines . Also when I purchased the vehicle they suit was going on 2013 in which I was not made aware of issue when I purchased the vehicle. They have offered to pay for half the cost of a new engine and they to pay for the whole engine due the drive train part is defective, a normal drive train does not break your engine when it goes out

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes the lawsuits has been successful and they have paid for other consumers engines . Also when I purchased the vehicle they suit was going on 2013 in which I was not made aware of issue when I purchased the vehicle. They have offered to pay for half the cost of a new engine and they to pay for the whole engine due the drive train part is defective, a normal drive train does not break your engine when it goes out
Again- what year is the car and how many miles? It is very frustrating to us when we ask specific questions to try to determine the validity of your case and you refuse to answer our questions. The age of the car and mileage does made a difference. It also makes a difference to us if it is something we can go to bat for you with.

I agree with you this sounds like a really odd mechanical situation but without knowing the age of the car it’s impossible to know.

Follow the information I gave you above on how to write and tell them their offer isn’t good enough.

If you go all the way through the Executives and they still say no, you will probably need to retain an attorney.

Apr 22, 2019
I have wrote to President office and it just appears that BMW does not care about how they treat loyal customers . I have invested over 40 something thousands in this car and to learn these vehicles are being built with a defective drive train part , in I'm Hart broken.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I have wrote to President office and it just appears that BMW does not care about how they treat loyal customers . I have invested over 40 something thousands in this car and to learn these vehicles are being built with a defective drive train part, in I'm Hart broken.

If you have written to the president and cannot tell us the model year and mileage there is very little else to suggest to you.
Have you inquired about a used or rebuilt engine rather than a new engine? This would be less expensive (much less) to fix the problem.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I stated that in the early in my post 2012 in which I purchased in 2013 from Fields BMW
With 18,000.
So what was the actual " defective drive train" malfunction and how was the engine damaged? Can you give any links to lawsuits due to the same or similar issues?

BMW warranty is usually 4 yrs or 50k miles. You should have had an option to extend that warranty before the original one ran out.
If you can find references to BMW repairing cars that are beyond 4 yrs and 50 k miles we can look at this and advise. Your car is 7-8 years old with 80k miles.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You said you bought in 2013 but you didn’t say what year it was.

“I purchased the car in 2013 from Fields BMW with 18,000 miles and the car has always been serviced at BMW dealerships in which I have BMW rep info, the issue is BMW knew about this issue in ,2012 and 2013 and never
Communicated to the consumer , and ”

Did you have the option of buying an extended warranty? That is the only thing I can see rust would have helped. We all take a chance by not buying an extended warranty when the initial warranty is up and gamble that there isn’t going to be a big problem down the road. I’ve had an engine blow up on an older car and that signaled it was time to buy a new car.

If you have already written to the CEO and they have told you no, it’s time to get an attorney and think about buying a new car. There isn’t anything else we can do.

Why not try to get in touch with these some of the owners who got BMW to pay in full for their repairs and ask how they did it. They may able to refer you to an attorney.

Apr 22, 2019
This issue is not a warranty issue, if the drive train broke I would take full responsibility, however when the drive train brakes, and it damage my whole engine this is not normal and the consumer get no warning that the drive train is going out in order to fix it the problems
I will post up other issue with drive train and BMW paid for replacement of engins for other consumers and lawsuits.

Apr 22, 2019
You said you bought in 2013 but you didn’t say what year it was.

“I purchased the car in 2013 from Fields BMW with 18,000 miles and the car has always been serviced at BMW dealerships in which I have BMW rep info, the issue is BMW knew about this issue in ,2012 and 2013 and never
Communicated to the consumer , and ”

Did you have the option of buying an extended warranty? That is the only thing I can see rust would have helped. We all take a chance by not buying an extended warranty when the initial warranty is up and gamble that there isn’t going to be a big problem down the road. I’ve had an engine blow up on an older car and that signaled it was time to buy a new car.

If you have already written to the CEO and they have told you no, it’s time to get an attorney and think about buying a new car. There isn’t anything else we can do.

Why not try to get in touch with these some of the owners who got BMW to pay in full for their repairs and ask how they did it. They may able to refer you to an attorney.
This issue is an effective part , nothing to do with a warranty issue.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Is your car an XI model? That is the one the class action suit is about.

“A variety of vehicles are affected by the alleged defects including certain X3 SUVs, 528xi sedans, and 328i sedans.”

The attorneys representing owners are listed in this article. Try contacting the attorneys and see if you can be added to the lawsuit:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...t-class-action-moves-forward-warranty-claims/

An extended warranty should have covered this.

At this point, all we can do is advise you to contact an attorney. The fact that they agreed to pay half the cost on a 7 year old car leads me to believe they know there is an issue, but it may take an attorney to force the issue.