BMW 528i 2013 Engine Failure

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 9, 2019
As a long time customer of BMW I never thought my engine would seize and die on a major expressway at 97,000 miles. Fortunately I was able to get off the road minutes after the warning of “low oil pressure” followed by “Drive train malfunction, maximum drivetrain output not available”.
The car was bucking like a horse while pulling on to the emergency area. Minutes later it died and had to be towed to the dealership. I found out there is a$800 million class action suit against BMW for this failure causing the engine to seize. I am negotiating with BMW to do the “right” thing and replace the engine. So far they are willing to pay 75% of the cost which I find unacceptable. It should be 100%. Has anyone else experienced this failure?

Sep 19, 2015
You will likely have better responses on a BMW forum.

As for the class action lawsuit we cannot give legal advice about that.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
As a long time customer of BMW I never thought my engine would seize and die on a major expressway at 97,000 miles. Fortunately I was able to get off the road minutes after the warning of “low oil pressure” followed by “Drive train malfunction, maximum drivetrain output not available”.
The car was bucking like a horse while pulling on to the emergency area. Minutes later it died and had to be towed to the dealership. I found out there is a$800 million class action suit against BMW for this failure causing the engine to seize. I am negotiating with BMW to do the “right” thing and replace the engine. So far they are willing to pay 75% of the cost which I find unacceptable. It should be 100%. Has anyone else experienced this failure?
A new engine for 25% of the cost is a good deal. You already got 97,000 on the first engine. If you get another 97,000 on the second you will have driven almost 200,000 mi for 25% of the cost of a new engine. The cost to maintain your old engine for another 97K would probably be at least 25% of a new engine if not more. You can prolong the agony or accept what they are offering. Unlike the VW mess, BMW may well not offer anything more.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
While I understand your frustration and anger with the company, I agree with Weilhac that the offer is a good one. So often situations like this become clear with a legal pad and a calculator, you can get rid of the angst and move on. I am very glad that you were able to handle this horrific experience on the expressway safely. Really, that's the most important part, isn't it? You surely can ask them for a rental car while yours is being serviced.