Bluebird American Express denied fraud claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 23, 2019
Brief summary American Express Bluebird:
-Six fraud transactions in the amount of $2908 date 04/19/2019.
-Called American Express reporting fraud on 04/19/2019. Sent fraud form 5 days later. I claimed I did not authorize transactions and that transactions are unknown.
- Was Denied fraud claim on 05/03/2019 by email. Email stated transactions were authorized.
-Transactions listed are from China with an unknown merchant name totaling 2908.
-Called company explaining why dispute was denied and was told they could not give information over the phone and to send them a letter for an explanation.
-Sent letter on 05/03/2019 and haven't gotten a response
-I called AE about the letter and They said they received letter on 05/14/2019 and would send me an explanation soon. I haven't received one.
-On May 21, 2019 I receive a store credit from one of the merchants from China of $605.66
-May 21, 2019 I called them again to let them know about the store credit and they said they didn't know why I received credit if transactions were authorized.
-May 23, 2019 writing on Elliot.org for advice on what steps to take.

Michelle Couch-Friedman

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Sep 19, 2015
Jerry, We just published an article about another consumer who had a problem with fraudulent charges on her Bluebird card. Have you written to the address on your denial letter to ask American Express for its official explanation, yet? That is your next step. That request must be sent by regular mail.

My prepaid debit card was drained by a skimmer at the gas station!

May 23, 2019
Hi Michelle,
Thanks for your response. As mentioned in my summary, I mailed them a letter requesting the facts that were used to determine the denial of my claim on 05/03/2019. At first, their customer agents said they never received it. Afterwards, I asked to speak to a supervisor and she confirmed that it was received on May 14, 2019 and that the documents would be sent soon. I still haven't received them. Ironically, I got a store return credit of 605.66 on May 21, 2019. I don't even know this company and it is located in Guangzhou, China. Why would a company/merchant/person that committed fraud reimburse me the money? I have feeling that AE didn't investigate my claim.

May 23, 2019
I just received a letter from bluebird on how they determined the transactions were valid. The envelope included my declaration of fraud and copies of my bank statement with the transactions disputed being underlined. There is no explanation as to why they denied my claim. Do you know of any lawyers who work on contingency who can take my case. What do you suggest I do next? Thanks

May 23, 2019
I submitted a claim with the consumer financial protection bureau May 8 and they responded last week. The Bureau just forwarded the complaint to bluebird and Bluebird just responded by saying the same thing that transactions were authorized but no further explanation as to who this merchant is. I would have like the CFPB to have done more but I shouldn t have expected much from bureaucrats. I would like to call the merchant but there is no info. The CFPB suggested the FTC or BBB but I heard that is a dead end. Would emailing company contacts help?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did the CFPB close the case or are they still investigating?

If you have written to all of our company contacts as we advise- one at a time leaving a week in between letters- and aren’t getting anywhere you can complete a new help request and tell the advocates you have followed our steps and aren’t getting any help. If the advocates think they can help they will ask for all your correspondance.

Sep 12, 2018
I’m not sure this will help you, but I had a fraudulent charge on a Citibank card, and I was able to point out that the fraudulent charge was made in Philadelphia, and I had used the card an hour before in Ohio. Obviously, I told them, one of these is fraudulent, because it’s physically impossible for me to be in Ohio, and then be in Philadelphia an hour later. If these are online charges, that strategy obviously wouldn’t work, but it might be another tool in your kit.

May 23, 2019
Ironically the only one that didn't bounce was the one I sent to the CEO and it included an attachment. The other contacts did not work with or without an attachment. Weird.