Blame the victim seems to be the theme recently

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2016
This post is in response to today's newsletter in which the victim of 20 grand in lost luggage was mocked.
Mocked for the amount of her luggage.
This is a horrible thing and it hit very close to home for me.
and I will post a link to my cruise critic post about just how hurtful it is when people get their lifestyles attacked.
And say what you will...
it is an outright attack on the folks that buy high end merchandise.
There are 2 kinds of high end consumers...
the kind that has all the money in the world and can afford Vuitton luggage
[they NEVER go on sale,
and many pieces are 8 to 10 thousand for a large bag or trunk.
A golf bag is 13 grand..
and yes I have seen people pack with these on higher end lines like Disney or silver sea.
Then,
there are folks like me who love the high end stuff and do travel with it but have to bargain hunt for sales on it.
I also use lower end bags to pack normally because of my unique travel issues
[I own Tumi luggage but pack 40.00 duffel bags as they are the only ones that will fit in my car]
So you have an idea how a high end traveler packs and the costs involved....
i will give you a sample packing list with approximate costs for an 8 day cruise for a solo traveler.
[I have this as i just debarked from a cruise yesterday]
4 Victorias secret silk nightgowns value 480 my cost 100
8 victorias secret bikinis value 900 my cost 160
8 matching coverups all VS value 700 my cost 200
undies and such as bras are in the 50 buck range retail approx value 600 my cost 250
snorkel and mask medium end 100
sunglasses
2 dolce and Gabbana 1 ralph lauren 1 1 elie tahari value approx 900 my cost 350
sun readers
2 kate spade value 200 my cost 70
day sandals by mystique 200 each they do not go on sale
1 pair rhinestone fit flops 120 my cost 70
evening sandals
2 Dsquared value 1000 each my cost 200 each
1 pair Casadei value 750 my cost 125
dinner dresses
1 nannette lepore value 400 my cost 100
1 Badgley Mishka beaded value 1275 my cost 200
1 Haute hippie lace value 800 my cost 125
1 vivienne westwood value 800 my cost 150
1 cavalli corset dress value 600 my cost 125
1 milly dress value 500 my cost 85
day wear dresses
2 young broke and fabulous value 200 each so 400 my cost 100

'and i can go on and on as to the rest of it,...pareos...shorts ,tops, costume jewelry
[I mainly wear betsy johnson] evening bags, day bags by dooney [350] and also...make up...
which you very rarely get the high end brands like Chanel on sale...
the average cost of a travel makeup bag filled with high end cosmetics can go way over 1000 dollars if you carry extra shades of blush and lipstick.

I recently had my bag stolen on a cruise ship when i put it out for debarkation pick up.
I estimated the value at 10,000 and my cost at about 3,500 or so.
Just estimated...as I forgot many items I lost until I look for them.
I am not rich but I love collecting fancy things and that is what I wear.
I also wear Walmart and Wet seal cotton tanks that are 2 bucks each as the fabric is lovely.
they get packed right along the expensive stuff.

my point being is that according to the internet trolls...
we should all travel with only walmart wardrobes and payless shoes.
if we would not think of wearing payless shoes at home..
why should we do so when away?
This is not a holier than thou post denigrating those that do wear less expensive garments...
But, this is to show that the woman who lost 20 grand in luggage on a European vacation is not
being unreasonable nor a complete nut.
Notice nowhere am I including any fine jewelry or expensive electronic gadgets as those
are always carried by hand of course and not put in checked baggage.
and the packing list above....is missing a lot of my better stuff...
that was thrown overboard on a cruise ship in Feb.

and In many ways...getting attacked for your entire lifestyle is much worse than the actual loss of your luggage.

link to my story.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312764

and the update.....as I just got off the same ship yesterday....

the Chief engineer did buy me strawberries...lol..as I complained that I should have gotten some for my loss...
and the Chief security officer did find me and we had a long ...lovely chat.

But People...please realize that attacking someone for their travel choices..
whether it is to wear high end clothing or not hand carry all luggage is....very hurtful.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
This post is in response to today's newsletter in which the victim of 20 grand in lost luggage was mocked.
and I will post a link to my cruise critic post about just how hurtful it is when people get their lifestyles attacked.
And say what you will...
[they NEVER go on sale,
A golf bag is 13 grand..
and yes I have seen people pack with these on higher end lines like Disney or silver sea.
Then,
there are folks like me who love the high end stuff and do travel with it but have to bargain hunt for sales on it.
[I own Tumi luggage but pack 40.00 duffel bags as they are the only ones that will fit in my car]
i will give you a sample packing list with approximate costs for an 8 day cruise for a solo traveler.
undies and such as bras are in the 50 buck range retail approx value 600 my cost 250
sunglasses
sun readers
evening sandals
dinner dresses
day wear dresses

'and i can go on and on as to the rest of it,...pareos...shorts ,tops, costume jewelry
[I mainly wear betsy johnson] evening bags, day bags by dooney [350] and also...make up...
the average cost of a travel makeup bag filled with high end cosmetics can go way over 1000 dollars if you carry extra shades of blush and lipstick.

I recently had my bag stolen on a cruise ship when i put it out for debarkation pick up.
I also wear Walmart and Wet seal cotton tanks that are 2 bucks each as the fabric is lovely.

This is not a holier than thou post denigrating those that do wear less expensive garments...
But, this is to show that the woman who lost 20 grand in luggage on a European vacation is not
Notice nowhere am I including any fine jewelry or expensive electronic gadgets as those

and In many ways...getting attacked for your entire lifestyle is much worse than the actual loss of your luggage.

the Chief engineer did buy me strawberries...lol..as I complained that I should have gotten some for my loss...

whether it is to wear high end clothing or not hand carry all luggage is....very hurtful.
"Let he who is without sin throw the first stone" You have a lovely Sunday. And thank you for your so very thoughtful comments.

Apr 15, 2016
@debranator - while I agree that there are some victim-blamers hanging out around here, I disagree with your characterization of the article in question, and I don't believe that pointing out where things could have been done differently is "victim blaming." I used to travel for a living. I didn't have $20,000 worth of possessions to travel with, but I still bought insurance, for many reasons, not the least of which is that I don't trust the airlines/hotel/cruise line to reimburse me if something happens, and even if they do, it's not usually enough.

I once lived in an apartment where there was a leak in the bathroom of the apartment above. I came home after a weekend away to find that the ceiling of my closet had caved in and my clothes were soaked, stained, and not smelling all that good. Some were fine after a good cleaning, while others were unsalvageable. I learned my lesson about renter's insurance that day because while I felt the apartment complex should have taken all my receipts and replaced each item that was ruined, plus pay for the cleaning, they gave me $300. Fair? No. Should they have paid? Yes, because I had receipts and an itemized list of items I was claiming. Could I have sued them? Yes. But I was 24 years old and didn't yet understand how to advocate for myself (and there was no Christopher Elliott). So yes, the suggestion that she could have (and probably should have) purchased insurance was spot on. After all, you don't forgo car insurance, thinking a city will reimburse you if your car is stolen in their city limits, and you don't don't forgo home owner's insurance with the idea that the police department will reimburse you for stolen goods if the house is burglarized.

This isn't (or shouldn't be) about an indictment of a person's lifestyle, but it IS about taking common sense approaches to protecting yourself, especially when we know that businesses are doing everything they possibly can to protect themselves.

This brings me to the other point. The article in question was very clear to point out that she should be able to recover the amount, but given current state of business-consumer relations, she shouldn't count on a business rushing to reimburse $20, much less $20,000. Pointing out this is the case isn't saying it is right.

Apr 17, 2016
@debranator - while I agree that there are some victim-blamers hanging out around here, I disagree with your characterization of the article in question, and I don't believe that pointing out where things could have been done differently is "victim blaming." I used to travel for a living. I didn't have $20,000 worth of possessions to travel with, but I still bought insurance, for many reasons, not the least of which is that I don't trust the airlines/hotel/cruise line to reimburse me if something happens, and even if they do, it's not usually enough.

I once lived in an apartment where there was a leak in the bathroom of the apartment above. I came home after a weekend away to find that the ceiling of my closet had caved in and my clothes were soaked, stained, and not smelling all that good. Some were fine after a good cleaning, while others were unsalvageable. I learned my lesson about renter's insurance that day because while I felt the apartment complex should have taken all my receipts and replaced each item that was ruined, plus pay for the cleaning, they gave me $300. Fair? No. Should they have paid? Yes, because I had receipts and an itemized list of items I was claiming. Could I have sued them? Yes. But I was 24 years old and didn't yet understand how to advocate for myself (and there was no Christopher Elliott). So yes, the suggestion that she could have (and probably should have) purchased insurance was spot on. After all, you don't forgo car insurance, thinking a city will reimburse you if your car is stolen in their city limits, and you don't don't forgo home owner's insurance with the idea that the police department will reimburse you for stolen goods if the house is burglarized.

This isn't (or shouldn't be) about an indictment of a person's lifestyle, but it IS about taking common sense approaches to protecting yourself, especially when we know that businesses are doing everything they possibly can to protect themselves.

This brings me to the other point. The article in question was very clear to point out that she should be able to recover the amount, but given current state of business-consumer relations, she shouldn't count on a business rushing to reimburse $20, much less $20,000. Pointing out this is the case isn't saying it is right.
You are correct...
but,there are many caveats if you read my cruise critic thread.
you cannot get enough travel insurance for expensive clothing without paying more than you did for your trip in most cases.
And you are correct about having apt. insurance.
But, when you own a home...
it is not that easy as insurers will cancel you at the drop of a hat and if you have mortgage that can be a financial nightmare.
Most insurers will allow you 2 homeowners claims per 10 years and in some cases 7.
before dropping you like a hot rock,,and then,,no one else will take you.
So, if you have a home...making any claim under 25 grand might not be feasible and I would never again do it having learned the hard way.
you see....
if you make a smaller claim say 1000 or even 15 thousand in year 1.
and anytime thereafter depending on the policy...7 to 10 years..
you have a major disaster..fire....storm....ect and you lose the house..
then..you get dropped.
and your only option then..
is if you have a mortgage they force you to buy their insurance that only covers the remainder you owe the bank.
nothing else.
and they charge you thousands a year for this.
so you are paying thousands and have no coverage at all except for what the bank is owed.
so..
getting any kind of insurance for expensive luggage just does not pay.
and yes..of course she will get nothing or very little..
I was just offended that the wording made it laughable for her to even ask if she could.
as the title was "You must be kidding".

and this quote in particular made my hair stand on end...

But beyond that, who takes $20,000 worth of valuables on vacation? What kind of travel agent tells a customer that’s acceptable? I’m giving Melcher the benefit of the doubt; I’m assuming she didn’t advise this client to bring the valuables on this trip.

The reason?
It is NOT valuables like fine jewelry and such that were lost but in most cases just clothing and accessories that makes the value so high.
Most men who have high end wives would be amazed at the value of just their makeup and toiletries if lost.

and this quote:

These absurd adhesion contracts, with their take-it-or-leave it clauses that strip away your basic rights, are no good for customers. Even the ones who take $20,000 worth of valuables on vacation.

Especially them.

So, of course I realize that folks who pack expensive baggage will not get a dime out of these vacations with the horrible contracts we are forced to sign.
I just do not think that we should be mocked either.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
And say what you will...
[they NEVER go on sale,
A golf bag is 13 grand..
Then,
sunglasses
sun readers
evening sandals
dinner dresses
day wear dresses

Did you read my reply to this? I didn't blame the victim from traveling with expensive clothing. She should travel with as much as she wants. I am confused about your packing list- what does that mean that you have a different cost then the stated value? Could you clarify?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
You are correct...
but,there are many caveats if you read my cruise critic thread.
you cannot get enough travel insurance for expensive clothing without paying more than you did for your trip in most cases.
And you are correct about having apt. insurance.
But, when you own a home...
it is not that easy as insurers will cancel you at the drop of a hat and if you have mortgage that can be a financial nightmare.
Most insurers will allow you 2 homeowners claims per 10 years and in some cases 7.
before dropping you like a hot rock,,and then,,no one else will take you.
So, if you have a home...making any claim under 25 grand might not be feasible and I would never again do it having learned the hard way.
you see....
if you make a smaller claim say 1000 or even 15 thousand in year 1.
and anytime thereafter depending on the policy...7 to 10 years..
you have a major disaster..fire....storm....ect and you lose the house..
then..you get dropped.
and your only option then..
is if you have a mortgage they force you to buy their insurance that only covers the remainder you owe the bank.
nothing else.
and they charge you thousands a year for this.
so you are paying thousands and have no coverage at all except for what the bank is owed.
so..
getting any kind of insurance for expensive luggage just does not pay.
and yes..of course she will get nothing or very little..
I was just offended that the wording made it laughable for her to even ask if she could.
as the title was "You must be kidding".

and this quote in particular made my hair stand on end...

But beyond that, who takes $20,000 worth of valuables on vacation? What kind of travel agent tells a customer that’s acceptable? I’m giving Melcher the benefit of the doubt; I’m assuming she didn’t advise this client to bring the valuables on this trip.

The reason?
It is NOT valuables like fine jewelry and such that were lost but in most cases just clothing and accessories that makes the value so high.
Most men who have high end wives would be amazed at the value of just their makeup and toiletries if lost.

and this quote:

These absurd adhesion contracts, with their take-it-or-leave it clauses that strip away your basic rights, are no good for customers. Even the ones who take $20,000 worth of valuables on vacation.

Especially them.

So, of course I realize that folks who pack expensive baggage will not get a dime out of these vacations with the horrible contracts we are forced to sign.
I just do not think that we should be mocked either.
You do know this is not Cruise Critic ;)

Mar 17, 2015
Just one thing that many fail to realize. Once you own an item, it starts to depreciate. I recognize that some items do last longer than others, but you are almost never entitled to full replacement value, you are entitled to depreciated value, as you had some use of the item. So, even though you only paid $100 for a replacement cost of $420 item, does not entitle you to the $420. You are not harmed $420 worth, you were harmed $100 worth, less depreciation. In most instances, you are to be made whole, not enriched by the court process. That being said, travel with what you want to travel with and ignore people who say you shouldn't, just also protect yourself to the best of your ability and know what you are covered up to. If you know you only have coverage up to 5,000, then I personally, would probably try to not travel with any more than $5,000 worth of items. If I do choose to travel with more, then the risk falls to me, outside of there being gross negligence involved.

Apr 17, 2016
Did you read my reply to this? I didn't blame the victim from traveling with expensive clothing. She should travel with as much as she wants. I am confused about your packing list- what does that mean that you have a different cost then the stated value? Could you clarify?
yes..I am sorry.
that could be confusing.
As I have been attacked on other sites for the value of my clothing...
I now make it clear that I do not pay retail.
yes, it makes no sense as if I had to replace an item...to get the exact same item..I WOULD and have HAD to pay retail.
but, even getting all my items at discounts...the average value of me packing for an 8 day cruise all by myself is 10 grand.
which is what it would cost me to replace it at retail if I could.
So when someone says they had 20 grand worth of clothing for a longer vacation to a more formal setting with more than one traveler...
I find it not unusual at all.

Apr 17, 2016
Just one thing that many fail to realize. Once you own an item, it starts to depreciate. I recognize that some items do last longer than others, but you are almost never entitled to full replacement value, you are entitled to depreciated value, as you had some use of the item. So, even though you only paid $100 for a replacement cost of $420 item, does not entitle you to the $420. You are not harmed $420 worth, you were harmed $100 worth, less depreciation. In most instances, you are to be made whole, not enriched by the court process. That being said, travel with what you want to travel with and ignore people who say you shouldn't, just also protect yourself to the best of your ability and know what you are covered up to. If you know you only have coverage up to 5,000, then I personally, would probably try to not travel with any more than $5,000 worth of items. If I do choose to travel with more, then the risk falls to me, outside of there being gross negligence involved.
of course..which is why most people choose to insure with replacement value and why I specified RV.

Feb 9, 2016
idk....I just went to Greece for 6 days. The only thing I wore over was my watch. I have expensive jewelry and items, that I do use daily, but I purposefully left behind my jewelry and expensive purse because I love my things, wanted to be sure I kept them, and I didn't want to become a target. I wont give the readers a detailed list of what these items are because to do that feels a little gauche to me.

I guess it's a situation of 'to each their own'. In every traveling situation, heck, in daily life, I always realize that what I leave the house with that morning, might not make it back with me that night. My perspective is that, it's always a choice and I am always the one responsible for the choice.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2015
New York
My advice is to use your Tumi carry on which could fit all of that. If I do check bags and bring an expensive purse for ex, I carry it on with me stuffed in a larger purse with a dust cover or use it as my wallet with my shoulder bag and rolly bag that goes in the overhead bin. If I check my bag I will probably stick a couple pairs of nicer shoes in carry on as well along with a change of clothes. Bottom line, there is nothing checked that I couldn't stand to lose. Also, the second you drive a car off the lot it is worth 50% less so our valuation of a personal belongings is off always. As @sas80 said perfectly, wear your watch and jewelry, anything more obviously bring in your purse but be aware that this jewelry will be in a hotel safe if you don't wear it and if you are not comfortable with that, then leave them at home.

Feb 9, 2016
of course..which is why most people choose to insure with replacement value and why I specified RV.
OP, I just scanned your post on cruise critic. Why not prosecute the two men? You have it on tape that they took your bag, the cruiseline will back up your story. Sure, you may have been in international waters, but there ARE police that will handle the situation.

Also, why did your next door neighbors target you on the ship? Why would they take your bag and throw it over? Why would they leave the smokes in a container ad toss everything in the bag? Also, the ship has cameras EVERYWHERE. Knowing the date and time that these people supposedly tossed your belongings into the sea, did the ship review their video to verify this? If there is no video that high up there is most certainly video of the sides of the ship and they would see your items falling into the sea.

I say this because I was on a cruise where a young man was drunk and fell overboard. We didn't leave St Thomas until they reviewed all the video from the ship to figure out where he had gone off to.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2016
idk....I just went to Greece for 6 days. The only thing I wore over was my watch. I have expensive jewelry and items, that I do use daily, but I purposefully left behind my jewelry and expensive purse because I love my things, wanted to be sure I kept them, and I didn't want to become a target. I wont give the readers a detailed list of what these items are because to do that feels a little gauche to me.

I guess it's a situation of 'to each their own'. In every traveling situation, heck, in daily life, I always realize that what I leave the house with that morning, might not make it back with me that night. My perspective is that, it's always a choice and I am always the one responsible for the choice.

Exactly. If I were carrying a Birkin bag down the street and a purse snatcher grabbed it and ran away with it, who would pay? If I haven't bothered to insure it, I would be out a Birkin bag. (To be clear, however, I don't own a Birkin bag or anything like it.)

Feb 9, 2016
Exactly. If I were carrying a Birkin bag down the street and a purse snatcher grabbed it and ran away with it, who would pay? If I haven't bothered to insure it, I would be out a Birkin bag. (To be clear, however, I don't own a Birkin bag or anything like it.)
When I was married, I actually made it a habit to leave my wedding ring at home when I went on cruises. It never made sense to me to wear it in countries where people have considerably 'less than' then the US, and leaving it behind in the stateroom, even if it was in the safe, never felt totally safe to me. Not to mention the number of people who do have access to your stateroom when you are not in it. The attendant may have already come for the day so you leave your items out, thinking no one will be coming in, but you just never really know. Better to be safe than sorry.

Apr 17, 2016
OP, I just scanned your post on cruise critic. Why not prosecute the two men? You have it on tape that they took your bag, the cruiseline will back up your story. Sure, you may have been in international waters, but there ARE police that will handle the situation.

Also, why did your next door neighbors target you on the ship? Why would they take your bag and throw it over? Why would they leave the smokes in a container ad toss everything in the bag? Also, the ship has cameras EVERYWHERE. Knowing the date and time that these people supposedly tossed your belongings into the sea, did the ship review their video to verify this? If there is no video that high up there is most certainly video of the sides of the ship and they would see your items falling into the sea.

I say this because I was on a cruise where a young man was drunk and fell overboard. We didn't leave St Thomas until they reviewed all the video from the ship to figure out where he had gone off to.
Ok//point by point.
I was NOT targeted.
That is the funny part...they did not target me.
I just happened to be the bag closest to the elevator.
I spent quite a while talking to the lovely head of security during last week so now I even have answers to the rest of the questions.
why they tossed it over?
no one knows that.
they had no brains and thought they wouldn't get caught?
one can only guess what stupidity lurks in their minds,.
Why keep the cigs?
because it was the only items that they found to not be worthless garbage in their minds and they figured they could get it in the morning I guess?
we can only guess at their motives.
As to arresting them?
only today did I open a note from the authorities which told me they did not have neough evidence to prosecute/
why?
you would have to ask them.
as you would also have to ask the crooks why they threw it overboard..
I cannot answer for what goes on in the minds of others.,
as for cameras..
I was told that I was lucky they even caught the theft on tape as there are not that many cameras on the older ships.
The NCL spirit has very few of them even in hallways..
almost none of the top decks...and the ones they do have on the open decks..do not have night vision.
It is an old ship.
and I hate to bring this up..
but..your questions do have the tinge of a personal attack as you are questioning elements

of my story like why the idiots tossed my bag overboard.
How in heck would I know that???
and you say that there ARE police that will handle this?

wonderful!
where are they and how do I find them?

Also..how would I know why they targeted me?
if was not for my expensive wardrobe as they thought it was worthless

now...as to what I did find out last week:
I found out that if I stated the value of the items as 10 thousand dollars and not 8 thousand as I first thought...before recalling other contents....
they would have been forced to call in the FBI and they WOULD have been arrested.
but..they told me that is why they kept encouraging me to recall the other items...and that they could not mention to me the reasons for that.
and also...as the inside of the ship in the common areas..not the hallways has much better camera coverage..
they told me about 2 other onboard crooks they caught last week.
but as those crooks did not dispose of the stolen items they were able to force them to return them.
one stole a purse from a shop clerk....he was a 40 year old father with a baby and hid it in the carriage.
the other was a 62 y/o woman who picked up someones forgotten purse and removed the cash.
THEN..,she turned it in.

Apr 17, 2016
of course.
But if they only bags you owned were Birkins....
what would you carry?
Unfortunately those are another brand that never discounts...
so,,I have none also.
But, I did lose 2 Kate Spades, 6 coach cosmetics, and my Disney Dooney beach tote.
But, none of this is the point.
I DO realize that nothing can be done.
SHE did not.
and that is not a reason to make fun of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.