Billing error with JW Marriott--Desert Ridge (AZ)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 19, 2018
Although I prefer to contact hotels with positive feedback, there are times when I need to seek clarification on a situation.

I had booked a one night stay for the JW Desert Ridge ( for November 17th). It was for my wife's birthday. The rate was $313 without any additional resort credit. Prior to checking in, I checked the main Marriott website that morning to see if there was a more competitive rate. I came across a $189 rate that included a $50 Resort credit.

I then proceeded to call 1-800 399-4229 number at 6:52 am (MST) from 970 317-3436. The call lasted 3 minutes and 40 seconds. I can verify that call through my phone log.

When I spoke to the agent at 6:52am, she found a lower rate: $169 with the $50 resort credit. I asked her if she could make a change for the reservation and she said that she could and that she did indeed make the change.

When I checked into the hotel I brought up the $50 Resort credit and the front desk representative acknowledged it and told me how and where I can use the $50 Resort credit (neither at Roy's Restaurant nor the gift shop). However, when I checked out , I was billed the higher rate $(313) and the $50 Resort credit was not applied to my bill. This was confusing for me so I called customer service.

I was on the phone yesterday, November 18th, for over 40 minutes with customer service trying to reconcile this error. It still has not been resolved.

I'm a lifetime Platinum member. I have had loyalty to Marriott and I am not one to quibble over small incidents. I have probably contacted Marriott Customer Service less than 5 times in my 20+ year relationship with Marriott. I can verify under oath that I called to make a reservation modification and that the agent verbally told me that my reservation was updated to reflect the new rate.

Neither the front desk representative who checked me out today nor the supervisor on the customer service line acknowledged this mistake. Indeed, the supervisor with whom I spoke on the phone stated that my call never existed/took place. In essence, he called me a liar. I expect better customer service from Marriott and I would like this resolved.

I think it should be easy for Marriott to:

1. Verify that their 1.800.399.4229 reservations number received a call from me at 6:52am (MST) on November 17. They should be able to review that transcript, if it is record.

2. Speak to the Front Desk agent at the JW Marriott who checked me in and acknowledged the $50 resort credit. That should imply that the $50 credit was a part of my reservation rate. Again, that credit was only part of the amended reservation, not the original one.

3. Address how I know about how/where the $50 credit can be used if the front desk representative didn't explain it to me.

4. Review Marriott complaint logs to see that I have rarely (less than 5x in 20+ years) provided constructive feedback on a Marriott property. I'm not trying to game the system.

I've stayed at this property on several different occasions and i find it to be one of the more well-appointed JW Marriotts. Indeed, I look forward to staying at this property whenever I'm in the Phoenix area. However, I expect Marriott to acknowledge and honor rate agreements that are made through the main 1-800 number.

The customer service supervisor offered me 5,000 points to resolve this issue. I do not find that to be an appropriate resolution. I would like to be charged for the rate that the agent shared with me over the phone ($169) plus the $50 resort credit. I would even pay the $189 rate plus the $50 resort credit since I personally saw that rate on the Marriott website. I didn't see the $169 + $50 credit rate so that seems like a fair compromise. I'm simply asking Marriott to honor what their agent told me what I would be charged. That's it.

The GM's executive assistant's name is Connie Ogden and her e-mail address is connie.ogden@marriott.com. The hotel would not provide me with the GM's e-mail address, so I e-mailed Ms. Ogden yesterday (November 18). I have yet to receive a response--even a receipt/acknowledgement of my e-mail. I also didn't receive an out-of-office reply so I'm assuming that she is in the office today. I would expect a response/acknowledgement from a 4-start property like this one.

I am an avid reader of Mr. Elliott's column and I hope his team can assist me with this situation.

Sincere thanks.

Nov 19, 2018
Thanks. It was not a non-refundable rate nor a non-changeable rate so it seems like they would work with me on this request. Unfortunately, I'm not getting anywhere with the general customer service number nor with the hotel directly. I had shared the above posting with both customer service and the hotel. I hope it came across as non-accusatory. That was my intent. This seems like a simple solution so I'm confused by their (seemingly) unwillingness to correct this situation.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thanks. It was not a non-refundable rate nor a non-changeable rate so it seems like they would work with me on this request. Unfortunately, I'm not getting anywhere with the general customer service number nor with the hotel directly. I had shared the above posting with both customer service and the hotel. I hope it came across as non-accusatory. That was my intent. This seems like a simple solution so I'm confused by their (seemingly) unwillingness to correct this situation.
Move up the cust serv chain starting with email to the first level, escalating weekly if no/negative response. Don't call anymore -you have already gotten the "he said, she said" catch-22. Calling them will only raise your frustration level.

I am also surprised by Marriott's non-helpful stance so far. They try very hard to make their loyal guests happy. It may take a few weeks but they will likely make you satisfied too.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Good work indeed, Andy. You laid out your case very well, it was easy to read it once and understand what happened. Sometimes with "this stuff" you just never know why a simple situation becomes a complex mess, so we always advice patience, persistence and politeness.

And for the record, ALWAYS confirm your rate at checkin and review your final invoice as you check out. Don't agree to have it emailed. You probably could have solved this issue in ten minutes at the front desk. This is one of the most valuable lessons I've learned from my years on this forum. My colleagues are right, the big chains love us loyalty guys and they strive to treat us pretty well.