Beware of Martin Przepriorski

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2019
I was given three wonderful trips to various countries in Africa over a three year period by this man from Poland who does tour guiding in Africa after breaking away from a Polish travel agency to offer better prices and more variety on his own. I had fantastic trips to remote villages of Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Kenya and more, going to some places where no American had ever been. We became what seemed to be closest of friends. Then I paid him over $5,000 for another great trip to Madagascar, Egypt and Algeria. He vanished with all of my money, never to heard from again. He lives in Mozambique. He has done this to other tourists as well. This is what is called grooming scamming - becoming close and trusting and then making the big scam.

Mar 9, 2019
No wired cash unfortunately. I have saved a fortune using Facebook friends to drive my around for little more than cost of gas, staying in homes, $5-10 a night hostels, etc. A whole month in Africa for under $3,000. Seven weeks doing Sri Lanka, India, Vietnam and Korea for $5,000 (maybe more because of ticket dispute) but in the long run travel agencies charge a fortune more and considering the high amount of international travel I do, well worth using individual contacts. Bad stuff has very rarely happened - you have only heard the 5-10% bad though forgot to mention having an AK-47 machine gun pointed at me at the Mozambique border by corrupt police to tell me my $60 visa now costs $400! Lol!

Mar 9, 2019
$5,000 to Martin P. Several others have since been scammed by him and I think at some point something very bad is going to happen to him though I don't care to get tangled up in the very risky aspects of revenge but I think someone will.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We can’t offer any advise if you insist on booking your own travel except that you need to do searches and read all you can about any supplier you are comsidering.

When you book your one travel you act as your own travel agent and need to know all the airline rules and who you are giving your money to. You should never wire money to a supplier.

You are giving the readers here a learning experience, that’s for sure.

Mar 9, 2019
I go to the most remote places I can find. It is not easy to find travel agents for such places sometimes. My next plan is for Pau Pau New Guinea going into villages that have NEVER seen anyone from the outside world. I and a friend will go together. The difficult part is trust. Guides sometimes want cash up front to assure we really are coming and maybe need some cash to book places, short flights, etc. in advance but we are reluctant to send cash ahead of time because there is always that chance of us arriving after paying and having nobody show up in such places. This is not easy but being the first explorers in human history to reach such places will be incredible.

Apr 27, 2018
I go to the most remote places I can find. It is not easy to find travel agents for such places sometimes. My next plan is for Pau Pau New Guinea going into villages that have NEVER seen anyone from the outside world. I and a friend will go together. The difficult part is trust. Guides sometimes want cash up front to assure we really are coming and maybe need some cash to book places, short flights, etc. in advance but we are reluctant to send cash ahead of time because there is always that chance of us arriving after paying and having nobody show up in such places. This is not easy but being the first explorers in human history to reach such places will be incredible.
I rarely write on here but I needed to reply to this one. The arrogance to think that remote populations want to see you. People in remote villages do not have immunity to illnesses that western people have and you could wipe them out. Also you could be damaging the environment as well. I believe in sticking to well worn paths.

Mar 15, 2018
I rarely write on here but I needed to reply to this one. The arrogance to think that remote populations want to see you. People in remote villages do not have immunity to illnesses that western people have and you could wipe them out. Also you could be damaging the environment as well. I believe in sticking to well worn paths.
Thank you for saying this. I had the exact same thoughts when I read this. It brought to mind the recent case of an American missionary killed on a remote island by the most isolated tribe in the world. Not only was he putting himself in danger (obviously), but he was putting the tribe in danger due to Western illnesses. Not to mention the potential ramifications of exposing such an isolated population to Western culture. And all to...what...convert them to a religion they'd never heard of and have no use for? This kind of "tourism" should be prohibited...and in fact it WAS for that island. He broke the law by going there.

Hey, I too am constantly seeking out "authentic" travel, avoiding tourist traps and looking for destinations that are off the beaten path. But I don't go where I'm not welcome, or worse, where my presence would be a danger to the population.

To the OP: Please reconsider going to any village that has, as you say, "NEVER seen anyone from the outside world". If you are doing this for fun...your "fun" can kill people. If you are doing this for proselytizing, please don't. Find safer places to spread your message, where the message won't potentially kill people. If you're just looking for a thrill (which your comment about "being the first explorers in human history" would seem to indicate - is your thrill worth the lives of innocent people? Unless you are a trained, highly educated archaeologist or scientist on a professionally-organized scientific expedition (which clearly you're not, given your described method of travel), you have no business going to these places. You're not an "explorer", you're an "intruder" into people's homes who didn't invite you.

Apr 27, 2018
Thank you for saying this. I had the exact same thoughts when I read this. It brought to mind the recent case of an American missionary killed on a remote island by the most isolated tribe in the world. Not only was he putting himself in danger (obviously), but he was putting the tribe in danger due to Western illnesses. Not to mention the potential ramifications of exposing such an isolated population to Western culture. And all to...what...convert them to a religion they'd never heard of and have no use for? This kind of "tourism" should be prohibited...and in fact it WAS for that island. He broke the law by going there.

Hey, I too am constantly seeking out "authentic" travel, avoiding tourist traps and looking for destinations that are off the beaten path. But I don't go where I'm not welcome, or worse, where my presence would be a danger to the population.

To the OP: Please reconsider going to any village that has, as you say, "NEVER seen anyone from the outside world". If you are doing this for fun...your "fun" can kill people. If you are doing this for proselytizing, please don't. Find safer places to spread your message, where the message won't potentially kill people. If you're just looking for a thrill (which your comment about "being the first explorers in human history" would seem to indicate - is your thrill worth the lives of innocent people? Unless you are a trained, highly educated archaeologist or scientist on a professionally-organized scientific expedition (which clearly you're not, given your described method of travel), you have no business going to these places. You're not an "explorer", you're an "intruder" into people's homes who didn't invite you.
Makes you wonder what the OP is looking for when he travels. Seems like he is looking for more then fun and adventure. By all means, as long as it is safe, get out and explore a town and if there are parks near where you are going, go visit. However, being a responsible tourist means disturbing as little as possible, this means not going places where you could harm people or an ecosystem ie not feeding the wildlife and staying on well worn paths. Don't be an ugly American (or western) tourist.

Sep 19, 2015
I sat next to a guy from PNG on a flight a few years ago and we talked for at least an hour about PNG.

Basically I have to echo what others say. The remote tribes have no interest in others and it is very egotistical to think that for them meeting an American will somehow enrich their lives. There is no immunity to diseases such as the flu which can kill. Some tribes want to be left alone and that should be respected.

Sep 19, 2015
Now for the Martin P — Facebook friends are not true friends. He may be a true scammer or he could be dead or in jail. Or he could have just been a lousy businessman who was juggling money.

The risk in sending cash is very great. Did he have an actual company?

Mar 9, 2019
I have been to many very remote places and tribes around the world from Africa to India and beyond and ALL have welcomed me greatly! I had a school with a full band waiting for me in India recently. This is not about getting an ego boost. It is about creating photography shows that are very unique and therefore, more valuable and appealing to my audiences. As for diseases I think this is largely hogwash. Sure this happened far in the past to the Incas and others but now I am far more concerned about dealing with malaria and other tropical diseases myself than the insignificant chance of me passing something to them. Most tour guides demand some cash in advance so they can reserve hotels, etc. so someone tell me how to arrive in a foreign country with a tour guide waiting without having paid him/her anything?

Sep 19, 2015
I have been to many very remote places and tribes around the world from Africa to India and beyond and ALL have welcomed me greatly! I had a school with a full band waiting for me in India recently. This is not about getting an ego boost. It is about creating photography shows that are very unique and therefore, more valuable and appealing to my audiences. As for diseases I think this is largely hogwash. Sure this happened far in the past to the Incas and others but now I am far more concerned about dealing with malaria and other tropical diseases myself than the insignificant chance of me passing something to them. Most tour guides demand some cash in advance so they can reserve hotels, etc. so someone tell me how to arrive in a foreign country with a tour guide waiting without having paid him/her anything?

The threat of disease is hogwash? Ayoreo tribe deaths in Paraguay equals hogwash? Measles oputbreak in Yanomami (2018) is hogwash? So you know better than Marcus J. Hamilton, who is biologist/Anthropologist with a PhD who has published on this issue looking at the 20th Century?

No offense, but a self published book does not lend the same credibility as a proper researcher. One of my clients is an MD/PhD with a specialty on infectious diseases and public health, and I have spoken with him at length about travel and disease as he was active with the SARS epidemic.

"More valuable and appealing to my audiences" -- so this is purely for commercial purposes?

Sep 19, 2015
I have no interest in spreading any diseases and would not travel if I had the flu or significant cold. I can tell I am only dealing with defiant people who wish to fight as the democrats and republicans do. I am done with responding to this thread and request the administrator to delete it.
Yes this thread has gotten off track.. Now back to the original issue of Martin P. Is this someone that had an actual company? Was he part of any agency or group? Or was he freelance/solo?

I understand the issue of small places and no credit cards -- I did a wire transfer to reserve a place once, but it was only one night and not a lot of money-- is there a way to pay a small deposit and the rest later upon arrival? I am very wary with wire transfers, as once the money is gone, there is almost no way to get it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.