Best Buy - faulty gas range installation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 13, 2018
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on how to deal with Best Buy on resolving a leaking gas hookup to a new range I purchased.

The range was installed Thursday, 9/6, and we used it that evening and all seemed well before we left Friday morning for a weekend vacation. When we got home on Sunday evening, we could smell gas in our condo. I closed the shut-off valve behind the oven, which stopped the leak and called Best Buy customer service. I was advised to leave a voicemail with the warehouse, which I did, and to also try calling the warehouse when they opened Monday morning.

Lo and behold, it's now midday Thursday and I'm waiting for a technician to (maybe?) come this afternoon. In the meantime, I've dealt with Best Buy's "escalation team", XPO customer service (the third party that manages installation and service, and store management where I purchased the range. I've been told by all of the above that they take gas leaks very seriously, and yet here we are four and a half days after I first reported the issue and it's not fixed.

The store manager, when promising to get a tech scheduled, said I'd be compensated for the inconvenience. Had this been corrected on Monday, I would have been happy with a refund of my $20 installation fee- but at this point, how much should I reasonably expect? Note I've also had to stay home from work twice this week, including for a service appointment on Tuesday morning that was never fulfilled.

Thanks- looking for any advice on how to ask and what to ask for as far as compensation. I'm not looking to score off of this but feel it's justified due to the significant inconvenience.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I think you should reach out to our company contacts for Best Buy. On the main company contacts page, please read about how to write to them - waiting at least a week in between correspondence, don't send to all at once, etc. - and then locate the contacts for Best Buy. Start with the lowest level contact and make your way up the ladder if no response or not the desired response. Make sure you are clear with them in what you are looking for as compensation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The compensation should be they fix it properly so your house is safe. I wouldn't expect any extra compensation. But since the manager said you would be compensated - you should ask him what that means. By all means, you should have any fee you paid for the installation refunded. But ask him what he meant.

Did they tell you that you needed to be home two days? Unless they gave you a definite date they were coming - there was really no reason to take off from work but they most certainly should have been more reactive.

Have you called the Corporate offices using the phone numbers we have? I would do that and escalate it - it isn't acceptable that this is taking so long for a gas leak. You are lucky the house didn't explode while you were gone.

Sep 13, 2018
I think you should reach out to our company contacts for Best Buy. On the main company contacts page, please read about how to write to them - waiting at least a week in between correspondence, don't send to all at once, etc. - and then locate the contacts for Best Buy. Start with the lowest level contact and make your way up the ladder if no response or not the desired response. Make sure you are clear with them in what you are looking for as compensation.
Thank you, Carrie. I certainly intend to follow up with these contacts. To be fair, the Best Buy staff I've spoken to on the customer service line, the escalation team rep, and the store employees and manager have all shown genuine concern but it seems like they're essentially powerless to get a technician out here in a reasonable timeframe.

Sep 13, 2018
The compensation should be they fix it properly so your house is safe. I wouldn't expect any extra compensation. But since the manager said you would be compensated - you should ask him what that means. By all means, you should have any fee you paid for the installation refunded. But ask him what he meant.

Did they tell you that you needed to be home two days? Unless they gave you a definite date they were coming - there was really no reason to take off from work but they most certainly should have been more reactive.

Have you called the Corporate offices using the phone numbers we have? I would do that and escalate it - it isn't acceptable that this is taking so long for a gas leak. You are lucky the house didn't explode while you were gone.
Hi Neil, thanks for the response. In trying to be brief I left out that an appointment was scheduled for Tuesday between 8am and noon, and that window came and went with no one showing up. I followed up with XPO, and the rep there said there were issues with the notes on the account that probably affected the technician's understanding of what was needed. A technician called me yesterday afternoon and said he would try to come last night or by noon today. When he finished his other jobs yesterday, he was too far away, so he said he'd be here today by noon. I contacted him earlier today and supposedly he's coming this afternoon. So yes, based on the confirmed, scheduled appointment on Tuesday that fell through and today's (which is nearly two hours late as of this moment), I did need to be home from work.

Also, yes to contacting the corporate offices. I've been working with someone on their escalation team, who as I told Carrie has seemed genuinely concerned but hasn't been able to move this forward.

Thanks again for your response. Hoping we can make dinner tonight on our very expensive and beautiful paperweight.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Then I would tell them that - it doesn’t hurt to ask. The worse they can say is no, the best is they do something for you.

And use our company contacts to go higher up in the company. This isn’t a minor issue - liability they could face is the had an explosion Is serious.

Mar 17, 2015
If you shop at Best Buy frequently and you are not completely turned off by this, ask for a store credit, I think in the range of $200 should be adequate compensation, plus the refund of the install fee. I think getting them to give you a store credit will be an easier decision to do right by you. I hate having to take off work and then a service person not showing up. They should understand, time is money.

And by the way, I want to live somewhere where there is only a $20 install fee! Around here, the installation costs are beginning to rival the small appliance costs, that is if you can even find someone to do it!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'd be inclined to ask for the price of a very nice dinner in a local restaurant as compensation for having to worry about this leaking appliance far too long. I hope by the time you're reading this, it's all fixed.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Considering the horrendous disaster in Lawrence this morning, I think BB needs to get someone out to your house NOW. Are you in Massachusetts by any chance?