Best Buy and their return policy The Retail Equation (TRE)

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 17, 2019
Major iossues with this TRE also know as The Retail Equation. I have posted on a few sites about this. I think it is unfair to consumers who are HONEST and have RECEIPTS. I'm also an Elite menber with Beat Buy. Below is a letter I sent to their corp headquarters. i also posted on YELP and Twitter.

Hello Trish,

I'm reaching out to you in reference to my experience at your Brandon, Florida store. I recently went to do a return and was denied. I’m now on “YOUR” black list for returns. I reached out to TRE and was sent my report.Then i signed onto my BB account so i could try to match these up. Please find it attached. I have MAJOR issues with this report.

First- in 2016 i purchased my Samsung TV. Had issues with it. Samsung came out 3 times for repair. Deemed it as a return. So, it was counted against me. Then my micro wave that i paid to have you guys install. The installer could NOT install it, but dented the side and told me to call someone who could install it. So, I returned the install and they gave me credit for that.
Then i purchased an Apple watch one, liked it then exchanged it for an Apple watch two.

2017- tivo bolt. Purchased it, same as the Tv. was defective. you guys had to order a new one and install it. Once again, not my fault.

Then we go on to last year with my MACBOOK computers which was a CLUSTER!!!! I go by what you store personal tells me what to do. My older MacBook was in for repair. They told me it was time for a new one. So here we go… I purchased one they recommended. when i got home to set it up there was NOT enough RAM. So, back to BB i go. They did a special order and ordered the wrong one. Then finally got it right. By the time they were done with the receipt (on all my items) i had a flipping phone phonebook of receipts and hard to decipher. As they added and took away warranties, and install. So confusing.

Then we get to the present.. YOUR Geek squad came to my home to access it for a smart home and a mesh system. I then go out and purchase an eeco, ring pro doorbell, wemo and a garage Q opener. The guy gets here the next week to install. Said it was overkill for my home. He said i just need the google mesh , which he had on the truck and i could purchase it from him and take the other one back.So i did and he installed it. also told me to to with the ring two doorbell because it would not use the battery if hardwired. As far as the garage door thing, he said it would not work. So, back to BB i go to return theses items and get other ones. AFTER i returned them i had to go back a THIRD time an re purchase the original order. As the ring pro was what i did need. and the garage door would work.

YOU guys need to get your employees on board with education and products and NOT just a sale. you also need to do returns/exchanges correctly. this is NOT my fault, it’s being mis informed by your staff. I now feel like a criminal at your store and will NEVER purchase from there again. I will not stay with Amazon.

The reason I'm reaching out to you is for HELP. and to try to correct your system. Your RM Jay James was not help at all. never called me, but sent me a generic e-mail.

I’m reaching out on social media, BBB, and trying to get an attorney involved because this is just wrong of your store. You guys write the rules for TRE but do not return things correctly and misinform people. I read your return policy from front to back. No where in their states this TRE policy.

Please contact me.

Best regards,

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Major iossues with this TRE also know as The Retail Equation. I have posted on a few sites about this. I think it is unfair to consumers who are HONEST and have RECEIPTS. I'm also an Elite menber with Beat Buy. Below is a letter I sent to their corp headquarters. i also posted on YELP and Twitter.

Hello Trish,

I'm reaching out to you in reference to my experience at your Brandon, Florida store. I recently went to do a return and was denied. I’m now on “YOUR” black list for returns. I reached out to TRE and was sent my report.Then i signed onto my BB account so i could try to match these up. Please find it attached. I have MAJOR issues with this report.

First- in 2016 i purchased my Samsung TV. Had issues with it. Samsung came out 3 times for repair. Deemed it as a return. So, it was counted against me. Then my micro wave that i paid to have you guys install. The installer could NOT install it, but dented the side and told me to call someone who could install it. So, I returned the install and they gave me credit for that.
Then i purchased an Apple watch one, liked it then exchanged it for an Apple watch two.

2017- tivo bolt. Purchased it, same as the Tv. was defective. you guys had to order a new one and install it. Once again, not my fault.

Then we go on to last year with my MACBOOK computers which was a CLUSTER!!!! I go by what you store personal tells me what to do. My older MacBook was in for repair. They told me it was time for a new one. So here we go… I purchased one they recommended. when i got home to set it up there was NOT enough RAM. So, back to BB i go. They did a special order and ordered the wrong one. Then finally got it right. By the time they were done with the receipt (on all my items) i had a flipping phone phonebook of receipts and hard to decipher. As they added and took away warranties, and install. So confusing.

Then we get to the present.. YOUR Geek squad came to my home to access it for a smart home and a mesh system. I then go out and purchase an eeco, ring pro doorbell, wemo and a garage Q opener. The guy gets here the next week to install. Said it was overkill for my home. He said i just need the google mesh , which he had on the truck and i could purchase it from him and take the other one back.So i did and he installed it. also told me to to with the ring two doorbell because it would not use the battery if hardwired. As far as the garage door thing, he said it would not work. So, back to BB i go to return theses items and get other ones. AFTER i returned them i had to go back a THIRD time an re purchase the original order. As the ring pro was what i did need. and the garage door would work.

YOU guys need to get your employees on board with education and products and NOT just a sale. you also need to do returns/exchanges correctly. this is NOT my fault, it’s being mis informed by your staff. I now feel like a criminal at your store and will NEVER purchase from there again. I will not stay with Amazon.

The reason I'm reaching out to you is for HELP. and to try to correct your system. Your RM Jay James was not help at all. never called me, but sent me a generic e-mail.

I’m reaching out on social media, BBB, and trying to get an attorney involved because this is just wrong of your store. You guys write the rules for TRE but do not return things correctly and misinform people. I read your return policy from front to back. No where in their states this TRE policy.

Please contact me.

Best regards,
Having mentioned that you are getting an attorney guarantees that they will not deal with you. I hope you did not actually send this letter. If so, you have to wait and see what will happen, which is probably nothing.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
https://www.elliott.org/answers/how-to-fix-your-own-consumer-problem/

Jan 6, 2015
The goal of every appeal is to win someone over our side; to have them rule in our favor. Two results we do not want are to be ignored or rejected. Whenever we insert inflammatory language into an appeal we incur the risk of both happening . . .

Jan 6, 2015
I found the following information that may be helpful:

According to the TRE website, "Returns are accepted or denied based on violations of posted retailer return polices, excessive returns, or potential fraud and abuse patterns in your return behavior". Based upon your post, I suspected the cause was "excessive returns", even though they all seem reasonable. They show a phone number of 888-224-1920.

Then I located this Reddit article which says: "The rep told me that most customers have a purchase to return rate of 5-15%. Once a person exceeds that rate, they may receive a warning upon making a return." That mirrors what the TRE says, and what I read from your post.

That poster recommends calling 866-764-6979 . . .

Mar 17, 2019
Having mentioned that you are getting an attorney guarantees that they will not deal with you. I hope you did not actually send this letter. If so, you have to wait and see what will happen, which is probably nothing.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
https://www.elliott.org/answers/how-to-fix-your-own-consumer-problem/
Unfortunately I did send this letter. I’m feel extremely humiliated by BB. I guess I should have calmed down before I pressed the send button. Ugh!

Sep 19, 2015
I am self employed as a small business person and have to compete against large corporations in a service industry -- so I understand the frustration and what one is up against -- but I think the strategy is destined for failure.

First of all, Chris Elliott and staff have written about the retail equation

https://www.elliott.org/case-dismis...-protects-merchants-against-serial-returners/

I realize you are angry and it is understandable. However your email does not just shoot yourself in the foot, but in the head several times over.

If you say that you are never going to come back to the business again why would the business make things right? See the below:

So you will never buy from Best But again but you will not stay with Amazon, What does Amazon have to do with this issue?

And also

I’m reaching out on social media, BBB, and trying to get an attorney involved because this is just wrong of your store. You guys write the rules for TRE but do not return things correctly and misinform people.

Well get an attorney involved and no one will answer you -- that is normal corporate behavior -- threaten an attorney and the company waits for an attorney.

The BBB is not a credible threat. All they do is forward the complaint and also make a rating -- of course a company business can be an accredited BBB member (ie pay) and have a good rating.

And the social media threat? Most companies will assess the potential negative publicity -- this is not a civil rights issue, no one died, the social media issue will disappear and be replaced by another.

The truth is most people glaze over the latest social media issue unless it so egregious that it violates human decency -- which means civil rights, death, health etc. There is too much information out there. And most of the middle class of the USA is working hard just to maintain a standard of living.

Now I do care as one of the small business/middle class people, so I get the outrage. But if one wants a positive resolution one has to be strategic.

I have had to moderate my outrage and be realistic. Some may think I am negative, but I am grounded in reality of the economic climate that we live in.

Take a step back, and think about composing a letter than will get the resolution that you desire. It is not selling out, it is being practical and realistic.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am self employed as a small business person and have to compete against large corporations in a service industry -- so I understand the frustration and what one is up against -- but I think the strategy is destined for failure.

https://www.elliott.org/case-dismis...-protects-merchants-against-serial-returners/

I realize you are angry and it is understandable. However your email does not just shoot yourself in the foot, but in the head several times over.

If you say that you are never going to come back to the business again why would the business make things right? See the below:

So you will never buy from Best But again but you will not stay with Amazon, What does Amazon have to do with this issue?

And also

I’m reaching out on social media, BBB, and trying to get an attorney involved because this is just wrong of your store. You guys write the rules for TRE but do not return things correctly and misinform people.

Well get an attorney involved and no one will answer you -- that is normal corporate behavior -- threaten an attorney and the company waits for an attorney.

The BBB is not a credible threat. All they do is forward the complaint and also make a rating -- of course a company business can be an accredited BBB member (ie pay) and have a good rating.

And the social media threat? Most companies will assess the potential negative publicity -- this is not a civil rights issue, no one died, the social media issue will disappear and be replaced by another.

The truth is most people glaze over the latest social media issue unless it so egregious that it violates human decency -- which means civil rights, death, health etc. There is too much information out there. And most of the middle class of the USA is working hard just to maintain a standard of living.

Now I do care as one of the small business/middle class people, so I get the outrage. But if one wants a positive resolution one has to be strategic.

I have had to moderate my outrage and be realistic. Some may think I am negative, but I am grounded in reality of the economic climate that we live in.

Take a step back, and think about composing a letter than will get the resolution that you desire. It is not selling out, it is being practical and realistic.
I’m afraid it’s alresdy too late- she sent the letter already with the lawyer threat.

I’m afraid you may have let your anger get the better of you by sending that. As my colleagues have said, once you threaten an attorney you pretty much cut off any assistance you may have gotten. They usually will not reply for fear of saying anything that can be used against them.

I would also stop buying anything from Best Buy if you have this many problems with your purchases.

Sep 19, 2015
I’m afraid it’s alresdy too late- she sent the letter already with the lawyer threat.

I’m afraid you may have let your anger get the better of you by sending that. As my colleagues have said, once you threaten an attorney you pretty much cut off any assistance you may have gotten. They usually will not reply for fear of saying anything that can be used against them.

I would also stop buying anything from Best Buy if you have this many problems with your purchases.
Argh Neil I missed that point -- well maybe my advice will help someone else.

Yes once your threaten legal action expect silence -- standard practice. And tweeting treats of legal action is like shouting into the wind.

Yelp well -- the credibility again is minimal.

If one looks at the BestBuy forum people have had their issues cleared up with the Retail Equation and been allowed to return things. But that is from interacting with the Retail Equation.

The problem is that the algorithm ie computer program flagged the return. And algorithms seem to be everywhere. Then it takes time for an actual person to review and look at the nuances -- ie the situation, such as delivering damaged goods etc.

Responding in anger rarely leads to a positive resolution. If one looks at twitter and searches best buy and retail equation, many people have had problems -- and there are the friends that threaten to boycott etc, but the minute there is a black friday sale people forget the outrage and line up.

Algorithms and computer programs are making the first decisions -- and yes it is depressing -- and an entry level programmer with a MS or BS in Computer Science can make more money than someone out of medical school who has passed all exams and done internships and wants to be a family doctor --but I digress as I often do...

The OP may need to start over and apologize for the previous posts and delete them and try again

Jan 6, 2015
Not only "calm down", but always let the facts speak for themselves. Case in point:
  • You said . . . "Then we go on to last year with my MACBOOK computers which was a CLUSTER!!!! I go by what you store personal tells me what to do. My older MacBook was in for repair. They told me it was time for a new one. So here we go… I purchased one they recommended. when i got home to set it up there was NOT enough RAM. So, back to BB i go. They did a special order and ordered the wrong one. Then finally got it right. By the time they were done with the receipt (on all my items) i had a flipping phone phonebook of receipts and hard to decipher. As they added and took away warranties, and install. So confusing."
  • Verses this: Last year I took my MacBook to your xxxx store for repair. They recommended a new one, which I then purchased. When I attempted to set it up at home there was insufficient RAM. Back at the store they admitted the model they ordered was incorrect, but it took more than one order for them to receive the right one for me. In the process, they added and removed warranties and installs resulting in a large number of receipts that are now difficult to track.
  • and you said: "YOU guys need to get your employees on board with education and products and NOT just a sale. you also need to do returns/exchanges correctly. "
  • Consider: "This series of experiences does not reflect well on your teams, at least for me. As a customer affected by their performance, I believe I should have received better results.
Insults and threats are always a turnoff, even if they contain elements of truth . . .

Mar 17, 2019

And also

Thank you for your constructive criticism. Extremely helpful. I did put my emotions first when I write this and did not think.

Dec 19, 2014
You have already done this, but am posting for anyone else reading this thread.

"Consumers can contact TRE by sending an e-mail to: ReturnActivityReport@TheRetailEquation.com or a letter to The Retail Equation at the addresses shown on TheRetailEquation.com web site. Requests should include the consumer’s name and a phone number where he/she can be contacted. When TRE calls, the company will ask for the consumer’s driver’s license number and state, to enable a database search. TRE representatives prefer to call consumers to avoid sending personal information via e-mail or mail. " - from the website

I agree with others, you may have already shot yourself in the foot (if not worse). If this was the tone that you used for the regional manager and have not heard back, I am skeptical that you will get anywhere else higher up the chain. I would not be surprised if the executive team will support the RM.

From a neutral 3rd party reading your post, it does not put you in the best of light. In you have already posted that to social media, it makes you look bad. Finally, if the Geek squad is so "incompetent" why continue to use them? Sometimes you get what you pay for. Fortunately, TRE's algorithm only takes into account store specific returns, and there are lots of competitors to Best Buy.

Mar 17, 2019
The only other post I put was on Yelp. I did shoot my self in the foot. I let my emotions to this matter cloud my writing. The only thing on my part with the returns was I went under the advise of their techs in what to purchase. I have used BB for a long time. But TRE did say that they do returns incorrectly at times. Which has counted against me. It was over $1,000 worth of items that were purchased and returned. Is my BB credit card and not opened. BB was. T consultant on the start of building a smart home with products. So, I take them for their word.

Sep 19, 2015
Thank you for your constructive criticism. Extremely helpful. I did put my emotions first when I write this and did not think.
Karenmcq I get the emotional thing my closest living relative is Mt. Vesuvius....

But I learned that no matter how right one is, an approach out of anger most often does not lead to a positive resolution — in fact it gives the company/person an excuse to blame the aggrieved one.

Try deleting as much as you can, apologize and start over.

May 16, 2018
Perhaps you aren't getting any traction because you are writing to Best Buy and complaining about Amazon. Writing that you aren't staying with Amazon makes it seem like you have had problems with more than one store and are cutting and pasting your complaint.

But aside from that, which may have been a typo, I am really at a loss as to why you would keep buying from a store that repeatedly sells you defective items. Perhaps someone at Best Buy doesn't believe that all your returns were for defects.

I am not saying you aren't telling the truth! I am saying that it is puzzling that you would receive so many defective items and continue shopping there.

Mar 17, 2019
Good news today. The Best Buy Corp office called me. We had a great conversation. He is taking these items off my report. I’m good to go.
Thank you guys for all your help and support.

Sep 19, 2015
Good news today. The Best Buy Corp office called me. We had a great conversation. He is taking these items off my report. I’m good to go.
Thank you guys for all your help and support.
Karen I am glad that you got things worked out. The computer flagged the returns and all you needed was an actual person with some authority to review the issue.

I would delete or update the Yelp review on the positive resolution. There are certainly people that try to scam the sysyqwwwwwwwwww nnnnnnnm