Best Buy A Bust

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 12, 2019
I ordered a $10 item today and wasted 3 hours and a friend's additional 2 hours to recover from the unnecessary episode.

Order:. xxxxxxxx

I called my local store and hung up after 30 minutes waiting to talk to someone.

I went online and learned that 2 of the items I wanted were in stock.

I dispatched a friend to pick up the order, only to learn by text that the item was not actually in stock.

I called the next closest store an hour away and hug up after another 30+ minute wait.

I went online and discovered I could change the pickup store.

I elected that avenue and selected chat to discuss my miserable experience. I was disconnected after 20 minutes.

I called, got a person in the Philippines, and learned that nothing could be done to respond to my experience.

Is this the best Best Buy can do?

Edited by moderator to remove order number

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I do not totally understand your question. You ordered a $10 item. I don’t understand how a $10 item turned into an order for 3 items?

Was it one item or three? Can you cancel the order and return order or have it mailed to your house? Did the order show the items are actually in the store and then after you ordered, they aren’t? We need you to clarify exactly what happened- your post is not clear.

I would cancel the order if it’s not in stock for pick up and you need it right away.

We have company contacts for Best Buy:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/best-buy/

Jun 24, 2019
From my experience, Best Buy isn't the best buy. I've ordered stuff that isn't available when I show up. I had trouble getting Best Buy to price match to Best Buy's own on-line price, even with a printout from the website. Once, when I bought a small item and was asked for my name and phone number (illegal in California), the cashier entered my name as "Ben Dover." The manager thought that was funny.

And, as I've said, not the best buy. They typically charge retail.

Unfortunately, Best Buy is, as Danny DeVito would have observed in Other People's Money, the buggy whip company which survived.

If so motivated, you should report to the company contacts and go up the line. Figure out what you want. For the annoyance you had on a $10 item (been there, done that) there isn't a lot of room to ask for something reasonable.

Aug 12, 2019
I do not totally understand your question. You ordered a $10 item. I don’t understand how a $10 item turned into an order for 3 items?

Was it one item or three? Can you cancel the order and return order or have it mailed to your house? Did the order show the items are actually in the store and then after you ordered, they aren’t? We need you to clarify exactly what happened- your post is not clear.

I would cancel the order if it’s not in stock for pick up and you need it right away.

We have company contacts for Best Buy:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/best-buy/
It was one order, but required heroic efforts to obtain what was ultimately an unusable item. The hours spent is the issue, along with the erroneous web assurance of the items availability. Moreover, the issue is with the inability to communicate with Best Buy when a problem occurs.

Aug 12, 2019
Thank you. Perhaps communication with Best Buy regarding their need to provide an improved platform for interaction with customers who encounter a problem. The current ineffective avenue of calling a call center located in the Phillipines where the personnel routinely put the caller on long holds to check with others on simple questions is extremely frustrating and time consuming, leaving the customer with a reluctance to make any future purchases. Their web based inventory system should also be evaluated for accuracy.

Feb 12, 2019
Their web based inventory system should also be evaluated for accuracy.
When customers have access to the inventory, there's always going to be inaccuracies in a web based inventory. Besides the time it takes for a sale to make it through the systems to update the website, a customer could be walking around the store with the item, or it could have been stolen which wouldn't reflect in the inventory count until the store did inventory again. If they say only a few items at one specific store - especially if the item is on sale - there's a decent chance by the time they get to your order those 1 or 2 left could be gone.

Jun 1, 2018
Does your Best Buy offer online ordering and in-store pickup? If so, the thing to do is order the item online and wait for a confirmation email stating the order is ready for pickup - that way nobody wastes time making a trip to the store only to find that the item you wanted isn't available.

I have found that this is the best way to deal with the uncertainties of online inventories, not just with BB but with other retailers, as I've had similar experiences.

Jun 24, 2019
I’ve ordered on line at Best Buy, received the confirmation e mail, only to find nothing waiting for me. It was a new dvd, released that day, and eventually the manager found the box in which the dvds were delivered had not even been opened. So the confirmation e mail was, to say the least, inaccurate.

Sep 27, 2017
Go ahead and contact Best Buy via e-mail using the contacts Neil left. There's an additional link to best practices when writing a company.

You probably won't get anything out of BB but a canned apology and a token gift card for a few bucks, but if enough people took the initiative and complained to the right people, they may actually try to correct the problems with inventory control, long waits on the phone, etc..