Best Airport

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 3, 2016
Hey Everybody;
What's the best airport on the west coast to fly to Hawaii from? Any idea on what airline has the best pricing and connections. Plan to fly SWA to west coast and then ???? to Hawaii. Looking a year from now.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Hey Everybody;
What's the best airport on the west coast to fly to Hawaii from? Any idea on what airline has the best pricing and connections. Plan to fly SWA to west coast and then ???? to Hawaii. Looking a year from now.
I've flown from LA, San Francisco and Las Vegas. They were all easy flights. I would go with whichever is the cheapest at the time.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I would look at the best price between your home airport and your destination, rather than assuming that it's cheaper to fly to the west coast and then onwards (which may not be the case). I use kayak.com to see which fares are best then I use the airlines's website to book (not kayak).

Nov 3, 2015
PDX would be my pick for a semi-sane west coast airport.

That said, I've been told that prices a year out are generally not as good as a bit later; in addition, if you have to cancel the trip for some reason and then want to use the residual value to purchase new tickets, the residual value is ordinarily allowed only if you will have completed the new flights within a year of the original purchase date, not the more logical date of original proposed flight.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I also like Portland, less ATC issues and fewer delays. Check fares on Alaska and Hawaiian for good prices to Hawaii.

Note: as I live in rural Oregon, I look at ANY West Coast airport ( Sea to Lax) for departure to International destinations and then fly to that airport the evening before so I don't have issues with small regional flights that can easily mess up my International flights.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The best airport is the one that is easy for you to get to, that has multiple flights and airlines flying every day so if your flight is canceled, you have another flight you can potentially get on to get to your destination. And that has decent prices.

The West Coast covers several states. You can look from Seattle to Salt Lake Cityto L.A. Specifically what states have you considered?

why are you making it so complicated?

If you have two tickets you have twice as many things that can go wrong. Plus in LA you will need to change terminals.

I strongly recommend that you simply search for a single airline with a single ticket - with a more simple connection. It will be cheaper.

Where are you coming from? Because United flies nonstop Hawaii from Denver - Delta from Salt Lake, American from Phoenix - plus Hawaiian goes from Vegas - etc etc etc

You are asking for a problem flying two different airlines - don't. If Southwest has a flight delay and you miss your connection - what happens then? You are no-show for the Hawaii flight -then you'll come whining here about the airline being mean and not accommodating you.

you came for advice - that's my advice.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Joe is exactly right. We have multiple complaints here from people that used two airlines with lousy results.

Plus you have to wait for your luggage after your first flight snd recheck it on the next flight which can take an hour depending on how long it takes for the first flight to unload the luggage. If your connection is too tight you will back here telling us you were charged for a new ticket because you missed your connection. I can almost guarantee it.

Nov 3, 2015
...unless the idea is to take a short vacation on the West Coast before flying on to Hawaii. Personally, I don't do well folded up in an airline seat for many hours, so if I had to fly from the east coast to Hawaii, I might well be thinking of a day or so of sightseeing on the west coast before going on.

But yes, if the point is to simply travel to Hawaii with minimum problems, booking the whole thing on one ticket is an excellent way to prevent headaches and extra costs.

(And PDX, this time of year, typically has at least OK skiing on Mt. Hood, as well as the usual city sorts of things to do.)

Nov 14, 2016
why are you making it so complicated?

If you have two tickets you have twice as many things that can go wrong. Plus in LA you will need to change terminals.

I strongly recommend that you simply search for a single airline with a single ticket - with a more simple connection. It will be cheaper.

Where are you coming from? Because United flies nonstop Hawaii from Denver - Delta from Salt Lake, American from Phoenix - plus Hawaiian goes from Vegas - etc etc etc

You are asking for a problem flying two different airlines - don't. If Southwest has a flight delay and you miss your connection - what happens then? You are no-show for the Hawaii flight -then you'll come whining here about the airline being mean and not accommodating you.

you came for advice - that's my advice.
Joe is soooooooooo right. Many passengers don't realize this but the airlines don't communicate with one another.

If you fly Southwest to LAX and the flight is late, American/United/Delta/etc. isn't going to know that. They're just going to consider that you missed your flight and you'll be in a bad way. At best you'll get hit with a hefty change fee. More likely you'll end up buying a ticket at walk-up prices.

Not to mention that you'll have to go get your bags and probably re-enter security. Unless you like getting groped by the TSA that's probably something you'd rather skip. You'll have to change terminals. The list of headaches go on and on - you're just asking for trouble doing that.

Instead, choose one airline and buy the ticket either through a GOOD travel agent or buy it directly from the airline. Get travel insurance if you can't afford to lose the money due to injury/illness/schedule change/etc. And go and have fun. It's Hawaii after all!

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
Adding to the other posts; if you "no show" for your onward* flight to Hawaii, the ticket will be null and void for that flight and any remaining flights on the ticket. Hence, if you purchased a RT mainland-Hawaii-mainland ticket, you will be out the entire amount. "No-show" means not proactively contacting the airline to cancel or change your flight, and simply failing to check in and appear at the gate before the airline's cutoff deadlines. You might be unable to contact the second airline because you're in the air on a badly delayed flight to the West Coast. The airline doesn't know and doesn't care. I'd allow at least 6 hours and ideally 24 in both directions if you're traveling on 2 tickets. As others said, allow enough time to claim your luggage, schlep it to the second airline, check in, and re-clear security. Even with carry-on only, the majority of airports require going outside security to go between different airlines.

To your original question, also look at secondary or not obvious airports such as SAN, SJC, OAK, SMF, SLC, DEN or LAS.

*Onward- I didn't use the word "connecting" because your plan isn't a connection in airline-speak.

Apr 26, 2016
The only way we would ever use two different airlines is if we intended to spend 2-3 days in some West Coast city (San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle) BEFORE & AFTER our flights to/from Hawaii. We prefer Hawaiian or Alaska to get to the islands rather than one of the legacy carriers.

Sep 5, 2016
This person must have thought we were operating as a travel agency, & as Neil said, 'where is he now' ? It seems like he has been on this site before. Forgetful, Rude...............?

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
This person must have thought we were operating as a travel agency, & as Neil said, 'where is he now' ? It seems like he has been on this site before. Forgetful, Rude...............?
Could be anything...remember everyone is slammed w/ holiday preps, and work/ leisure is disrupted by weather the past few days.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think 'one hit wonders' are perfectly understandable ... they are only interested in themselves and their problem. If we tell them how to solve it, they go do that. If we ask specific questions, and lots of them, to determine a good road for them to follow, they just don't want to bother. Perhaps they realize that they've caused most of their own trouble, so they just forget about the whole thing. They might mean to come back and report to us, but they forget.

I don't think we should expect an OP to respond back while he's busy following our advice and trying to get his problem solved. We don't know if he's reading subsequent posts or not. He may not have anything yet to say.

Dec 17, 2016
If you have non stop service from your area, take it, less problems, you will enjoy your self with your arrival in HNL. Buster