Basic questions: Email submission guidelines? AirBnB card disputes?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 30, 2018
An update: I didn't have much time from the time I had posted to file for a dispute (a few days). I tried to see if I could have postponed the filing deadline with no avail so I filed a credit card dispute. The first bank representative was certain I had a more than valid case. The process as a whole was very opaque. In the end, it was deemed that there was no "billing error," whatever that means. I still believe my situation is valid and I'd like to find another means to resolve my discrepancy with AirBnB and receive a proper refund. What more could I do?

May 30, 2018
Hi Neil,

Sure.
I first filed the dispute over phone and explained my situation to the credit card institution. The customer service rep asked for information and agreed I had a case and I started the dispute filing process. They snail mailed me a paper asking for information that was given to them over the phone. I sent my responses over their electronic platform.

Pretty much the processes mentioned above was what it's been for the entire dispute process where it would be me and/or them calling. They'd ask for information over the phone regarding the dispute, then they would mail a paper that would ask for information. Then I'd send my responses over their electronic platform. Rinse and repeat.

Then one day I got a mail that said: "We contacted the merchant to discuss the disputed transaction. We sent you a letter and asked for information regarding the dispute. We reviewed the information available. We found no evidence of a billing error based on our research and the information available to us. As a result, the disputed amount will remain on your account and it will be included in your account balance."

So I called and this is what they told me over the phone as well.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That’s not what I meant. What happened at the rental that caused you to file a dispute? What was wrong with the property?

Did you follow Airbnb’s process of reporting problems within 24 hours of arrival?

You must always follow up a verbal dispute in writing- you shouldn’t need to wait for a form, you simply needed to have written a letter saying you disputed the charge and why.

Indeed there wasn’t a billing error if you had a problem at the rental and didn’t follow Airbnb’s directions, which is why you might have lost st the dispute.

We need to know what happened at the rental to determine if you are due any refund.

May 30, 2018
Here's what I did.
I sent this as an email to the head of homes at that time. I got no response. It could be due to length. If going up the executive chain is still applicable, it would be great to get help with truncation. I'll be honest, because of the timeline to dispute was so soon, I had focused more on the dispute process.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You have to complete the full writing process we advise you to and turn ask for additional help. The writers need to see all the correspondance you have sent to the company. Once you have finished, if no one has contacted you, the writers will see if they think they can help.

May 30, 2018
Hi Neil,

Thank you for clarifying. Ok, this is what I'll do. I'll do my best to tighten up the writing in the link above, and then share it with the forum for feedback before trying the full writing process. Let me know if it's okay to do that.

May 30, 2018
Here's my attempt again (below in quotes), what I had originally sent over was https://forum.elliott.org/threads/b...idelines-airbnb-card-disputes.8110/post-83469

I’m emailing you requesting a remainder refund credited back to my credit card of $_____ following an experience with an Airbnb host. I only had $____ credited back to my card.

The check-in date was May 14, 2018, and reservation code ___________.

Upon arrival to the host’s home, this is what I found:
  • Linen: the sheets, pillow cases, and comforter being stained, covered in hair, and unwashed.
  • Kitchen was advertised as available for guests, but there were dirty plates all over the kitchen counter and food stacked on the stove. Overflowing garbage in the kitchen and floors soiled with food scraps.
  • I have pictures that I can share if necessary, as I was asked to collect documentation by Airbnb.
  • Hosts were very loud in the middle of the night.

• Host’s wife continued to monitor my habits and confront me for infractions.

• First time I got yelled at was for indoor slippers; wife argued against them until husband (host) told me they are allowed.

• While the host was gone the next morning, host’s wife jumped up and ran over to me and confronted/screamed at me for wearing indoor slippers between the bathroom and the carpeted areas.

• Wife demanded removal of slippers husband told me were ok to wear.
These are the additional rules that I was told after I arrived:
  • Indoor shoes are restricted to the bathroom and the kitchen; Carpeted areas should be barefooted.

• Don't contaminate any of their kitchenware with wine or pork.

The following restrictions were added in the listing only after my experience with the host:

• “As the whole apartment area (except kitchen and bathroom) is carpeted, we request guests to remove their footwear by the door.”

• “You must also acknowledge: Potential for noise - As it's overlooking the downtown and a busy street facing, there is always some street noise at night.“
I felt threatened by the wife and the house (including the bed I was to sleep in) was dirty. I contacted Airbnb as instructed in the customer terms per Airbnb to intervene with the host when I left the home for the day for a work conference. I was advised by a representative to collect documentation, after which I would receive further consultation as to how to handle the situation.

Following this interaction (while I was collecting documentation to be sent back to Airbnb as requested), the balance of my stay was canceled–I don’t know who canceled it, Airbnb or the host.

I am requesting a refund for the remainder of the remaining days I paid for of my reservation. I followed Airbnb’s directions to try and work the issues out. My stay was canceled before I had the opportunity to send my documentation, as advised by the customer service representative, to resolve the matter.

Thank you for your time and any help in resolving this matter,