Barred from NCL for life

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 8, 2018
Not sure if I have been doing this right, but I sent 2 emails to Elliott.org from their web page and have not had a response and its been two months.

Anyways, I had my luggage broken into sometime from the port hand off to my room delivery. My TUMI lock was broken and my luggage gone threw and some items taken. I complained to NCL, they accused me of having something illegal in my luggage then told me that they did not like that I accused one of their staff of stealing form me. The head of security told me that as far as he was concerned, this never happened. We didn't even get an apology. When we got home, we noticed that 2 of our future bookings were cancelled. We called NCL and they told us we were banned or barred for life. The refused to let us talk to anyone. I phoned Ms. Ewart at NCl and have yet to have my phone call returned. I turned to Elliot.org but have not heard back form them in over 2 months. Anyone have any suggestions.

Dec 27, 2014
NoVA
I'm sorry to hear of your experience. The TSA can search baggage at a cruise port the same as an airport. If there was something questionable in your bag, they would have searched it. If the TSA can't open the lock for whatever reason, they will break it. Unfortunately, that's the way it is for passengers nowadays.

There is some missing info here. What missing from your bag and what made you (or NCL) think that a staff member was being accused? When did you make your initial complaint to NCL? Did you file a report with local authorities?

As for the canceled cruises, the cruise line has the right to refuse any customer. I'm not sure you'll be able to reverse their decision on that one.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is definitely a story that needs investigating. I hope one of our writers will contact you to see if we can help. What were the missing items from your luggage? Why did you accuse an employee of theft? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sep 19, 2015
I'm sorry to hear of your experience. The TSA can search baggage at a cruise port the same as an airport. If there was something questionable in your bag, they would have searched it. If the TSA can't open the lock for whatever reason, they will break it. Unfortunately, that's the way it is for passengers nowadays.

There is some missing info here. What missing from your bag and what made you (or NCL) think that a staff member was being accused? When did you make your initial complaint to NCL? Did you file a report with local authorities?

As for the canceled cruises, the cruise line has the right to refuse any customer. I'm not sure you'll be able to reverse their decision on that one.
All luggage is x rayed at the port. The Op stated it happened after the luggage was given to the port agent. So the TSA has nothing to do wih this.

Sep 19, 2015
Davenmike — all luggage is X-rayed and opened if something shows up on the X Ray. The security is allowed to break open a lock; this is why it is advised to not lock or to use TSA approved locks as the port security have the keys.

Did you have something that was not allowed on board the ship (like alcohol)?

What was confiscated?

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
Also when you say you weren't getting replies from Elliott.org previously, which web page URL were you using? I'm sorry about the delay although you've definitely come to the right place here in the forums.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don’t think you are giving us the whole story. As my colleagues have said- if there is something questionable when your bags are xrayed getting on the ship- they will break open the lock to go through it and remove it just as TSA would at an airport. That’s why you are only supposed to use TSA locks.

What did you have in the bag? Liquor or something similar?

Was your bag delivered to your cabin or did you have to retrieve it from guest services?

What was your reaction when you retrieved the bag? Were you accusatory or did you argue with them? It had to be a very confrontational for them to ban you for life.,

You need to be fully honest and give us the details if you want help. What you are telling us doesn’t seem to warrant being banned. There seems to be information missing.

Oct 8, 2018
I’m sorry my email must’ve been a little confusing
Their response to me when I told them my bags were broken into .....
Was that I must’ve had something illegal in it which I didn’t so I asked the process about which they go into my bags if I did and they told me the policy is they would have put a note in the bag or on the bag which was not present so they do not search my bag because I had nothing illegal in it . I am quite aware of what the policy is and what you can and cannot bring on to the boat. This was my 10th cruise.
Secondly I did not accuse them, they told me they did not appreciate me suggesting that someone at NCL had gone into my bag.
I never said anything other than that someone had gone through my bags broke my lock and took some items sometime between the point of me handing it over at the port and it being delivered to my room .
The front desk management was very abrupt and pretty much useless .

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018
And yes my locks were TUMI locks so no reason to brake them.
I am not even sure of the force that was needed to break this lock open.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018
I will admit that I did argue with the front desk manager the next morning as she basically told us that they were not going to do anything.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thank you for clarifying. But just so you know- this could have happened at the port by security when xraying the bags. This just doesn’t make sense for this to happen over two pair of shoes. But I have had TSA going into my luggage atbthe airport and not out slips in several times. The only way I knew that someone went through the bags were that on two occasions is because my TSA lock was hanging off the bag open in one case and was completely missing the second time. The clothes were rifled through as well but nothing was missing. But no note inside the bags.

We recommend that you write to NCL, not call. Read the full first page of our company contacts and then start your writing campaign- start at the bottom
and move up once a week from executive to executive.

You must make your letter polite and apologetic if you want the to rescind the order. Admit you might have gotten a little angry but has shoes worth $xxx that were taken out of your bag (along with anything else that was missing). Mention your loyalty to the cruise line throughout the years.

Go up the email chain of Executives one at a time and save each outgoing email as proof of writing. If you go all the way up and receive no response- come back and we’ll tell you your next step.

This just doesn’t make sense that they banned you for a minor confrontation. They will need to get the report on the incident from the ship and probably security video from the encounter so you’ll need to give them some time to get that.

Sep 19, 2015
Is the Tumi lock a separate lock or one attached to the suitcase?

And the lock was intact when handing it to the agent? When you received the bags were the locks still attached?

Was this a cruise that stopped at an international port?

Are you sure it was a NCL person who opened the bag and not law enforcement or DHS? maybe a false positive from a sniffer dog?

How bad was the altercation with the front desk person.

Nov 21, 2014
Bared/Banned for life! Wow and cancel two future cruises with 10 sailings already on NCL. They don’t do this often and all I can say is, I wonder what the entire story is. This must have been a very very ugly confrontation they just do NOT do this over a small issue. Have you had issues before, basically NCL has fired you and they also won’t allow you to sail on any other Brands they own which includes Oceania and Regent.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
davenmke,

I do see you submitted a help request to us on Sept 11th. We responded with a request for your paper trail. We also responded again on Sept 19th after you emailed us again. I've sent a response again today, using the email account you registered in the forums. Please check your email SPAM folders.