Banned from all Island Hospitality Hotels (Residence Inn's, etc) and Regional Manager won't even tell me what I allegedly did!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 3, 2018
Two days before I was to check into a Marriott Residence Inn, Silicon Valley II (owned by Island Hospitality Managment), in November of 2018 in Sunnyvale, CA, they called and said that they found a "flag" on my account and would not be honoring my reservation. I had made the reservation three weeks prior. Island Hospitality has banned me from all their properties which include all the extended stay Marriotts that I normally use in the South SF Bay area (Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Mountain View). The GM in Sunnyvale told me that it was because I had police on one of thier properties some time ago and all I got from an e-mail from the Regional Manager was that they claim I did something at thier Residence Inn in San Mateo (a hotel I have never in my life stayed)! The regional manager won't even respond to my lengthy e-mail and request for specific information. I am a Marriott Platinum Elite Rewards member and have stayed at many Marriott locations for very long durations over the course of some 26 years. I am a very good rule-abiding guest and nothing like this has ever happenned to me. I think this is some sort of mistaken identity case but they won't even respond to me. The only time I ever called the police was in May of 2017 when a $450 watch went missing from my room. Management recommended that I file a police report which I did. The watch was never recovered. Five weeks after the missing watch, a Buddhist pendant with gold trim went missing. I never filed a report for that and the pendent was also never recovered. I also had a 4-week-long mouse infestation at this same Sunnyvale Residence Inn (Silicon Valley I) which was not resolved until after I moved out. That was the last Residence Inn I had stayed in and checked out in September of 2017. I left only because they raised the room rate above my company allowed Government Per Diem Rate. The day after I moved out, Residence Inn Sales called me an apologized, saying that the property should not have raised my room rate. I was offered a lower room rate than before if were to return but I replied that I don't travel lightly and that due to the series if unfortunate incidents at that property I was going to take a break from Marriott's for a while. 18 months later, I chose return to Marriott Residence Inn but a different location (Silicon Valley II) and that brings me back to the beginning of my bizarre but true story. I never had any problems worth noting, never had anything expensive go missing at any Residence Inn (or any hotel in general) in my life until my one 6-month stay at Silicon Valley I, 20 months ago.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Dec 3, 2018
Follow this thread on developing a paper trail and write to Marriott Corporate. It does not sound like mistaken identity because you did call the police on the missing watch.

I think you should ask to be removed and explain that management told you to file a police report about the missing watch and you should not be on a banned list because you followed the advice of the hotel

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Yes, this is one of the first things mentioned, that I was only doing what the management recommended.

Dec 3, 2018
People can be banned for many reasons, including excessive complaints. Write to the execs and be polite.
Thanks, I have tried to be polite and explain that I have never stayed at their San Mateo property. It's way too far from where I work, in Sunnyvale. Probably the only thing I could be accused of is complaining but it was about perfectly valid problems which have never happened to me ever at any other hotel. I feel this is so unfair. I am not sure who would listen to me above the Regional Manager level.

Jun 27, 2017
I would also suggest to not leave valuable items - like watches, jewelry, phones, laptops, flash drives, money, etc. - in view. We use in-room safes, or put them in our locked suitcases, or conceal them (freezers sometimes work), or take items with us.

Dec 3, 2018
I would also suggest to not leave valuable items - like watches, jewelry, phones, laptops, flash drives, money, etc. - in view. We use in-room safes, or put them in our locked suitcases, or conceal them (freezers sometimes work), or take items with us.
Thanks, I take some precautions now. If there were room safes I would have definitely used them.

Dec 3, 2018
Follow this thread on developing a paper trail and write to Marriott Corporate. It does not sound like mistaken identity because you did call the police on the missing watch.

I think you should ask to be removed and explain that management told you to file a police report about the missing watch and you should not be on a banned list because you followed the advice of the hotel

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
The GM only told me that the police were on thier property...because of me at one point. He did not provide any specifics so I was forced to assume it was the police report I filed and yes I agree and told him that I was only doing what the manager at the time recommended. The GM indicated that he would try to do what he could but that he did not have the final say in the matter. The Regional Manager only reply to me was this:
Hello Mr. Ward,

I appreciate you reaching out to me regarding this situation. Unfortunately though, stemming back to an event that occurred at the Residence Inn in San Mateo; a property Island Hospitality also manages, I am supporting the properties decision to not accept accommodating your reservation. I hope you understand our decision based upon the event that occurred in San Mateo some time back.

Regards,

Thompson Mosher
Regional Vice President
Island Hospitality

My reply that I had never in my life stayed at thier San Mateo P{roperty and my requests for specifics like the date and exactly what happened all went unanswered so they obviously do not want to anwer those questions, probably because I can prove that I was elsewhere when this alleged incident took place. Very frustrating.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with Neil. This is now such a communication snarl that it may never be sorted out. I'm not sure why you'd want to return to any of these properties, but I advise that you create a concise, polite narrative of exactly what happened. At one point, you state that you wrote a long explanation and were ignored. If your story is not short and clear, most people will just set it aside and not deal with the situation. For example, they say the police were on their property, you say that you filed a police report. This is not a complete description that makes sense - which is it? In order to understand the situation, one would need to know what happened. Most hotel management teams are very wary about guest claims of theft from their guest rooms. First, very little can be proven. Second, experienced travellers do not even bring expensive small items on a trip, much less leave them somewhere where they can disappear.

I'm sure that you know Marriott is in deep trouble trying to smooth out the merger with Starwood; executives probably have little energy left over to solve problems like yours. My advice to you is to do a status match at Hilton and start anew with hotels who are glad to see you and give you good service.