Bank of America Sandals Visa...7 years of savings points for nothing?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 8, 2015
I’m hoping you can give me some advice before I cancel a $6,200 one week vacation for two in St. Lucia over a discrepancy of 4,500 Sandals Visa points.
My husband and I started using the Bank of America Sandals Visa card in 2008 after our second vacation with Sandals. We needed 100,000 to receive 3 free nights at one of their resorts.
A few years ago, we reached approximately 127,000 points, so last March, I put a down deposit on a trip to Sandals in St. Lucia, figuring we had more than enough points. This week, I called Sandals to pay my remaining balance and asked them to apply the 100,000 points. That’s when I found out that I only had 91,154 points on my Sandals Visa.
I had never used a point since I had the card, so when I called Bank of America, I was surprised and shocked to learn that my points start to expire after 5 years. I know…shame on me for not reading the fine print. But shame on them for burying that information.
I explained my situation and asked them to please review my request for less than 9,000 points. I was told that I’m an excellent customer with an excellent record and they would see what they could do. After waiting a few days, I found out today that they only gave me a about 4,000 additional points. So now I have 95,501 points….and that’s still not the magic 100,000 that I need. I spoke to a couple of mangers and they will not add any more points to my account. ”There’s nothing more they can do”

I then called Sandals and explained the situation. I told them that I will gladly pay them the difference for the 4,500 points I’m short. In Sandals dollars, 4,500 points translates to about $75 max. But they said no, they can’t do that. I can’t believe that they would rather I cancel my vacation than work with me over those few points. I am so disappointed with them, especially since we’re repeat customers.
Is there anything else I can do before cancelling our dream vacation that we’ve been saving points since 2008 to earn, and losing $$ on airfare that we’ve already prepaid? Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t think I’m asking for anything that I didn’t earn. I feel rather stupid and sheepish for not realizing that I cannot count on the points I earned.
By the way, if I don’t use the 100,000 points for the three free nights at Sandals, that’s an additional $2010.00 we would have to pay, making it a $8,200 vacation for one week. Just can’t justify that one.
My final deposit to Sandals is due early next week (Jan 14).

Samanthan,

I am an assistant to Elliot and his crew.

First i am sorry to hear about your situation with Sandal and BofA. I had a similar situation with Air Canada a few years back, guilty "I didn't read the fine print" and the points expired. But when I called them they told me if I paid $200 I could get them re-instated. Perhaps that may be an option with BofA, or Sandals?

Good Luck and keep us posted, we hope they will reach a amicable resolution rather than lose an "Excellent customer !".

Rick

Jan 8, 2015
Samanthan,

First i am sorry to hear about your situation with Sandal and BofA. I had a similar situation with Air Canada a few years back, guilty "I didn't read the fine print" and the points expired. But when I called them they told me if I paid $200 I could get them re-instated. Perhaps that may be an option with BofA, or Sandals?

Good Luck and keep us posted, we hope they will reach a amicable resolution rather than lose an "Excellent customer !".

Rick
Samanthan,

Rick
Rick,
Samanthan,

Rick
Thanks rick
Just

Jan 8, 2015
Thanks Rick,
Took your advice and Just got off the phone with Bank of America and they don't have a way to sell me the few points I need. This is so frustrating. I'm willing to work with them and told them I would pay, but no-can do. Any other suggestions?

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Hi Samanthan,

Plan"B": Get off the phone,and start sending emails to the Bank of America executives. Here's a link to the folks you need to contact:

Send short, polite emails to, one at a time, with a week between each, the two Primary Contacts, followed by the CEO.

Save all your correspondence and if you don't receive satisfaction, feel free to forward your "paper trail" to Chris for review.

Good luck!

Grant

Jan 8, 2015
Hi Samanthan,

Plan"B": Get off the phone,and start sending emails to the Bank of America executives. Here's a link to the folks you need to contact:

Send short, polite emails to, one at a time, with a week between each, the two Primary Contacts, followed by the CEO.

Save all your correspondence and if you don't receive satisfaction, feel free to forward your "paper trail" to Chris for review.

Good luck!

Grant
Thanks Grant.
Unfortunately, my time is quickly running out. I only have until Jan. 14. That's the final day I have to give my final payment to Sandals. I did try emailing two of the contacts on the list you sent last night, but the emails to the Customer Service advocates bounced back. I'm hoping the phone # that's listed is still valid.

Jan 8, 2015
I just hear back from Sandals. They inform me that this has been fixed. Samantha, do you have any details?
Fixed? That's news to me. When I talked with them yesterday I was told there was nothing they can do for me. I did send an email to their CEO last night, but I have heard nothing back from them.

Jan 8, 2015
Fixed? That's news to me. When I talked with them yesterday I was told there was nothing they can do for me. I did send an email to their CEO last night, but I have heard nothing back from them.
Chris,
I just got off the phone with Sandals customer service. Nothing has changed. Nothing has been fixed. And, now if I understand correctly what they told me, the beach side cottage rooms I reserved 10 months ago, may not be what I get, even if I somehow manage to get my 3 free nights???

Jan 8, 2015
I found these for CEO Adam Stewart. If you attempt to reach him, state your case with brevity and politeness (of course).

Email adam.stewart@sri.sandals.com
Personal Twitter @AdamStewart
It worked! Sent the email to Adam Stewart last night and got a response today from Sandals Manager of Customer Loyalty. The points I needed immediately appeared on my Visa account and I applied them for my 3 free nights. Thanks all for your suggestions. You're awesome!

Jan 6, 2015
It worked! Sent the email to Adam Stewart last night and got a response today from Sandals Manager of Customer Loyalty. The points I needed immediately appeared on my Visa account and I applied them for my 3 free nights. Thanks all for your suggestions. You're awesome!
I would encourage you to send a follow up email thanking the CEO ...

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
YAAAY! As I read Samanthan's (awful) story, I said to myself that Chris is the only hope here. Talk about a bureaucratic runaround! This one should get a prize.