Bank of America & America's Best Value Inn

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 10, 2018
Last year I was scheduled to fly to Cleveland OH on 7-14-2017 – 7-17-2017, and stay at America’s Best Value Inn. I booked the hotel with points of 21, 723 for the quick weekend.

Upon arriving at the airport in Philadelphia PA I received an email walking into the airport that my flight on American Airlines was cancelled due to the weather. Disappointed I leave and contact the hotel to let them know that my flight was canceled due to the weather. Speaking with a representative from the hotel I was told that I would need to contact Bank of America about getting my points back that I used since I had to cancel the reservation. I was driving at the moment, and I had no way to write down the cancellation# I was given. I stated that I would call back once I was home.

Upon arriving home, I called, and was told that the front desk was too busy, and I was asked to call back the next day. Calling back the next day I called Bank of America travel and explained what happened, and they called America’s Best Value Inn and was told that I didn’t cancel the reservation. Being very upset, I hung up the phone. I received a letter from Bank of America travel a few days later, and I took it upon myself to go into a Bank of America branch and speak to someone. The person who greeted me read the letter, and upon seeing that it came from the travel dept stated he couldn’t help me. No questions asked at all.

I waited months being upset that I’m not able to get my points back and then I decided to call Bank of America again. I spoke to Kordlya on 4-27-2018, and I explained what happened and she stated that she would write it all up, and confirmed I booked it on 6-20-2017 using 21, 723 points. She stated I would receive a letter, and email in five to 7 business days. I received the letter on 5-5-2018 indicating to contact the travel dept. I called on Monday 5-7-18 and spoke to Carey in the travel dept, who transferred me to Andriana her suprv who called America’s Best Value Inn and was told that since I didn’t cancel my reservation.

I spoke to someone on 5-7-2018 at the hotel, and explained the issue, and was told that the policy is that you must cancel the day before by 3pm. I explained that I got to the airport and my flight was cancelled because of the weather coming out of Philadelphia PA, and if it wasn’t cancelled then IU would have used the reservation. She then stated that I would have needed to show proof of the cancellation. I said ok where do I send it? Then she stated to give a number of where I could be called back. I gave a daytime number and didn’t receive any call back. I called back to the hotel the next day 5-8-2018 and spoke to Tracy G who stated she was the manager. She went on to say that the policy was that you had to cancel the day before by 3pm. I again stated that if my flight wasn’t cancelled then I wouldn’t have cancelled, but how can I be penalized for something that was out of my control?

She also stated that I waited to call the next day, and my response was no I called the day of the cancelled flight, but was driving, and once I was home I called back to the hotel and was told to call the next day since they were short staffed.

Now I’m being told by Tracy G. that I’ve waited too long. I just want my points back that I didn’t use. Both America’s Best Value Inn, and Bank of America can have proof that my flight was cancelled. I feel that an injustice was done to me that was out of my control. I’ve been a loyal Bank of America card holder of which I pay my balance in full each month, and on time.

What can be done to satisfy a loyal customer, that isn’t being satisfied, and will probably close out my card account.

Nov 27, 2017
I'm conflicted. I understand that your flight was cancelled and that's why you didn't use the hotel room and would like your points back, however you waited a really long time to do this after the initial roadblock. Since you had booked this with your points, essentially Bank of America is your travel agent and that should have been your first call. Too often, people call the direct hotel or airlines when there is a third party involved and it just muddles everything. Hindsight 20/20. I would suggest getting off the phone and using the contact list for Bank of America. Shorten what you have written here and with bullet points of just the important information. Mention that you are a loyal Bank of America customer and would like some help in recovering your points. Do not make threats or demands. You are asking for them to help you out of something that is out of the ordinary. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Mar 14, 2018
This is an issue for travel insurance. Some BofA cards automatically provide it. I'd suggest checking with BofA to see if yours does.

Sep 19, 2015
Do check if the card has travel insurance. If it does have insurance, there may be a problem with the filing deadlines for a claim, as this happened so long ago.

Most of the coverage requires notification of the cancellation within 60 days.

It is a little problematic that there was no cancellation number recorded down. Perhaps this is not the best type of call to make while driving.

May 10, 2018
I do understand that this isn't the best type of call to make while driving, but I wanted to let the hotel know what had happened, and when I called back once I got home I was told to call back the next day because the front desk was busy. When I called the next time I called BOA first, and explained again the situation, and they called the hotel, and was told I didn't cancel when I did.

Sep 19, 2015
I mentioned the time line of 60 days in case the card has travel insurance.

The problem is proving that there was a cancellation -- which is why a cancellation confirmation is so important.

Bank branches do not have access to the travel department information and often they are a separate but related company.

The computer files may not be readily available for something that happened last July so the hotel may not have any way of knowing what happened, Putting it aside from July to April is problematic.

Have you tried to write to B of A for a goodwill gesture?

I do not have a B of A card so I do not know how it works. With AmEx points one makes the booking and AmEx points are deducted and the amount charged is credited.

Since B of A travel was notified the next day they had no way to cancel the reservation before check in -- they only found out the day after check in. As Ginny123 pointed out, B of A travel was the travel agent in this case.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Kim, BofA has really no connection to their points/travel department. What generally happens is that the bank will redeem your points and pay the hotel in cash ... but I'm not sure when they do that, before or after your stay. A cancellation fee is charged if you cancel after the hotel's deadline. It doesn't matter why you have to cancel. If you don't have a cancellation number from your phone call, there's no proof that you did so.

I would write a concise, polite email to BofA's points/travel people asking for an exception to their rules. While it's not your fault that weather cancelled your flight, neither is it the hotel's or BofA's fault. Tell them that you didn't understand the cancellation policy, weren't sure who to call to cancel the room, didn't write down the Xll number ... and freely admit that you made errors ... throw yourself on their mercy ... we sometimes call this "artful begging". Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

May 10, 2018
So to give an update on my issue with my points from my BoA credit card and trying to have them returned since my airline flight was cancelled, and I never took the trip, or stayed in the hotel that I booked using my credit card points. So I decided to send an email to the CEO, which I have done to my cell phone carrier in the past. Also the place where I am employed when you send a letter to the president, or CEO we have a dept that handles any correspondence that comes in. I was hoping that BoA had something like this as well.

On 5-22-18 I sent off my letter at 10:22am, and received a call from someone who was handling my issue at 12:11pm. We went through 3 days of playing phone tag, but I am happy to say that I spoke to the person at BoA yesterday, and they are going to return all of my points back to my credit card. No it's not something that they usually do, but she researched my account, and saw all the issues I tried getting this handled, and the fact that the cancellation was caused due to no fault of my own, and was out of my control, and also the fact that they would like to keep me as a customer. Her statement....So I am happy to say that this worked out in my favor, and I just wanted to give an update