Bank fraud help

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 19, 2019
I had USAA for my checking account last year and reported a debit card lost/stolen in June 2019 via the phone system. In late July 2019, prior to leaving for Montreal, I noticed that I still had no received a new debit card. During this time, I was overseas and was home for a short time prior to leaving for Montreal. I called USAA again and was told that a new debit card wasn't ordered and the old wasn't closed down. This time they closed the old debit card & opened a new one. I also instituted a fraud claim; however, I learned several days later that the fraud case wasn't opened. Originally, USAA gave me the money back as provisional credit which they are required todo under Reg E. After several days, they took the provisional credit back and stated fraud didn't happen. Phone conversations took place with the fraud rep and I instated that I didn't make any of the charges and wanted my money back. I offered to obtain a police report and they said they don't accept them. When I asked why they were denying my claim, they said that "account was being monitored" and a deposit was made. I explained that I was out of country and my brother (whom has since passed away) made a deposit in the account for me. In September 2019, USAA closed the account and charged off the balance owed. I still disputed this whole thing with them, and tried to get them to reverse their decision. I've filed 2 complaints with the CFPB over USAA and how I didn't make those charges. A few weeks ago, I was notified that USAA sent my account to collections agency for payment. I'm looking for some assistance here. I've out $1100 bucks, if not more due to fees being charged from USSA. I was going to reach out those the contacts for USAA listed on this site, but wasn't sure if I should at this point. All I do is want my money back and the account removed from collections.

Jan 6, 2015
Please check your dates: "In September 2019, USAA closed the account and charged off the balance owed" is not possible.

Aug 19, 2019
Did you actually have money in the account that was yours when they closed the account?
No there was no money in the account when USAA closed it. It was overdrawn because USAA reversed the temporary credit they gave me. As a result of the account being overdrawn, USAA charged it off and closed it.

Jan 6, 2015
Since yours is a debit card, this may be a case where they have ruled "no fraud" because a PIN is needed to use the card. Logically, from their viewpoint, the PIN could not have been used unless it was you and someone with whom you shared the PIN. That or you have a PIN like "1234" . . .

Aug 19, 2019
Since yours is a debit card, this may be a case where they have ruled "no fraud" because a PIN is needed to use the card. Logically, from their viewpoint, the PIN could not have been used unless it was you and someone with whom you shared the PIN. That or you have a PIN like "1234" . . .
I can understand that but I'm certain that there was a skimming device where my pin was captured and hence my debit card used. I just don't understand how I offered to provide a police report and it was rejected. I've worked in financial institutions and now do internal audits for financial institutions and have seen plenty of cases where a skimming device was used or though to be used and when a police report is obtained, it gives validity to the fraud charges.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts on top of our page and under banking are contacts for USAA. Start writing one at time starting with the first executive.

You really need to open a new account. Someone got hold of your info and has accessed your account so you don’t want anything to do with thsyvokd account.

Aug 19, 2019
We have company contacts on top of our page and under banking are contacts for USAA. Start writing one at time starting with the first executive.

You really need to open a new account. Someone got hold of your info and has accessed your account so you don’t want anything to do with thsyvokd account.
okay, I'll work on contacting the first executive first and seem what happens. I've opened a new account at a different institution.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Did you actually file a Police Report at the time of the Fraud? Have you ever written USAA with your claim and Police Report. Or was this back and forth all in the phone?

Aug 19, 2019
Did you actually file a Police Report at the time of the Fraud? Have you ever written USAA with your claim and Police Report. Or was this back and forth all in the phone?
I did not file a police report at the time as I was told USAA wouldn't accept it. The majority of the discussions were over the phone. The only writing that I received from them was a letter outlining why they claimed fraud didn't happen.

Sep 19, 2015
I had USAA for my checking account last year and reported a debit card lost/stolen in June 2019 via the phone system. In late July 2019, prior to leaving for Montreal, I noticed that I still had no received a new debit card. During this time, I was overseas and was home for a short time prior to leaving for Montreal. I called USAA again and was told that a new debit card wasn't ordered and the old wasn't closed down. This time they closed the old debit card & opened a new one. I also instituted a fraud claim; however, I learned several days later that the fraud case wasn't opened. Originally, USAA gave me the money back as provisional credit which they are required todo under Reg E. After several days, they took the provisional credit back and stated fraud didn't happen. Phone conversations took place with the fraud rep and I instated that I didn't make any of the charges and wanted my money back. I offered to obtain a police report and they said they don't accept them. When I asked why they were denying my claim, they said that "account was being monitored" and a deposit was made. I explained that I was out of country and my brother (whom has since passed away) made a deposit in the account for me. In September 2019, USAA closed the account and charged off the balance owed. I still disputed this whole thing with them, and tried to get them to reverse their decision. I've filed 2 complaints with the CFPB over USAA and how I didn't make those charges. A few weeks ago, I was notified that USAA sent my account to collections agency for payment. I'm looking for some assistance here. I've out $1100 bucks, if not more due to fees being charged from USSA. I was going to reach out those the contacts for USAA listed on this site, but wasn't sure if I should at this point. All I do is want my money back and the account removed from collections.
Did you ever notify USAA via writing?

Why did they state fraud never happened?

My debit card was cloned from a skimming device --and camera was the thought on how the PIN was recorded -- and likely from a proper ATM. My bank noticed it before I did - I was traveling out of the country so this was a significant inconvenience. But they sent me documentation to fill out and a new card.

Where these online purchases or what kind of charges? Why did USAA claim that there was no fraud?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is sounds absolutely horrible ... this USAA must hold the prize of the worst customer service ever. For someone to take your phone call but not help you is really nasty. It's difficult to imagine that a bank employee doesn't even know how serious a fraud situation is. I hope you use our Company Contacts and raise a huge fuss. Best of luck, and please let us know the outcome.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
This is sounds absolutely horrible ... this USAA must hold the prize of the worst customer service ever. For someone to take your phone call but not help you is really nasty. It's difficult to imagine that a bank employee doesn't even know how serious a fraud situation is. I hope you use our Company Contacts and raise a huge fuss. Best of luck, and please let us know the outcome.
USAA actually has some of the best customer service in the business. This narrative has serious date issues and discrepancies.

Feb 3, 2019
When I asked why they were denying my claim, they said that "account was being monitored" and a deposit was made. I explained that I was out of country and my brother (whom has since passed away) made a deposit in the account for me
How did your brother make the deposit? Any chance he had a second debit card to use at an ATM? It doesn't really make sense that deposits to your account by any other means would cause USAA to doubt your claims of fraudulent activity.

How soon after your card went missing did you report it lost/stolen? Did you follow an automated cancellation/reissuance process the first time you called USAA, or did you speak with a representative? Is it possible you didn't complete the entire transaction properly?

I get emails from USAA pretty much every time I make any kind of change on my account, so I'd be very surprised if you had successfully completed the full lost card reporting process and didn't get any kind of confirmation message. It's been a while since I actually called USAA to replace a lost debit card, though - it's so much faster and easier to do so online, and I got confirmation right away last time I had to do so.

Feb 17, 2018
USAA actually has some of the best customer service in the business. This narrative has serious date issues and discrepancies.
Actually they consistently have one of the highest member satisfaction ratings in the industry. They are different from many other companies in the banking and insurance industry as you have to be a military member, veteran or family (spouse and children) of either just to become a become member. It is not a publicly or privately held company, but a members company, where the membership votes on those sitting on the governing board.

https://thefinancialbrand.com/75192/usaa-financial-brand-loyalty-customer-satisfaction/

I've been overseas for years and still monitor my account all the time by logging in online, email and text. I lost my debit card last year while in France, I went online reported it, received confirmation of my report via both email and text within minutes. Received a new card a within a week. Due to the complexity of the financial crimes today, consumers have to be a bit more proactive and use all the tools available to monitor their accounts.

Can't really comment on what happen here since we only have one side of the story , but if you have already filed a complaint to CFPB, I think you have taken this beyond what this sites contacts are going to be able to help with. You may want a lawyer to look over everything to see if there is anything you can do through the legal system.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
My son had accounts with USAA. His credit card was most likely skimmed while on a cross country trip.
They treated him the same way.
He pulled all of his accounts. So much for treating our military good. He has (Navy) friends with similar stories.