Bait-and-switch Iberia gift card

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This promotion of a gift card on the Iberia site is crystal clear. The gift card is not good on Level Airlines. It's good on the entities listed on the promotion. Do I think the method of promotion is ethical? Absolutely not.

Our OP's receipt states: “Valid for direct and connecting flights operated by all airlines offered on iberia.com.” This sentence is also crystal clear. If this Level flight was booked on Iberia.com, they should honor the use of the gift card. What steps did you take before filing the CC dispute?

Normally, we would advise that you formally ask Iberia in writing to accept your Level booking using the gift card. Inform them that you carefully read the terms before you purchased the card. Give them ten business days, then file a credit card dispute.

But I believe if the dispute's been filed you'll have to wait until that's settled ... can it be suspended? I don't see the CC finding in your favor if they don't have all the relevant facts. In cases like yours, probably 90% of the problems are the fault of the consumer because they didn't research what they were buying. But you read it all carefully. I'm concerned that your CC will just look on the surface of the reason for your dispute. Perhaps you can inform your CC of all the facts so they can see what really happened ... Iberia's marketing department was not in synch with their booking people. Iberia made a mistake.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
I think the best that can be said is that the terms are ambiguous, and Iberia was the drafter of the terms which, as JSN suggests, don't quite match.

And I don't know what a consumer should do in this situation. Had OP called Iberia and Iberia said the offer was good on Level 1, Iberia could later say that the rep was misinformed. Even if OP had written Iberia and received a written response that Level 1 was OK for use of the GC, the program apparently was written to prevent Iberia's GCs from being used for Level 1 tickets. I've encountered that situation before, where the language the marketing folks use does not quite match what the sales department thinks the deal is. As JSN notes, you will need a solid presentation to your credit card that you did not get the benefit of your bargain to get a refund. I wish you well.

Reactions: VoR61

smd

Mar 14, 2018
This promotion of a gift card on the Iberia site is crystal clear. The gift card is not good on Level Airlines. It's good on the entities listed on the promotion.
What language are you referring to? As far as I can tell, no one has found any language that lists the entities where the gift card is valid. All the gift card language I've seen refers to flights "operated" by a list of entities and published in iberia.com. Level flights are operated by Iberia and published in iberia.com.

Reactions: VoR61

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What language are you referring to? As far as I can tell, no one has found any language that lists the entities where the gift card is valid. All the gift card language I've seen refers to flights "operated" by a list of entities and published in iberia.com. Level flights are operated by Iberia and published in iberia.com.
The original post, the receipt and Post #17

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is the second paragraph of the original post:
The webpage for the Valentine's Day promotion clearly indicated that the gift card could be used for “the purchase of any flight offered on iberia.com operated by Iberia…” I read closely the terms and conditions, which state that the card is “Valid for direct and connecting flights operated by all airlines offered on iberia.com.” After I purchased this gift card, my email receipt indicated that it was valid for “flights operated by Iberia…”

Seems to me that Iberia is not being straightforward with the terms of this promotion. I think most everyone would have called before purchasing the gift card, but reports of long hold times probably made that a non-starter. I'm giving up now.

Apr 14, 2021
Well I was denied by the credit card company on my appeal, they invited me to reopen the dispute with more extensive information which I did, and I found out today they have denied again. I appreciate all of the very thoughtful comments people have posted here. I don’t think I will get anywhere with the airline and the contacts on this great website. I’m not sure what to do now.

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
Well I was denied by the credit card company on my appeal, they invited me to reopen the dispute with more extensive information which I did, and I found out today they have denied again. I appreciate all of the very thoughtful comments people have posted here. I don’t think I will get anywhere with the airline and the contacts on this great website. I’m not sure what to do now.
If the gift cards are transferable, you might be able to sell them to someone else.

Reactions: Comicman