Bahia Principe Privilege Club

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 12, 2018
While vacationing at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, my wife and I foolishly signed a membership with their Privilege Club (Dba White Bay Trading Company) after accepting a drink of what we were later told was homemade alcohol. We were told they were affiliated with Royal Caribbean, they were not a timeshare, and we would receive significant discounts on travel not only with their properties but also for air travel and partnerships with other major hotel brands. All of this was false.
We contacted the company when we returned home (9 days later) by email, phone and certified letter to cancel; and after receiving no response, we put a hold on our credit card. They are arguing the dispute with the credit card company, stating the contract cannot be canceled and is enforceable through Panamanian law.
We paid the deposit with Visa, is that is of any matter.
The internet is rife with complaints regarding this company; sadly, we did not check before purchasing. Does anyone know of any way to extradite ourselves from this situation, or do we just bite the bullet and chalk this up to a learning experience?
We would like our contract canceled and money paid to be reimbursed. We are even willing to forego the deposit we paid if all further charges are dismissed and the contract canceled.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
While vacationing at Grand Bahia Principe La Romana, my wife and I foolishly signed a membership with their Privilege Club (Dba White Bay Trading Company) after accepting a drink of what we were later told was homemade alcohol. We were told they were affiliated with Royal Caribbean, they were not a timeshare, and we would receive significant discounts on travel not only with their properties but also for air travel and partnerships with other major hotel brands. All of this was false.
We contacted the company when we returned home (9 days later) by email, phone and certified letter to cancel; and after receiving no response, we put a hold on our credit card. They are arguing the dispute with the credit card company, stating the contract cannot be canceled and is enforceable through Panamanian law.
We paid the deposit with Visa, is that is of any matter.
The internet is rife with complaints regarding this company; sadly, we did not check before purchasing. Does anyone know of any way to extradite ourselves from this situation, or do we just bite the bullet and chalk this up to a learning experience?
We would like our contract canceled and money paid to be reimbursed. We are even willing to forego the deposit we paid if all further charges are dismissed and the contract canceled.
Did they breach the contract, or was what you were promised only verbal? If they are not adhering to the written contract terms you may have a case.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
You need to consult an attorney to review the contract and see if it "is enforceable through Panamanian law. " You also may wish to cancel the credit card you used since Privilege Club can access it without your knowledge.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
These people definitely play hardball and they're VERY good at it. At least you're up front about being responsible ... home-made alcohol ... what next? My non-legal advice is to send them a letter stating that you want the contract cancelled. And cancel the credit card that they have. Don't just get a new card with a new number, cancel the account and leave it alone for at least a year. Some CC companies will process charges like this on the "old account number", just transferring the charge to your new account number. I suppose they could come after you, but perhaps they won't. You'll lose whatever you paid them for sure. If they do threaten legal action (in the US) you'd need to retain the services of an attorney.