Bahia Principe Bavaro Punta Cana

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 30, 2018
If you have not gotten hold of them consider downloading Skype or something similar and calling from the lobby. SOuthwest Vacations May have had wrong information as the resort says wifi in lobby only.

NO a/c is definitely something to complain about and should be something that is attended to immediately.

And I agree waiting for email contacts is not realistic when one has landed and checked in and is having a problem.
You are correct: writing company contacts now would not provide immediate help. OP previously said he wrote *all* of the contacts simultaneously which is not what this forum advises. I should have clarified that writing is appropriate if OP can't get this resolved via phone or Skype with SW vacations. My bad.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Have you gone back to the front desk and tried talking to the manager again to another room of upgrade? When you book through an OTA like this and not s real travel agent you have to advocate for yourself. There is no one else to do it for you. We can’t do anything from here but provide you with phone numbers.

Give management another try.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you have not gotten hold of them consider downloading Skype or something similar and calling from the lobby. SOuthwest Vacations May have had wrong information as the resort says wifi in lobby only.

NO a/c is definitely something to complain about and should be something that is attended to immediately.

And I agree waiting for email contacts is not realistic when one has landed and checked in and is having a problem.
If you are at Grand Bahia Principe, Southwests website says there is only wi fi in public areas- not in
rooms:

Wireless internet connection in public areas

Feb 3, 2017
Are you saying they won't even get rid of the bugs and clean the room - or, preferably - move you to a room with A/C even if in the same category?

If they won't even do these things for you, I'd keep up communication with management, in person if possible - if you can't get through to Southwest Vacations. Stay calm and reasonable and explain a dirty room with bugs and no AC is not acceptable -

I can't believe they won't at least do the minimum - terrible customer service.

Sep 19, 2015
If you are at Grand Bahia Principe, Southwests website says there is only wi fi in public areas- not in
rooms:

Wireless internet connection in public areas
Well then that is one complaint that should be dropped and focus on the lack of air conditioning.

I should have checked that I thiught it may be a case of an OTA not having the correct information but it appears they do.

Ac can hopefully be repaired and room cleaned or OP moved to another room without paying more.

as to the wifi — OP if this is the second time there isn’t the wifi issue the same — as in lobby only?

Jul 6, 2019
Have you gone back to the front desk and tried talking to the manager again to another room of upgrade? When you book through an OTA like this and not s real travel agent you have to advocate for yourself. There is no one else to do it for you. We can’t do anything from here but provide you with phone numbers.

Give management another try.
We ended up paying another $700 through the hotel after Southwest never got back to us.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
We ended up paying another $700 through the hotel after Southwest never got back to us.
If SW Vacations failed to respond on its 24 hr emergency # you should take this up with them (SW) when you return. SW is actually more responsive than other airlines to customers and you should ask for some flight coupons or credits. They might cover a significant part of your $700. It certainly does not hurt to ask. They are more likely to be responsive to you than Bahia Principe will be.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/southwest-airlines-co/

Jul 6, 2019
SW Vacations is now telling to send an email to a specific group who may take 30 days to look at our credit request. After they spoke to the resort on the phone yesterday the resort refused to credit us back. :(

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
SW Vacations is now telling to send an email to a specific group who may take 30 days to look at our credit request. After they spoke to the resort on the phone yesterday the resort refused to credit us back. :(
You upgraded to the other side of the resort- I’m not sure what you expected the resort to refund you at this point.

What you need to do is file a complaint with SW when you get home and wait and see what they do. Take the WiFi issue out of the complaint- SW’s website says there is only WiFi in public areas so that’s not a valid claim.

Your issue with SW is that you couldn’t get hold of them to get you moved to a clean room when management refused to move you. That’s a legitimate complaint and the only one you should focus on.

Jul 6, 2019
You upgraded to the other side of the resort- I’m not sure what you expected the resort to refund you at this point.

What you need to do is file a complaint with SW when you get home and wait and see what they do. Take the WiFi issue out of the complaint- SW’s website says there is only WiFi in public areas so that’s not a valid claim.

Your issue with SW is that you couldn’t get hold of them to get you moved to a clean room when management refused to move you. That’s a legitimate complaint and the only one you should focus on.
True, but my beef is this. The short period of time I actually was able to get a hold of SW on the phone, they forced me to speak to the resort rep whose name is Amstar which also happens to be our shuttle company we booked through SW. Common sense says Amstar and the resort work together which shows favoritism no? That’s not something SW should have done if they really wanted to help us. That, to me at least, sent a message to us even from SW, that we’re out of luck. Not cool.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
True, but my beef is this. The short period of time I actually was able to get a hold of SW on the phone, they forced me to speak to the resort rep whose name is Amstar which also happens to be our shuttle company we booked through SW. Common sense says Amstar and the resort work together which shows favoritism no? That’s not something SW should have done if they really wanted to help us. That, to me at least, sent a message to us even from SW, that we’re out of luck. Not cool.
You will need to take this up with SW when you return. Do NOT accuse SW of favoritism. Resorts and booking sites work with preferred providers; that is how they work to get you the low prices that caused you to book with them. You need to list the real issues that you had (room not clean, no AC, unwilling to fix the issues, no response to SW 24 hr helpline).

In the future, book directly with the resort on their website, or use a real live travel agent to book your package tour.

Keep your list short and very clear. It will take weeks (or months) to get this resolved. You will likely need to go up the SW contact chain emailing ONE at a time and ONE per week.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Jul 6, 2019
You will need to take this up with SW when you return. Do NOT accuse SW of favoritism. Resorts and booking sites work with preferred providers; that is how they work to get you the low prices that caused you to book with them. You need to list the real issues that you had (room not clean, no AC, unwilling to fix the issues, no response to SW 24 hr helpline).

In the future, book directly with the resort on their website, or use a real live travel agent to book your package tour.

Keep your list short and very clear. It will take weeks (or months) to get this resolved. You will likely need to go up the SW contact chain emailing ONE at a time and ONE per week.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Great info and I appreciate your input.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Amstar is their representative on the ground. This is how these companies claim they have reps. at the hotels. Amstar is supposed to fix things. Didn’t they try to get you moved to another room?

Amstar represents many of the OTAs and their job is to assist you, the consumer.

This is the first we have heard Amstar was involved. What did they or didn’t they do? Did they try to help you?

Jul 6, 2019
Amstar is their representative on the ground. This is how these companies claim they have reps. at the hotels. Amstar is supposed to fix things. Didn’t they try to get you moved to another room?

Amstar represents many of the OTAs and their job is to assist you, the consumer.

This is the first we have heard Amstar was involved. What did they or didn’t they do? Did they try to help you?
They tried to get us a lower rate and they did go a bit lower but not much.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They tried to get us a lower rate and they did go a bit lower but not much.
For the new resort or the original? Did they try to get you moved in the original resort you were in?

Esmeralda is the top resort in that complex. It offers use of all the resorts in the complex, Butler Service on request, 24 hour room service and turn down, and upgraded services. It prices out higher the what you paid although if you had booked that originally it probably wouldn’t have cost that much extra. I just priced the difference between the two resorts for this week through a supplier and the price difference is less but you are getting a walk up price.

I just priced the difference on SW Vacations between the two resorts. It’s only a $250 difference between a junior suite at Esmeralda vs a Jr Suite at Grand Bahia.

When you get home, try to work with SW and see if they can get you a refund of the difference. I would think that none of the resorts in Punta Cana are sold out with the bad publicity that they are getting right now and I think you were taken advantage of.

I would suggest when you get home price both on SW Vacations and do screen prints showing the small difference. Use our company contacts to go beyond Customer Service if you need to. But enjoy the rest of your stay right now.

Jul 6, 2019
For the new resort or the original? Did they try to get you moved in the original resort you were in?

Esmeralda is the top resort in that complex. It offers use of all the resorts in the complex, Butler Service on request, 24 hour room service and turn down, and upgraded services. It prices out at much higher the what you paid although if you had booked that originally it probably wouldn’t have cost that much extra. I just priced the difference between the two resorts for this week through a supplier and the price difference is less but you are getting a walk up price.

I just priced the difference on SW Vacations between the two resorts. It’s only a $250 difference between a junior suite at Esmeralda vs a Jr Suite at Grand Bahia.

When you get home, try to work with SW and see if they can get you a refund of the difference. I would think that none of the resorts in Punta Cana are sold out with the bad publicity that they are getting right now and I think you were taken advantage of.

I would suggest when you get home price both on SW Vacations and do screen prints showing the small difference. Use our company contacts to go beyond Customer Service if you need to. But enjoy the rest of your stay right now.
I’m not so much concerned about the prices now vs when I booked. I’m more concerned about the fact that everyone knew my son has asthma and they couldn’t do a thing to help.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Curious what Asthma has to do with this issue. I deal with it daily and you knew that when you went to Mexico. Also a place I enjoy.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What does asthma now have to do with any of this? Your original complaint never mentioned any of this - your original complaint was that the place was dirty, no ac, had bugs and had no wifi (which you felt was false advertising but the website did not say there was wifi in any areas other than public areas so that is an invalid complaint).

You complained about the cost of upgrading and now you are saying that all you are concerned about is your sons asthma. Your complaint was that they were charging you $770 to more to the better side - we are trying to tell you how to approach SW vacations when you get home to get a partial refund.

One thing you haven't answered is if Amstar could have had you moved to a different room in the original room.

Right now, if I booked the Esmeralda from today for 7 nights, the price is only $250 difference between the other resort. It has nothing to do with when you booked - right now you are paying at least $450 more than SW's website shows Esmeralda for. They are charging you $700. Use this information to request SW try to obtain a $450 refund for you for moving you.

You have a valid complaint about what they are charging you to move. Use the information we are giving you to negotiate with SW Vacations about the price. They should have been able to handle this for you - our suppliers do this all the time and I would not have expected my client to be charged more than what the going rate on SW's own website shows.

Jul 6, 2019
What does asthma now have to do with any of this? Your original complaint never mentioned any of this - your original complaint was that the place was dirty, no ac, had bugs and had no wifi (which you felt was false advertising but the website did not say there was wifi in any areas other than public areas so that is an invalid complaint).

You complained about the cost of upgrading and now you are saying that all you are concerned about is your sons asthma. Your complaint was that they were charging you $770 to more to the better side - we are trying to tell you how to approach SW vacations when you get home to get a partial refund.

One thing you haven't answered is if Amstar could have had you moved to a different room in the original room.

Right now, if I booked the Esmeralda from today for 7 nights, the price is only $250 difference between the other resort. It has nothing to do with when you booked - right now you are paying at least $450 more than SW's website shows Esmeralda for. They are charging you $700. Use this information to request SW try to obtain a $450 refund for you for moving you.

You have a valid complaint about what they are charging you to move. Use the information we are giving you to negotiate with SW Vacations about the price. They should have been able to handle this for you - our suppliers do this all the time and I would not have expected my client to be charged more than what the going rate on SW's own website shows.
Should I call Southwest back and let them know?

Jul 6, 2019

Amstar couldn’t move us as the hotel said they’re booked.